Coral Vue Hydros

10g Reef Stocking Question

ManUtdReef

ManUtdReef

Recently, I've been thinking about starting a 10g reef aquarium. I plan to run with no skimmer/filter, just water changes. I would like to keep some softies and LPS. However, I am unsure of how many fish I would be able to keep without filtration of any kind.

I've made a small list of fish I am interested in:

Black Cap Basslet

Macneill's Assessor Basslet

Gold Assessor Basslet

Helfrichi Firefish

Yasha Goby w/ Shrimp

Black Ice Ocellaris Clownfish

What combination of fish would be acceptbale? Any help would be appreciated.

Are you planning on at least having powerheads to push the water through the live rock as well as gas out any co2 that acclimates? If so I would add 1 maybe 2 fish but thats pushing it. I would highly recommend even just a HOB filter. As for combinations I would not mix different species of basslets but other than that any combo would be fine. My favorite combo out of that list would be the black ice clown and maybe a gold assessor. But once again if you go with two fish I would very strongly recommend a HOB filter with carbon and filter pads.

First off, awesome choices! Nice to see some interest in Black Caps and Assessors. I'd go with an Assessor with the firefish. Or the Basslet with the Clown. With good maintenance you could add the goby to either list.

EDIT: Just saw you're running no-filter, I'd do the Assessor/Basslet/Firefish with the goby.

ManUtdReef

@Bingo1213 yes, I do plan to have two hydro koralia nanos. If I did use a hob filter. How frequently would I need to change the filter pads?

Roshan8768

I would put Filterfloss and any chemical filtration that you want in the HOB. The floss would need to be rinsed out at least once a week. Twice a week would probably be better

A modded AC70 or AC110 would be great, and filter floss would only need to be changed once a week. If you buy poly pad by the square yard, it's extremely inexpensive and you just toss the old one and put a new one in, it takes about 5 seconds.

ManUtdReef

So it would be two fish at the maximum with no filter, but I could get a third with the addition of a filter?

I would say 2 without and 3 with but your life will be much easier if you decide to get a HOB filter lol.

The Aqua Clear's seem to be the best for reef tanks since all the media is separated unlike the Aqueon models where the filter floss and carbon are in the same cartridge. I ran a 10 gallon with a HOB aqua clear for 8 months without any problems. I tore down the tank and to upgrade to a 25 with a sump for more room.

ManUtdReef

Alright, then I guess I'll get a filter. But, what effect would the clownfish have on his inhabitants. My old Ocellaris pair weren't a problem except when feeding. However, I never really saw much of my firefish. I don't know how reclusive fish like firefish or assessor would react to a clownfish's prescense.

I have an Ocellaris clown, a purple firefish, and a bangaii cardinal in my 25 gallon and everybody is always out and getting along nicely. :)

When I had my 10 gallon I would change the carbon out every two weeks. I used a refillable media bag and filled it with carbon and rinsed it before adding it to the tank. I also rinsed my filter blocks out every 5 to 7 days to keep nitrates down.

I have a 10gal with an AC70 with filter block and carbon. I rinse my block out every two weeks. I have one fish two snails and two crabs. I also do gallon water changes every week

Archived