Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question on IM minimax aio media reactor..

HOTWATER

I have recently set up a jbj rimless 30 aio tank, and after doing some thinking and research I've come up with some questions as to what you all would do if you had this tank?

I definitely will be trying my luck with the cad pls-50 protien skimmer on one side of the chambers of the tank.

On the other side my original plan was to get an upgraded media basket and do what allot of folks do around here and run floss, chemipure elite, and purigen. It works great for my jbj 8, but I've come across the IM nano media reactors and wonder if adding the smaller one with gfo, or bio pellets would also show improvement to the water quality? Any thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated.

I'm planning on running chemipure elite and purigen, and a skimmer, as well as some chaeto in the rear chambers of my Nuvo 16. It seems like a really easy and convenient solution. But, from what I've been reading, it's more cost effective, as well as functionally effective, to use separate media - carbon and gfo - which is what you're using the chemipure elite for anyway. It also seems to be well accepted that the "ion exchange resin" doesn't do anything beneficial in a saltwater aquarium. My plan is to see how SPS fare in my tank with the setup like you described. If that's not working well enough, I'll be adding the IM media reactor to run GFO in place of the chaeto.

Sounds good Steve, I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the bio balls or whatever you want to call them and it seems if I do the reactor it would be for gfo as well. I've even thought of doing 2 reactors with carbon in 1 and gfo in the other. I wonder if the media in the baskets (chemipure elite(carbon and small amounts of gfo) gets enough water flow through to make it as effective as possible?

Sounds good Steve, I've been reading a lot of mixed reviews on the bio balls or whatever you want to call them and it seems if I do the reactor it would be for gfo as well. I've even thought of doing 2 reactors with carbon in 1 and gfo in the other. I wonder if the media in the baskets (chemipure elite(carbon and small amounts of gfo) gets enough water flow through to make it as effective as possible?
GFO needs to tumble in a reactor to work properly. I just run 1 reactor with GFO and no other media.

Thanks for the info lawnman, now I just need to figure out which reactor to get. I'm pretty sold on the IM design and ease of use. But the size is the question now. The desktop version or the midsize??

Archived