inTank Media Baskets

New coral growing on a 2 year old rock, need ID

markalot

So first off I do have 3 pocillopora's in this tank and I thought that was what I was dealing with here, but these polyps look strange to me. Pictured are what I believe are newer growth with older growth behind showing a rather bright green. I don't have anything with polyps this long.

xsss.jpg

This is on a two year old frag of Rainbow Montipora and the monti has never encrusted this area. It's had these long thread like things (just to the left of these polyps, for example) forever in this area, but never this.

Thanks.

whatever it is, it looks hungry lol. I'd feed it ;)

Looks like a species of ball nem to me, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the ideas. :) The more I compare it to my poci's the more I think it's a poci. There are striations on the polyps, and the number of tentacles is correct, but the longer sweeper like tentacles are missing.

This is my green poci from another tank.

q6dc.jpg

Looks like Ball Anemones, they can spring up anywhere, and its sting would be why the monti never encrusted that particular area most likely.

Snow_Phoenix

Monitor it and see how it grows up for a while. Right now everyone is juggling between Poci and Ball nem, but only time will tell. Do keep us updated when it grows though - would love to see what this little guy actually is down the road.

hypostatic

definitely not a ball nem. at least not a single one. The size, shape, and number of the tentacles all all wrong for ball nems.

My bet is that it is some type of colonial anemone. Maybe something along the lines of corynactis californica, except a warm-water variant? The size of the polyps make me think that it's definitely not a pocilloporid. If you touch it, and it retracts, do you see any hard skeleton that might indicate that it is a pocilloporid?

My bet is that it is some type of colonial anemone. Maybe something along the lines of corynactis californica, except a warm-water variant? The size of the polyps make me think that it's definitely not a pocilloporid. If you touch it, and it retracts, do you see any hard skeleton that might indicate that it is a pocilloporid?

I have not touched it but it can retract rapidly. There is a protruding skeleton of some sort behind this so I'm waiting patiently to see what this area does. It could be I have to different beats growing on this rock. :)

My Pocilliopora, see the tips and polyp size. Since Pocilliopora is one of those sps that has the ability to use polyp bail out as a means of asexual reproduction. That particular piece may just be showing exaggerated polyp extention, or the coral might be trying to kill off the Montipora right next to it.

pidec21.jpg

tank22005pocillpora.jpg

Excellent example NicoS, thanks!

My Pocilliopora, see the tips and polyp size. Since Pocilliopora is one of those sps that has the ability to use polyp bail out as a means of asexual reproduction. That particular piece may just be showing exaggerated polyp extention, or the coral might be trying to kill off the Montipora right next to it.

Archived