Top Shelf Aquatics

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

If you come across your pompoms in an embrace one day, this means you got a male/female pair :). It will look like they are fighting, but it's really just you know what :lol:.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you come across your pompoms in an embrace one day, this means you got a male/female pair :). It will look like they are fighting, but it's really just you know what :lol:.

Haven't seen any sexy time yet. I did a quick search on crab sexing and took a flashlight to their undercarriages. I think I either have a male and a female or two females. That would be pretty cool if I ended up with a male/female pair. :)

Haven't seen any sexy time yet. I did a quick search on crab sexing and took a flashlight to their undercarriages. I think I either have a male and a female or two females. That would be pretty cool if I ended up with a male/female pair. :)

When I got my pom pom crab she was carrying eggs and I got to watch her release the little crabs, it was so cool. Unfortunately the babies were quickly eaten by my fish.

Looks like I have gelidium on two of my zoa plugs. I couldn't tell when I first moved them in, but since my trochus has cleaned everything up so well the gelidium is obvious. I have to get some peroxide and then pop them off and do a peroxide dip. I read about putting drops of straight peroxide on it and then rinsing, but I think it's too close to the zoas. It's actually like mixed in between the polyps, and I don't want to kill my rastas or fruit loops. Hopefully the dip is strong enough to take care of the algae.

When I got my pom pom crab she was carrying eggs and I got to watch her release the little crabs, it was so cool. Unfortunately the babies were quickly eaten by my fish.

Can't complain about free food. :lol: I haven't seen an egg sac yet on mine. Maybe I do have two females.

Turns out the gelidium was actually on three of my five zoas. I treated them twice with peroxide. The second time was just this morning because a couple of the pieces still looked dark red. Most of it has taken on that pinkish/orange color already. Hopefully it doesn't grow back. The only one I'm really worried about is the fruit loops. It looks like the algae is coming out from under the zoa mat. I'm wondering if it's growing under there and irritating them since they are the only ones still not opening up. Plus that means the peroxide didn't get to it, so I'll have to keep a close eye on them.

Going to the penguins/ducks opener tonight. Never really been a hockey fan personally, but when in Rome...

• 2 weeks later...

Good and bad news. Looks like the peroxide took care of the gelidium. Haven't seen any regrowth so far. Bad news is that one of my crabs died. Not sure why. I don't know if they fought or if there was just something wrong with the one that never moved.

Also moved my sps in today. I had been planning on waiting a while longer, but we decided to take advantage of this weekend since we had no plans and take down the frag tank. Anyone local need a 20 long and metal stand let me know.

I will get a new fts sometime this week.

Im sorry about your crab. I originally had 2 in my 5 gallon, and lost one of them as well. Never figured out why, but my single crab seems happy to be a single crab :)

Im sorry about your crab. I originally had 2 in my 5 gallon, and lost one of them as well. Never figured out why, but my single crab seems happy to be a single crab :)

Thanks. I thought maybe they weren't getting enough to eat, but like with yours the second one seems fine so far. Maybe two is just too many for a 5 gallon.

Yesterday was water change day, so I did some tests today to get a baseline with the sps in there now. Probably should have done it yesterday but it was late. :closedeyes:

KH - 8?

Ca - 450

Mg - 1300

KH and Mg are both low compared with what ESV advertises. Calcium is spot on. Of course there is also user error in the tests and measurements. The KH test is the one that I really wasn't sure about. I thought I read on here somewhere that a rep from Red Sea told the user to stop as soon as there is color change. If I did that I would have actually been about 7.7dKH. When it reached the pinky brown color it was up around 8.4dKH.

I guess I will test in another day or two and see how much the numbers go down. I have B-Ionic two part on hand in case I need to start dosing. I was hoping that 50% water changes were going to be enough. I could try raising my salinity a bit too. Refractometer says it's just under 1.025 after being calibrated with 0 tds water per instructions.

Yikes! KH dropped a ton since yesterday. It's down around 6.2-6.4 dKH today and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours. Calcium dropped too, from the 450ppm yesterday to 430 today. I guess I will start dosing the two part at the recommended starting dosage and see how things look with that.

Zoas aren't looking too happy today. I'm guessing it is from the low KH. Everything else looks fine. SPS are still adjusting to the new tank, but even they have decent PE.

Yep, definitely start dosing. Your zoas will love you for it :). I would guess you had two poms of the same sex and one killed the other off. IF it wasn't sick to begin with. Sounds like that could be the case too since it never moved.

itsyahboydanny

Yikes! KH dropped a ton since yesterday. It's down around 6.2-6.4 dKH today and it hasn't even been a full 24 hours. Calcium dropped too, from the 450ppm yesterday to 430 today. I guess I will start dosing the two part at the recommended starting dosage and see how things look with that.

Zoas aren't looking too happy today. I'm guessing it is from the low KH. Everything else looks fine. SPS are still adjusting to the new tank, but even they have decent PE.

Hey! I have a quick question. Earlier in this thread you said you added ammonia to test your cycle, how do go about this? Do you buy ammonia to add?

Yep, definitely start dosing. Your zoas will love you for it :). I would guess you had two poms of the same sex and one killed the other off. IF it wasn't sick to begin with. Sounds like that could be the case too since it never moved.

I think I was actually wrong about which one died. It was out and about for awhile, but now it's taken up residence exactly where the "lazy" one was before. I'm guessing that means you are right and the two fought it out.

Are you in San Diego?

I used to be. Moved from San Diego to Pittsburgh last December.

Hey! I have a quick question. Earlier in this thread you said you added ammonia to test your cycle, how do go about this? Do you buy ammonia to add?

I bought the Dr. Tim's ammonia. It comes in a little dropper bottle and you just add like one or two drops per gallon. You can also use pure ammonia from the hardware store, but I was never able to find any. All the ones I found at Home Depot or Lowes had additives. If you use the pure ammonia you will have to do more testing to make sure you are adding it at acceptable levels.

Here's the Dr. Tim's stuff: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24530

itsyahboydanny

I think I was actually wrong about which one died. It was out and about for awhile, but now it's taken up residence exactly where the "lazy" one was before. I'm guessing that means you are right and the two fought it out.

I used to be. Moved from San Diego to Pittsburgh last December.

I bought the Dr. Tim's ammonia. It comes in a little dropper bottle and you just add like one or two drops per gallon. You can also use pure ammonia from the hardware store, but I was never able to find any. All the ones I found at Home Depot or Lowes had additives. If you use the pure ammonia you will have to do more testing to make sure you are adding it at acceptable levels.

Here's the Dr. Tim's stuff: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=24530

awesome thank!

After testing today it looks the the tank is using about ~1dKH per day. That means I need to dose 0.5ml per gallon per day, or ~2ml. I think the tank actually holds more than four gallons, but I'm going to go on the low side for a bit and see how testing goes. I'm going do 1ml of each in the morning and then again in the evening to try to keep the numbers stable.

The tank has been having what looks like a second diatom bloom. From reading it sounds like it can be caused by a quickly increased bio-load (aka overfeeding). I'm sure I was overdoing it with the reef chili so I've cut back on that. I was mostly doing it for the crabs since I felt like they never got anything to eat. Now if only my snail would eat the algae that's in there. He seems to only ever clean the glass and completely ignores the rock. <_<

wow, why would alk and calcium drop so fast?

There are quite a few corals in there now, but I'm hoping that the tank being so young has something to do with it as well. I searched the forum and while not unheard of, it does seem to be on the high end.

Pictures? :)

Here's a q&d shot. I didn't turn off the pumps or change the lighting or anything. It's currently in sunset mode which is why it's so blue.

15603948925_c60739ff5b_c.jpgfts102214 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Looking kind of ugly right now. Hopefully another snail will get the rock cleaned up.

Just asking because I was that nking about going to aquasd. Did you find the mushroom frag in San diego

Some of my stuff is from aqua sd, but only because I ordered online during their live sales. If you are talking about the mushroom I got from a lfs, then no that was a store here in Pittsburgh.

I like it, is it staying bb?

Yep yep. The plan is for those corals on the bottom to cover the glass. The cyphastrea in the back right was already stuck to the glass and the stylocoeniella in the front left is close to it. That one has been growing fast.

My trochus snail is spawning so much the water looks like milk. *gag*

It's still going too. Really makes me not want to put my hands in the tank.

Archived