Cultivated Reef

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

Sooooo, I was thinking about all the extra frags in the frag tank, not to mention the stuff I still want (mini maxi or rock flower, teal trumpets, cloves, maybe some macro - I won't lie, a lot of this was influenced by gena's flower box!) and thought "Oh gracious me, why not just start a second tank?" I also happen to have this lying around:

15221235655_aa512fcb87_c.jpgDSC00563 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

It's a 3 gallon cadlights zen series tank. I even know where it would go:

15221234475_454cccde9b_c.jpgDSC00565 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Two issues. #1 is budget. This couldn't be on the same level as my pico. No mp10s or nanoboxes, unfortunately. #2 is the light. I would need something low profile (and also cheap, see #1) so as to not look ridiculous in front of the picture. No giant goosenecks or lamps which means no kessil, par30/38, etc, etc.

I was thinking about what I have and what I would need. I have two little palm hob filters that I could use for floss, charcoal, and flow. If I need more flow I'm pretty sure I have a tiny little rio90 somewhere. If not those are super cheap. I have several options for rock. I could use the piece I was originally going to use for my pico, but that would mean waiting for the frag tank to come down. I could epoxy together that marco rock into a fun little scape. Or I could try some KPA live rock that everyone seems to love. No heater/controller/ato/skimmer/etc. Strictly low tech tank. The light will definitely be the biggest investment. As much as I would love another nanobox, I'm thinking more in the price range of a buildmyled or reefbreeders nano. I like that the reefbreeders fixture is adjustable, but the mounting could be an issue. I could go even cheaper and get the finnex marine+ fixture. I think it would be okay for lps and softies plus it's only like $55 for the 12" fixture.

When I told my husband what I was thinking tonight he said, "but you don't even have one tank set up yet, and now you want two?" :rolleyes: Besides my TANK is technically set up. There's just nothing in it. <_<

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sooooo, I was thinking about all the extra frags in the frag tank, not to mention the stuff I still want (mini maxi or rock flower, teal trumpets, cloves, maybe some macro - I won't lie, a lot of this was influenced by gena's flower box!) and thought "Oh gracious me, why not just start a second tank?" I also happen to have this lying around:

15221235655_aa512fcb87_c.jpgDSC00563 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

It's a 3 gallon cadlights zen series tank. I even know where it would go:

15221234475_454cccde9b_c.jpgDSC00565 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Two issues. #1 is budget. This couldn't be on the same level as my pico. No mp10s or nanoboxes, unfortunately. #2 is the light. I would need something low profile (and also cheap, see #1) so as to not look ridiculous in front of the picture. No giant goosenecks or lamps which means no kessil, par30/38, etc, etc.

I was thinking about what I have and what I would need. I have two little palm hob filters that I could use for floss, charcoal, and flow. If I need more flow I'm pretty sure I have a tiny little rio90 somewhere. If not those are super cheap. I have several options for rock. I could use the piece I was originally going to use for my pico, but that would mean waiting for the frag tank to come down. I could epoxy together that marco rock into a fun little scape. Or I could try some KPA live rock that everyone seems to love. No heater/controller/ato/skimmer/etc. Strictly low tech tank. The light will definitely be the biggest investment. As much as I would love another nanobox, I'm thinking more in the price range of a buildmyled or reefbreeders nano. I like that the reefbreeders fixture is adjustable, but the mounting could be an issue. I could go even cheaper and get the finnex marine+ fixture. I think it would be okay for lps and softies plus it's only like $55 for the 12" fixture.

When I told my husband what I was thinking tonight he said, "but you don't even have one tank set up yet, and now you want two?" :rolleyes: Besides my TANK is technically set up. There's just nothing in it. <_<

Another pico! omgomgomg

I'm not great with lighting so I'll let others chime in on that.

I think the palm filter is a good idea and maybe would fit with one of these (to surface skim and hide the bottom of the filter):

http://www.picoaquariums.com/fluval-aquaclear-skimmer-boxes/120-fluval-aquaclear-skimmer-boxes.html

If you do end up using a pump for extra flow, might want to paint the back glass black so the equipment blends in because in a tank that small even the smallest pumps become such an eyesore.

I think the marco rock would be good because you really want to be able to craft the scape in such a small tank and this will give you more control. Also would mitigate algae problems.

Just my 2 cents :)

I hope you do it! That tank looks so cute on that cute green cabinet. Love it! Just go low budget and keep your lower light, lower flow pieces there. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it!

Another pico! omgomgomg

I'm not great with lighting so I'll let others chime in on that.

I think the palm filter is a good idea and maybe would fit with one of these (to surface skim and hide the bottom of the filter):

http://www.picoaquariums.com/fluval-aquaclear-skimmer-boxes/120-fluval-aquaclear-skimmer-boxes.html

If you do end up using a pump for extra flow, might want to paint the back glass black so the equipment blends in because in a tank that small even the smallest pumps become such an eyesore.

I think the marco rock would be good because you really want to be able to craft the scape in such a small tank and this will give you more control. Also would mitigate algae problems.

Just my 2 cents :)

I'll have to see if the ac20 skimmers would fit. I don't think so, though. I'm thinking the intake tube on the ac20 is bigger than the palm ones.

Definitely going to paint the back. I'm actually painting the bottom right now, back will be tomorrow. Almost 100% sure I'll be using the marco rock too. I made a scape with some of it today. I'll post pictures in the new thread tonight.

I hope you do it! That tank looks so cute on that cute green cabinet. Love it! Just go low budget and keep your lower light, lower flow pieces there. Can't wait to see what you decide to do with it!

Pretty sure I'm going forward with it! That means I have to get my butt in gear and finish that cabinet. Still needs glaze and polycrylic.

Let there be CORAL!

They aren't in place or anything, but there finally some corals in the tank. I put my snail and some palys in a couple days ago and all went well, so today I threw in a few of my acans, a mushroom and a frag of cyphastrea. They looked happy all afternoon, wouldn't even have known they switched tanks. They look grumpy in the pictures because my light had been off for awhile, i just turned it back on to take pics. I have my storm controller set to run on the lat/long setting, but I need to change it so I can get pictures in the evenings. My windows make it way to bright during the day. Reflections everywhere.

Corals look great under the nanobox. Really wish I could get one for my other tank too. Maybe for Christmas or my birthday next year. :happy:

15239522661_df55f0c554_c.jpgDSC00581 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15239524101_906a10df67_c.jpgDSC00577 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15239525131_01cb8dc131_c.jpgDSC00590 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Hopefully start gluing pieces in place later this week, but I need to get some epoxy first. I used almost all of what I had making the scape for the 3g.

Builder Anthony

I'm not really a fan of glued rock but a lot of people do it.I don't know why I guess I switch my tank around a lot which is a bad thing but that's a very nice layout for a tank.Good for flow and bringing things up to the light.Nice job.

199.95 ECO from me. You can upgrade later to work with your Storm. :)

Ugh, don't tempt me. I want it sooo much. The problem is that if I get one from you I want it ALL. I even had to talk myself out of the bluefish with this one. We'll see though. I have to see what all I can scrounge up to sell...

where is your dry rock?

You mean the two pieces I added the other day? I took them out. I didn't like how it looked. That's why I decided to start the other tank, so I would have room for the stuff that wouldn't fit in here without the additional rock.

I WANT that green cabinet!!!!! :)

Dave is soooo bad LOL. But he could definitely hook you up with another fantastic light :). I sold off part of a vintage toy doll collection (on ebay) to buy my light LOL.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one :).

I WANT that green cabinet!!!!! :)

Dave is soooo bad LOL. But he could definitely hook you up with another fantastic light :). I sold off part of a vintage toy doll collection (on ebay) to buy my light LOL.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one :).

I found that thing on the curb! The lady thought I was crazy when I took it. I removed the back because it had water damage and the broken glass, then cleaned it and painted it. I love it. I think I'm going to do chicken wire in place of the glass. :lol:

Dave's little pitch was enough to push me over the edge. I'm getting a white ECO. :wub: I have some stuff to sell too, but nothing like your doll collection. Just some fish stuff I won't be using like the Tunze ATO (didn't return it in time).

I found that thing on the curb! The lady thought I was crazy when I took it. I removed the back because it had water damage and the broken glass, then cleaned it and painted it. I love it. I think I'm going to do chicken wire in place of the glass. :lol:

Dave's little pitch was enough to push me over the edge. I'm getting a white ECO. :wub: I have some stuff to sell too, but nothing like your doll collection. Just some fish stuff I won't be using like the Tunze ATO (didn't return it in time).

Super nice find! I love finding other people's "trash" and making it a treasure :). Chicken wire will be perfect! Soooo awesome you decided to go with Dave's ECO!!!!! I'd been wanting to downsize my collection...old dolls that are just going to deteriorate before too long. Might as well get rid of them while they still have their value. And it covered the cost of my light :).

Trying to decide which acans to keep in here versus the 3 gallon. My pink one was my least favorite in the frag tank, but I added it to this tank today and it looks sooo much better under the nanobox. Here is my collection under the blues tonight.

15096532849_7d8af99f6b_c.jpgDSC00611 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I think I'm going to use the pink and the second from the right.

Going to start gluing some zoas in this weekend. Can't wait to see them in here. :wub:

what?! no way. i prefer pink acans over rainbows.

Yep. I got that colony for... I think it was $75? That's pretty much the size it was when I bought it too. Most of the growth has just been the heads that were cut in half when it was fragged have regrown.

Yep. I got that colony for... I think it was $75? That's pretty much the size it was when I bought it too. Most of the growth has just been the heads that were cut in half when it was fragged have regrown.

Please just keep this between you and me cause i wouldn't want the word to get out that I think those pink Acans are just beautiful. If it got out, it would ruin my big , tough, bad boy image. Better put your boots on cause it's getting deep in here. LOL

Anyway, where did you get those if i may ask? They look well cared for and i'm just now starting to look for an online vendor who takes good care of and ships quality frags and colonies. To this point, i've just bought from my local LFSs.

Please just keep this between you and me cause i wouldn't want the word to get out that I think those pink Acans are just beautiful. If it got out, it would ruin my big , tough, bad boy image. Better put your boots on cause it's getting deep in here. LOL

Anyway, where did you get those if i may ask? They look well cared for and i'm just now starting to look for an online vendor who takes good care of and ships quality frags and colonies. To this point, i've just bought from my local LFSs.

Haha. Don't worry, your secret is safe.

I got the pink ones from reefgardener.net. I think the other four were all from aquasd. Reef Gardener has nice stuff and large frags. Legendary Corals is great, I bought most of my zoas from them. PM me if you want any more info.

I hope I don't hijack your thread by asking...

How do you arrange/accept coral shipments?

I'm at work during the week, during the day, when UPS or FedEx would typically deliver. The only time I would be home to accept packages would be a Saturday... And I'm pretty sure both carriers charge extra for Saturday delivery, would the vendor pass that extra cost on to me?.

Even if I get it shipped to my work, what am I supposed to do with a coral at my desk all day? And then on the 40 minute train ride home? Plus... I know I don't trust our UPS delivery guy handle ANYTHING with care... <_<

I hope I don't hijack your thread by asking...

How do you arrange/accept coral shipments?

I'm at work during the week, during the day, when UPS or FedEx would typically deliver. The only time I would be home to accept packages would be a Saturday... And I'm pretty sure both carriers charge extra for Saturday delivery, would the vendor pass that extra cost on to me?.

Even if I get it shipped to my work, what am I supposed to do with a coral at my desk all day? And then on the 40 minute train ride home? Plus... I know I don't trust our UPS delivery guy handle ANYTHING with care... <_<

I always have packages held for pickup at a local fedex/ups. That would probably be your best bet too. If you can find one that is open beyond your work hours, ask the vender to have it shipped there for pickup and you can go before or after work to get the package. Saturday delivery is usually available as well, but yes, the vendor will charge you for it. I think it's usually around $20.

Check out uniquecorals.com. They only charge $19 for shipping and an extra $15 for Saturday delivery. That is the same or less then most places charge for regular shipping. I haven't purchased from them yet, but plan too. They've been getting good reviews on the board.

I always have packages held for pickup at a local fedex/ups. That would probably be your best bet too. If you can find one that is open beyond your work hours, ask the vender to have it shipped there for pickup and you can go before or after work to get the package. Saturday delivery is usually available as well, but yes, the vendor will charge you for it. I think it's usually around $20.

Check out uniquecorals.com. They only charge $19 for shipping and an extra $15 for Saturday delivery. That is the same or less then most places charge for regular shipping. I haven't purchased from them yet, but plan too. They've been getting good reviews on the board.

I suppose I could speak with my boss and arrange to leave work early to pick something up if needed. That's usually what I do when I have a dr.s appointment and then just take short lunches to make up time.

Thanks!

Archived