SaltCritters.com

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
reefernanoman
Anything new? :D

Unfortunately, yes. After a water change the heater didn't get turned back on and I didn't notice for a week. Being by huge single pane windows in December this was not good. One sps is completely dead, another is losing tissue. There's also the one that bleached after adding it to the tank, but I think it will eventually recover. Still has pe and I don't see any recession. Everything else seems okay.

reefernanoman

Unfortunately, yes. After a water change the heater didn't get turned back on and I didn't notice for a week. Being by huge single pane windows in December this was not good. One sps is completely dead, another is losing tissue. There's also the one that bleached after adding it to the tank, but I think it will eventually recover. Still has pe and I don't see any recession. Everything else seems okay.

Your apex jr doesn't control your heater?

Your apex jr doesn't control your heater?

Yes, but I turn it off during water changes because it becomes exposed to air. I usually just do feed mode, but I was doing some extra maintenance so I turned everything off with the sliders in the apex ipad app. I need to set up feed mode b to last longer so it doesn't happen again.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband got me extension tubes and a tripod for Christmas so I've been playing around with macro shots. Here are a few I took tonight as well as a few from my husband's tank.

5G:

15957831437_4d4af820e3_c.jpgDSC01025 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

16143586785_da8671982f_c.jpgDSC01023 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

16141674511_a7656b3185_c.jpgDSC01031 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15957825477_eb6da35248_c.jpgDSC01024 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Husband's 12G:

16143581655_2c5637fdff_c.jpgDSC01018 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15957811907_f4b8db3467_c.jpgDSC01016 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

16117782636_91ef4b58b2_c.jpgDSC01010 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

15956268790_591da174f7_c.jpgDSC01021 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I posted some in my pico thread too.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a bit of change in here. After losing those couple sps I decided to do a bit of rearranging. Some colors look better in this tank and some look better in my other tank, so I switched some corals around and also fragged a couple things from my husband's tank. Didn't really get a presentable FTS because of the glare, but I have a quick video and a couple macros.

I thought the cyphastrea looked pretty cool. It looks like the polyps are growing right out of the glass.

16266172335_c404069ff9_c.jpgDSC01045 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Possibly my favorite new coral in the tank, a rainbow stylo. I'll have to get a top-down shot of it to show the colors one of these days.

16265350382_3758876c47_c.jpgDSC01051 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And a video where absolutely nothing happens.

• 2 weeks later...

In non-photo news, things are finally going well in here. The new corals acted like they were never even moved. I've been dosing just over 1ml per day of the esv b-ionic and doing large, weekly 4 gallon water changes. This combination as well as feeding the coral several times a week seems to be working well. In the last couple weeks after settling into this routine things seem much happier. The meteor shower cyphastrea has been spreading across the glass very quickly and nice polyp extension in the sps. Coralline has taken off. Now to finally get some growth out of the zoas...

awesome!! what settings are you running your nanobox?

Thanks! I have it on 180/60. I've been keeping it super blue to compete with the light coming in the windows otherwise it looks like a freshwater tank. Corals seem to like it.

Thanks! I have it on 180/60. I've been keeping it super blue to compete with the light coming in the windows otherwise it looks like a freshwater tank. Corals seem to like it.

i wish i can keep mine that high!

• 1 month later...

Apparentley the only things I can grow are coralline and cyphastrea. Everything else in my poor tank is pale, pale, pale with little to no growth. Literally not a single new zoa in, well, the history of this tank. Meanwhile my husband's dirty, overfed, multi-fish, sandbed-having nanocube looks like it's stocked with skittles. His rastas have gone from 3 polyps to probably 12 or 15 in just a few months.

My conclusion is that the tank is too clean. The last couple weeks I've been trying to feed what I would consider a lot for such a small tank, but it doesn't seem to make much difference. I think the 4 gallon water changes, skimmer, and bare bottom are just too much all together. Sure, there isn't a spec of gha to be seen, but what's the point if the corals aren't growing or healthy. I don't even have gfo, just carbon. I really like the idea of the large water changes combined with the dosing to sort of "reset" things every week, but since I can't add sand and the skimmer doesn't really have anything to skim anyway...

I suppose another option would be to increase the bioload. I don't have a qt set up though, so I'd have to grab some liverock and a cheap 5g. I considered a baby black and white misbar clown or a tsb, but not sure about the size. I could add maybe two smaller gobies. A clown goby and a cleaner or sharknose perhaps? They would fit better with the scale of the rock.

Whats the white goby with black stripes? I like him! Also, where did you get your rastas I NEED some for my tank! :)

I would try running it a little dirtier and see what happens. On a tank that size its easy enough to get it clean again.

Looks awesome though! :)

He/she is an ORA tiger goby. Super chubby little thing that eats everything from pods to pellets. I got mine from saltwaterfish.com, but Elmer's has them pretty regularly.

The rastas came from Legendary Corals. I don't know if it's the tank conditions or the particular strain from them, but they grow like crazy.

He/she is an ORA tiger goby. Super chubby little thing that eats everything from pods to pellets. I got mine from saltwaterfish.com, but Elmer's has them pretty regularly.

The rastas came from Legendary Corals. I don't know if it's the tank conditions or the particular strain from them, but they grow like crazy.

Well if you every want to part with a head or 2 let me know! Im not ordering any corals online until it warms up! I might have to get one from Elmers. Hes cool! I love those little gobies. Used to have a green banded a few tanks ago.

One little update and one BIG update.

The little update: It's only been a few days, but dirtying up the tank seems to be working. I've been feeding a ton and actually started dosing selcon for the vitamin c. Zoas really seem to be responding. The orange rainbows are all open and bigger than they've been in ages.

The big update: This tank's days are numbered! My husband and I have decided to consolidate our tanks and run one larger one. We've both always liked shallow tanks and used to have either a 60 or 80 gallon shallow one (I forget the exact size) that we loved. I don't want to go that big in our condo so we are getting the DBP 24x24x12 shallow cube. He was going back and forth between that and a regular 40b, but I called the LFS today and ordered the DBP one. I'm also trying to see if we can get an AIO kit made for it.

With this tank I'll be returning to my roots (pun intended) and turning it into a planted tank. I've missed having one. Not sure if I'll go higher light and co2 or low light for the ease of maitenance.

No more corals?!

Not in this tank. Everything will be in the DBP, which I'll start a journal for once we decide on some specifics like which controller, powerheads, etc we plan on using. Right now we have two or three or more of everything from the multiple tanks.

Auto Midnight

Just read your thread, kinda bummed your tearing it down. I was hoping to see how you experiments with high bio load in the bare bottom went. Oh well, good luck with the new build.

• 1 month later...

So this tank's run has come to an end. Everything will be transfered into the new tank tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the heavier feedings and smaller water changes over the last 6 weeks of it's life did not have the intended outcome. Instead of the corals improving, algae just started growing instead. Nothing terrible, just some patches of gha on the bottom and return. The corals remained pale and lacked growth. The acans were definitely the standouts in here, doubling and tripling in size since adding them and keeping good color. They were also direct fed with mysis. The meteor shower grew very well on the bottom, but was always white and orange instead of blue and orange.

Disappointing results overall, but still a learning experience.

I'd been considering over the last few weeks to either restart it as an acan garden or softie tank, but not sure I want to deal with another pico at the moment. Still contemplating a planted tank since a low light one is so easy to care for. Just debating on whether I want to take the plunge (haha) back into that world. My biggest issue with going that route is that I really love shrimp, but they are pretty much a no-go in an AIO because of the overflow.

#firstworldproblems

Here is the link to the new tank that my husband I are sharing: 30G

Archived