Top Shelf Aquatics

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

I'm very sorry to hear about your Rocky. It's amazing how much love we have for our pets. My wife and I wish you and your Rocky the very best..AVIATOR300. Forrest

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez, when it rains, it pours. My one boston Rocky, he's the one in the picture on page one, had a bump removed last week. Got the results today and it turned out to be a mast cell tumor. Doctor thinks he got clean margins, but he's getting a second opinion. Said we should hear from him in a day or two, then next step is off to the oncologist to determine if any secondary treatment is needed for the tumor and also to have tests done to see if it spread. Not sure what all that entails. He mentioned lymph nodes and radiographs of his chest and abdomen. Not sure what any of us did to piss off the universe so badly.

I don't think I could plan anything out 4 or 5 years in advance. I don't think I could wait 4 or 5 months.

I'm pretty much the same. But the next phase is when we move. For now my current 2 tanks will have to do :).

So sorry to read about Rocky :(. Good thoughts for Rocky.

Thanks everyone. Currently waiting on a test that looks for a specific gene in the tumor which will tell us if it a more or less aggressive type. I guess if it comes back negative (less aggressive) the oncologist has suggested to just wait and monitor him. If it's positive they will do the diagnostic testing. I guess at this point that's good news, it means both the oncologist and the vet are pretty convinced that all the mast cells were removed in surgery.

As far as the tank goes, not much new to share. Rock is cycling. I've already had nitrates showing up for awhile though, which is pretty cool. The day I got the vida rock I used a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only and it certainly seems to have sped things up. Doesn't do me much good though since everything is being treated in the frag tank <_< Maybe I'll move my fish in next week if it's ready.

I was bored and took a couple pics this afternoon. Acans were looking particularly fluffy so here's a shot of my little acan (and micro) collection. 10K doesn't do them justice, can't wait to have them under the nanobox.

acans.jpg

And one of Tonks, just because she doesn't get much screen time:

tonks2-1.jpg

Hmm, photobucket seems to suck the color right out of the pictures. Should I get a flickr account? Seems like that's what all the cool kids are doing these days.

Flickr for sure! Just ordered the same stand you are using. Does it come with any hole in the back or do I need to supply my own? Also, is the shelf adjustable?

I too am waiting on the pico skimmer. I'm going to be running a reactor and doing biopellets with a TLF-150, but not without the skimmer of course. Looking to hopefully mod the stand up a bit too. Following along. How soon until you are wet?

Gorgeous collection of acans!

Thanks gena!

Flickr for sure! Just ordered the same stand you are using. Does it come with any hole in the back or do I need to supply my own? Also, is the shelf adjustable?

I too am waiting on the pico skimmer. I'm going to be running a reactor and doing biopellets with a TLF-150, but not without the skimmer of course. Looking to hopefully mod the stand up a bit too. Following along. How soon until you are wet?

No holes in the back. I used a forstner bit, I think 40mm. The stand is definitely a bit... rough. I hope you aren't afraid of some sanding! And yes, the shelf is adjustable, but there are only two positions. There are two sets of wooden blocks and you pick the level you want, no pegs and holes like most furniture.

It's actually already wet, but all that's in there is the vidarock. I'm currently cycling it with ammonia. Been running the light on normal schedule and no algae, pods, diatoms, or anything yet so it will be awhile before any coral goes in. I'll probably move my fish in once the nitrite is gone.

Testing out flickr...

14964794895_78e0f8da3f_c.jpgrastas by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14961684481_3a7fdddfd0_c.jpgrainbowtest by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Colors do look much better. Look at all those little baby heads. :wub: It was only one when I bought it. The rastas too, already three babies from them.

Looking forward to seeing this tank progress, is that the stand PicO is selling?

No, it's the Mr. Aqua stand. I haven't looked recently, but I though he was only selling stands for the 20G system. The Mr. Aqua stand is just raw wood. The ones on the PicO site are finished, I think available in either black or white to match the tanks.

Thanks for the sanding tip, RM. This tank doesn't really NEED a stand, but with all the goodies I'm putting into it, I would really like to showcase it (much like you are doing).

Best luck to Rocky

Tested the water today to see how the cycle is coming along. Nitrite is pretty much off the (API) charts. Nitrate is anywhere from 4-10ppm. Red Sea only goes up to 4 I think, and the 5 and 10 look the same to me on API. Either way that should mean the nitrite should start dropping soon.

My husband showed me a pretty cool picture today. One of his former coworkers went to the Philippines to visit family and went diving while he was there. Asked him if I could share his picture, and he said yeah as long as I blurred his face (hence the having a black hole where his head should be thing). Check out this torch:

image001.png

Thanks for the sanding tip, RM. This tank doesn't really NEED a stand, but with all the goodies I'm putting into it, I would really like to showcase it (much like you are doing).

Best luck to Rocky

Yeah, I considered just putting it on a dresser or something, but I wanted it somewhere where it would be seen. Good luck with the stand, I'll have to check out what you do with yours.

And thanks. Still waiting on lab results, fingers crossed.

Soooo jealous. I wish this was around before I bought my Spec. Following :)

Thanks! I was actually eyeing all the specs and considered it myself. An AIO in this size range that is glass without curved corners is hard to come by.

My husband showed me a pretty cool picture today. One of his former coworkers went to the Philippines to visit family and went diving while he was there. Asked him if I could share his picture, and he said yeah as long as I blurred his face (hence the having a black hole where his head should be thing). Check out this torch:

image001.png

Holy moley!!!! WOW!

How bout some "wet" FTS pics so us Pico 5 owners in waiting can salivate some more HaHa.

On the serious side, where did you find the Archaea heater and how is it doing so far? I've never seen one before until I read it in your post. I've tried to research it but I guess it's new to reef tanks and I can find no reviews.

How bout some "wet" FTS pics so us Pico 5 owners in waiting can salivate some more HaHa.

On the serious side, where did you find the Archaea heater and how is it doing so far? I've never seen one before until I read it in your post. I've tried to research it but I guess it's new to reef tanks and I can find no reviews.

Haha, I'll have to do it this evening. My giant windows make it impossible during the day, all reflections and glare everywhere.

I bought the heater several years ago from Nature Aquarium, here's the link. The thing is seriously tiny and has the thermostat near the plug instead of on the heater. Only complaint is the cord is kind of short. Let me grab a pic to show how small the thing really is.

DSC00389.jpg

WOW. Now thats what i call small. Have you used it and does it work well? They still sell them at that link..

And by the way, this is why i need a smaller heater?? LOL

post-82910-0-95851300-1408572649_thumb.jpg

Geez, that's quite a heater. LOL! I have used this little thing on everything from a 3 gallon betta tank to a 12 gallon nanocube. Never had any problems with it. Just for full disclosure's sake our house was never very cold, so I don't know how it would do in lower temperatures. If you were going to get one I would probably suggest the 50 watt. The description doesn't say, but my guess is it isn't much bigger, if at all.

Oh, and tank pics will be incoming later tonight. just starting to get dark here. We also picked up an RW-4 so I'm going to get a video of it in the tank for anyone interested.

Geez, that's quite a heater. LOL! I have used this little thing on everything from a 3 gallon betta tank to a 12 gallon nanocube. Never had any problems with it. Just for full disclosure's sake our house was never very cold, so I don't know how it would do in lower temperatures. If you were going to get one I would probably suggest the 50 watt. The description doesn't say, but my guess is it isn't much bigger, if at all.

Oh, and tank pics will be incoming later tonight. just starting to get dark here. We also picked up an RW-4 so I'm going to get a video of it in the tank for anyone interested.

Interested for sure and I live in Scottsdale AZ so wont have many issues with cold weather..50w is same size as 25w so i"ll be ordering the 50w. Thanks for the info.

Pics and video as promised. I also posted the RW-4 video and photo in it's own thread under product reviews for anyone that wants to read more about it, but honestly I didn't post much. At this point I'm still planning on using the MP10 in this tank, I just thought this could be useful for anyone getting this tank and considering what powerhead to purchase.

Video link: https://flic.kr/p/oNeczw

RW-4 size reference:

14799348918_73b2b7b350_c.jpgDSC00404 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And some tank pics, including the back chambers and the lid (I like how the edges glow):

14799448587_c3a886dfe3_c.jpgDSC00396 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14799447367_83762d0cb3_c.jpgDSC00397 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14985631662_6f7e422897_c.jpgDSC00395 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14982882401_cba7edda25_c.jpgDSC00390 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14985984825_2e025a39f7_c.jpgDSC00417 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

14985571332_8282855e4a_c.jpgDSC00414 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

And for anyone wondering, I have the water level set to the lowest setting. It does go quite a bit higher.

Archived