ReefCleaners.org

rocksmom's Nano Box Powered PicO 5G - upgrade! #220

rocksmom

I took out three of my zoas this weekend. The gelidium grew back after the peroxide treatment. I already treated twice and it was visibly gone for a week or two, but it still regrew. Hopefully it doesn't show up anywhere else. I still don't know where it originally came from. I'm guessing one of the vendors had it, but it was eaten down to where it wasn't showing so I didn't know we had it until it was too late. Boo.

Not sure what combination of zoas/sps to replace them with. I'm been going back and forth between sites trying to make up my mind on what to get.

ETA: Oh yeah, reading Mr. Microscope's thread reminded me about the whole dosing thing.

After the first couple days the dosage needed really dropped and things started to level out. I've since been dosing 1ml of each per day, which keeps the levels right around 9 dKH and 450ppm calcium. That's almost exactly where the ESV mixes up using the gallon marks on my mixing bucket. I haven't tested now for a couple days because the weekend was busy, but I'll check both again tomorrow afternoon and see if the numbers are still holding steady.

How is the tank with the ECO?

-Dave

It's doing well. I just updated the thread for it with a fts and a couple comments about the light: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/351246-3-gallon-almost-budget-pico-corals-added/?p=4864354

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fed the tank some reef chili tonight and my pom pom came out so I grabbed a quick video of the tank. Got a decent still shot as well.

15042009754_c582e0c1e2_c.jpgDSC00770 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

You can see the empty spots where I had to take out my zoas. Still debating what to get...

I ordered some frags yesterday from Gonzo's Corals and they got here today. I ended up getting two acros and two palys for this tank, as well as two acans for my 3g. My pictures came out terrible, I really need to practice getting the macro shots. I have trouble being able to tell on the little screen if they are in focus or not. As you will see they are not.

A teal one he's calling Monster's Inc:

15678774545_3e9fe4fd45_c.jpgDSC00777 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

Pink acro:

15058831204_240565b283_c.jpgpinkacro by rocksmom9, on Flickr

The tyree orange rainbows I already had next to one of the new palys (this picture doesn't do them justice, they are a green, pink, and purple rainbow with a striped skirt):

https://flic.kr/p/pRoeWm'>15655053316_d43842e7a4_c.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pRoeWm'>DSC00780 by https://www.flickr.com/people/126988861@N05/'>rocksmom9, on Flickr

The other ones, called Ironmans:

15680364512_5ab9791bb5_c.jpgDSC00778 by rocksmom9, on Flickr

I'll try to get a new fts in the next couple days. I wasn't home tonight because of Halloween and there's just too much glare during the day from the giant windows in here. I'll see if I can get some better individual pics too.

Oh man, I can't wait to see this tank grow out!

P.S. How do you like the VidaRocks?

Thanks, me too. It looks so "new" right now.

I like the vidarock a lot. So far the tank has been pretty clean, so I know it's not leaching a bunch of stuff like some dry rock does. The only con I can really think of that I've run into thus far is that the purple is REALLY purple. I wish they would just leave it white and let it get color naturally.

love the pink / red monti on the left hand side

I guess it's actually stylocoeniella? I wouldn't have known except the vendor I bought it from actually grows it and that's what he called it. Not sure how you really tell the difference.

I like the vidarock a lot. So far the tank has been pretty clean, so I know it's not leaching a bunch of stuff like some dry rock does. The only con I can really think of that I've run into thus far is that the purple is REALLY purple. I wish they would just leave it white and let it get color naturally.

Sweet. I'm in the planning stage of a 90P rimless, and I've been playing with a scape that involves the artisan knife pieces.

:o Keep me updated on whether weird stuff ends up growing on the vidarock.

If any of the Pittsburgh nano-reefers are reading this I got to go the Steelers/Ravens game last night. My first nfl game and a butt kicking to boot. They did Joe Greene's jersey retirement at halftime too. Pretty cool experience, happy they won. :happydance:

Sweet. I'm in the planning stage of a 90P rimless, and I've been playing with a scape that involves the artisan knife pieces.

An actual 90P from ada? Ballin'!

The only thing growing on it right now is what looks like some diatoms, but not bad at all. Not sure if the vidarock leaches some silicates or I've also read it can be from increasing the bioload too quickly. The original bloom came and went, but this is just kind of lingering in some of the higher light areas.

I have vidarocks in both my tanks. Both went through a phase of uglies with lots of algae. Still fighting a bit of algae now. I dont know if it's due to the rocks or not, but just letting you know my experience. But I love them still and will continue to use them in the future.

The purple will get covered by coraline soon =). Or in my case, covered by algae...haha.

Was a great game! I got to watch it in the warmth of my living room! Great first game to go to! :)

If any of the Pittsburgh nano-reefers are reading this I got to go the Steelers/Ravens game last night. My first nfl game and a butt kicking to boot. They did Joe Greene's jersey retirement at halftime too. Pretty cool experience, happy they won. :happydance:

The purple will get covered by coraline soon =). Or in my case, covered by algae...haha.

Haha. Hopefully soon. It's starting to grow on the mp10 and the false wall.

Love this! Can you send me the high res images?

-Dave

Thanks Dave! Which ones did you want, all four that I just posted? Do you want them sent to same email as your paypal?

Was a great game! I got to watch it in the warmth of my living room! Great first game to go to! :)

A couple times when the wind picked up all I could think was how nice it would be sitting on my couch with my dog on my lap. lol. It was fun though. I want to go earlier in the season next year when it's warmer. Although knowing Pittsburgh it will probably rain.

Looking great @rocksmom!

Thanks!

Can't quite pin down this whole dosing thing. The amount of KH and Ca consumption seems to fluctuate quite a bit from day to day. The KH was starting to creep up so I cut back on the amount again. I went from doing 1ml to 2 ml back to 1 and now around .75ml. Maybe it's just because the tank is newer so things aren't very stable yet. I don't know. I'm considering going from one 50% WC per week to two 50% or one 100% (or close to it anyway) and see if I can discontinue dosing. I know people have success with 100% changes in picos, it just seems like there would be large parameter swings from day 1 to day 7 and then especially from day 7 water to after the WC.

Seems like it would be more difficult to dose and stabilize a pico in general. I hope you get it worked out soon :).

The tank is looking fabulous! Those hot pink acans are still my very favorite thing :wub:.

Seems like it would be more difficult to dose and stabilize a pico in general. I hope you get it worked out soon :).

The tank is looking fabulous! Those hot pink acans are still my very favorite thing :wub:.

Thanks gena.

Sometimes I wonder if it's from having such a small amount of rock, but it seems like that's been the trend with tanks for awhile now. I considered adding some to one of the rear chambers, but I know that's generally a "no-no" since it accumulates detritus.

itsyahboydanny

Thanks gena.

Sometimes I wonder if it's from having such a small amount of rock, but it seems like that's been the trend with tanks for awhile now. I considered adding some to one of the rear chambers, but I know that's generally a "no-no" since it accumulates detritus.

Hey again! I was wondering what you were running your day pmw lights at? Some of my zoas aren't coming out, Im running my tide at ch1:120 ch2: 60. What's your's set at?

Hey again! I was wondering what you were running your day pmw lights at? Some of my zoas aren't coming out, Im running my tide at ch1:120 ch2: 60. What's your's set at?

Mine's set pretty high because of my SPS, but I gradually bumped it up. Right now I have ch1 at 185 and ch2 at 140. Yours should be plenty of light for zoas. Here's the thread where people share their settings: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341181-nano-box-settings-share-your-settings-for-your-storm-controller/

If they aren't opening up I would guess it's something else that's irritating them. Something in your parameters, copepods, nudibranchs, etc. It can take them awhile to open up after moving them as well. How long have they been in your tank?

itsyahboydanny
Mine's set pretty high because of my SPS, but I gradually bumped it up. Right now I have ch1 at 185 and ch2 at 140. Yours should be plenty of light for zoas. Here's the thread where people share their settings: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341181-nano-box-settings-share-your-settings-for-your-storm-controller/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/341181-nano-box-settings-share-your-settings-for-your-storm-controller/

If they aren't opening up I would guess it's something else that's irritating them. Something in your parameters, copepods, nudibranchs, etc. It can take them awhile to open up after moving them as well. How long have they been in your tank?

Well I know all my parameters are fine and I dip them and used dry rock so I'm thinking they are just shocked from the move, I've only had them a week or less

Well I know all my parameters are fine and I dip them and used dry rock so I'm thinking they are just shocked from the move, I've only had them a week or less

That's probably all it is then, zoas can be really temperamental. Mine were always closing up when they were in my frag tank and when I first put them in here. Took awhile for them to all settle in and stay open consistently. In my case dosing helped because KH was low. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for nudibranchs though. Their eggs will survive dips.

itsyahboydanny

That's probably all it is then, zoas can be really temperamental. Mine were always closing up when they were in my frag tank and when I first put them in here. Took awhile for them to all settle in and stay open consistently. In my case dosing helped because KH was low. Wouldn't hurt to keep an eye out for nudibranchs though. Their eggs will survive dips.

awesome, thanks for the help!

Archived