inTank Media Baskets

RLL Wireless 36" Ver-Tech almost there

farkwar

?..That you could buy new Radion G3 pucks for $75, and didnt tell me?

I feel like such a rube mark. I bought the lumia 5.1 for like 110 bucks.

What do you call a piece of candy with a stick in it?

Suuckkaaa!!!!

SerenityReef
How much is a Radion G3 brand new? $650? So you can basically DIY one for half the price?

Not exactly. You need a Radion to begin with so you would need to add that cost in. From what I understand the fan, buttons, and casing have all been upgraded for G3. But I f you already have a Radion you can have the G3 pucks for $150.

Not exactly. You need a Radion to begin with so you would need to add that cost in. From what I understand the fan, buttons, and casing have all been upgraded for G3. But I f you already have a Radion you can have the G3 pucks for $150.

thankfully you can get your own heatsinks fans and drivers for the pucks instead. Then it's a lot cheaper. :)

So how on earth are those people at RC getting their hands on the new G3 pucks? None of them seemed to have mentioned that they already had Radions because if they did why would they DIY?

I dont have a Radion to begin with. Thats my point of this thread. I was under the belief that in order to upgrade one needed proof of purchase.

The RC DIY thread is all about using used G2 pucks, when G3 pucks are improved, and new.

Ok, im putting 6 of these over 36 inches.

Pucks are 450,

RLL wireless Android controller and drivers 160 with shipping. These are all 0.5 inches tall, they fit in the light fixture, no external boxes save the IP65 PSU.

36" heatsink for 120 plus shipping.

Power supply $120 plus shipping.

100 for odds and ends, fans, acrylic, etc

$950 for a 3 foot VertexRadionIllumina. The Vertex would run me $1850 on sale. The Radions would be $1950 both of those without mounting hardware.

Check ecotechs part store.

You don't need a radion to buy these things.

QFT

So how on earth are those people at RC getting their hands on the new G3 pucks? None of them seemed to have mentioned that they already had Radions because if they did why would they DIY?

The posters in the thread are buying or using G2 used pucks. I didnt see anyone buying new pucks for their builds.

You can buy the plastic bottom enclosure even, if you wanted to. TIR Lenses are a ail able from every body at 30 a pair.

Radion is so overpriced its insane, there are so many other lighting options out there that are just as good and for half the price. I wouldn't keep one if I was given it, I would just sell it off. I don't get why people drop $700 on a lighting system and they say they only turn it up to 40-60% lighting intensity.......Why would you buy a light to not use its "full" potential, call me crazy but it makes no sense!

Radion is so overpriced its insane, there are so many other lighting options out there that are just as good and for half the price. I wouldn't keep one if I was given it, I would just sell it off. I don't get why people drop $700 on a lighting system and they say they only turn it up to 40-60% lighting intensity.......Why would you buy a light to not use its "full" potential, call me crazy but it makes no sense!

Well, the point of the thread is that their pucks are less expensive than commercial DIY pucks, except for Dave's at $60.

And that they are available to Radion non owners.

I intend to run them at much lower Amps than rated, less than probably Ecotechs runs them. That's a why I'm using 6 and not 4. They should run cooler and longer at 700mA. I haven't decided if I'm going to run them low and lens less or high and tight. I will see when I get there, I'll probably diffuse them for better coral growth.

For one thing, the Radion pucks have what, 20 LEDs vs the lumia with 25? That would put the Radion pucks at ~$94 as an equivalent.

Next, I suspect that the Radion pucks are being sold at close to cost. Its a customer service so people with the old gen don't feel put out by the rapid rate of release on these lights. The lumia's are being sold at a profit, or one would hope so.

Lumia 5.1 has 50 LEDs.

I need to find where the Russian gets those extruded aluminum side profiles from the other thread. The heatsink he sells are just regular extruded 5 inch wide sinks, its the side profiles thats special. Then again its not deep enough for the controller and driver without resorting to dremelling out divots in the base.

I would really like to get the CNCReef heatsink, its just a 36" heatsink will blow my budget on this light.

For one thing, the Radion pucks have what, 20 LEDs vs the lumia with 25? That would put the Radion pucks at ~$94 as an equivalent.

Next, I suspect that the Radion pucks are being sold at close to cost. Its a customer service so people with the old gen don't feel put out by the rapid rate of release on these lights. The lumia's are being sold at a profit, or one would hope so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Looking good so far.

I keep vacillating between the 36" ADA and the 30" Elos.

Both of which I need to save up for. That will predicate the heatsink and layout.

36" im going to run a long row, with a narrow fixture.

30" im going to run in pairs, with a wider fixture.

• 1 month later...

Heatsink is here. Long and skinny, just more practical if I need to get hands or tweezers in tank.

Fans here

Meanwell SCwhatever DC TO DC transformer is here

I chickened out of the Ukrainuan heatsink guy. I have three Ukranian co workers, all said dont do it.

So im just going to grind the heatsink out myself.

Anodizing equipment ordered. Going to do brush finish. Blue undercoat to black overcoat is intention. Any visible screws I wNted bkack, but will do Titanium instead. Bought a hot red dye and hot purple dye, in case anyone here wants anodized heatsinks.

I looked into Powdercoating, cheaper than anodizing, but I dont have a 36" wide oven. I dont think you can do shiney powder ciating either.

TIRs ordered. Diffusion screen ordered.

Mount undecided. 1) hang. 2) Radion RMS x2. 3) Kessil Gooseneck x2. I will see what the TIRs do before fixing in a to-tank-distance.

The German tech sleeve site us down for vacation, will just get TechFlex from Amazon I bet.

I havnt been able to hold onto the cash for the Elos until now, >I labored on Labor day <

Any other suggestions anyone have. Pointers?

When you say ADA you doing the 90P? Regular or overflow version?

overflow version is no longer available. Drilling voids warranty. Would need two Mame overflows.

Per George in SF. And per email from ADA Japan. Reef and sump still up on japan website.

ADA texas is doing something other than ADA these days.

Ill do the ADA90p if the Elos seller sells it before I buy it. Dont jinx me, I would need to buy the 36" heatsink and rebuild that for the ADA. The ADA system would be much more after build than Elos system, just because of whats included with it.

Archived