Pod Your Reef

Chad's Fluval Spec V Mixed Reef

Chad Walters

I think I'm going to pick up that skimmer as well. I have the in-tank media basket on my spec v too, which is great for the shelves.. but water still easy goes around it and it wouldn't fit the skimmer. Let me know if the biocube skimmer fits without issues when the media basket is removed. I have a pico2 nano skimmer on hold at the moment but it's much more than the biocube one..

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OCNcheffy it fits perfect with the basket removed. Snug, but fits. I wanted it turned a certain way so I dremeled off the suction cup "points" which worked great. Then I just shoved the filter media in beside it.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: So after a recent visit and speaking with the guys of Reef Systems in Columbus Ohio I have decided to bite the bullet and try bare bottom. So far loving the ease of cleaning. Parameters are staying in check better as well. Also moved my neotherm into the display on the false wall, temp remains constant never moving more than .3 degrees... was getting a temp or two swing throughout the day with it in the return compartment. Wondering why I didnt do this sooner...

Curious what all they recommended the bare bottom for? I've read that sand acts as a buffer which is a good thing.BTW If you aren't using your intank media basket I may be interested in picking it up off you (not planning to use a skimmer).

They basically said it doesnt buffer enough to make a difference and your stable params are more a result of water changes and salt mix. Also you can crank up flow to better keep detris suspended for removal and syphoning is easier as well. Ive noticed way less algae growth since and its only been a week. They had a holding tank with clams and showed me first hand that there tanks without sand are much nicer than with. Everything else is the same. Pretty neat setup they have.

As for the basket I can prob let one go.

I have updated the first post to my current setup. I have switched back to the current marine LED because the Fluval was way too white IMO. Here are some FTS goodies from this morning.

I've moved the heater to the display, I think it still looks sleek.

Skimmer is working well, as you can see.

post-85105-0-64430400-1421331232_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-92759500-1421331239_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-18676600-1421331258_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-03675100-1421331283_thumb.jpg

That's exactly where I ended up with my neotherm. I wasn't getting good temps with it in the pump chamber and it won't fit in the first chamber with the inTank basket.

Texag12: I think its perfect flow wise, and no its just like any other powerhead it just suction cups where ever you want it. I placed mine just under the return.

Word of warning if you get one, the magnets have been known to rust, take them out of the suction cups and just suction it without the magnet. Still stays put and no worrying about rust off the magnets.

Texag12: I think its perfect flow wise, and no its just like any other powerhead it just suction cups where ever you want it. I placed mine just under the return.

Thanks for the tips!

Word of warning if you get one, the magnets have been known to rust, take them out of the suction cups and just suction it without the magnet. Still stays put and no worrying about rust off the magnets.

Update for you guys. Found some new features for the camera on my phone. Attached are some of my corals and my GBTA. Tanks all cleaned up and corals are opening like never before thanks to the movement of the heater into the display and the skimmer finally worn in.

What do ya'll think?

post-85105-0-26961000-1421719103_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-53307200-1421719106_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-84715800-1421719109_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-91197500-1421719113_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-64501900-1421719117_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-40667600-1421719120_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-74690900-1421719123_thumb.jpg

Another update! - Neptune Aquatics Apex Jr. officially ordered! I'll post up some pictures of the setup process in the next few days.

Got the Apex Jr installed! This thing is sweet!

I ran out of outlets so I put my return pump and powerhead and skimmer onto a powerstrip and pluged it into the apex. Just named the outlet Circulation Pumps and I am ready to roll.

Plan on getting a fan and when I do I've got an open outlet for it already programmed for on off temp.

So far really liking the Apex, its so cool to turn things off and on and monitor the tank from the couch!

I also added a FTS with the Apex installed. Comments welcome as always. B)

post-85105-0-42471500-1422302429_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-37494600-1422302434_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-30543200-1422302438_thumb.jpg

post-85105-0-72931200-1422302441_thumb.jpg

I added another EB4 to my Apex Jr to do away with the cheapo power strip so now I can turn skimmer and return off separately if need be. Its working pretty well.

I also decided to pick up a Tunze 6040 with controller after a stop by a LFS. Nice little pump, but I am absolutely hating how it sets in the tank. Its so awkward built that I had to set it side ways to keep from blowing water out of the top of the tank. However corals look much happier with more flow and random flow as compared to the Koralia Nano 240.

I can't decide if I want to keep the Tunze or drop the cash and get an MP10 and sell the Tunze?

So the Tunze has been taken out of the tank and replaced with the Koralia 240 again. The Tunze along with some other equipment will be up for sale before too long, going to clean out my equipment bin.

looking good. digging the bare bottom look.

Thanks! I love it so much easier to clean and keep clean. Zero algae problems.

Might I ask respectfully: If you've got the deep pockets, why not get a bigger tank? :P

I like it so far, can't wait to see it when it's grown out a bit more. Maybe get some zoanthids or SPS eventually?

Might I ask respectfully: If you've got the deep pockets, why not get a bigger tank? :P

I like it so far, can't wait to see it when it's grown out a bit more. Maybe get some zoanthids or SPS eventually?

Lol that's the problem.. I don't... the tank does. HAHA. Just a funny little thing I thought I'd put as title :D

And I would love to do some SPS eventually!

• 2 weeks later...

So the time has come for one last update and to transfer livestock and equipment to a..... NEW TANK!

Just picked up the Petco ARC 6 gallon I have been looking for quite a while!

I will start a build thread for the new ARC. I love my spec but this new ARC tank was made for reefing!

Archived