SaltCritters.com

Domino damsel, nice fish or minion of hell?

phoenix91

I've read conflicting reports about these fish, I got a few the other day and they are in qt right now. Do they get so aggressive that they'll kill other fish or can they live in a reef tank?

My tank Is a 40b and I have 2 clowns and a blue damsel, all of which are pretty easy going.

My gut feeling is to return the fish and get something a little less aggressive, I'd really hate for my male clown to get hurt since he's so small; but they're so cute and active, it's been nice to have active fish since my clowns are typical clowns and the blue damsel thinks he's a clown.

That species gets huge, almost 6 inches as a big adult, one person on RC has a big one that has to be kept with huge tangs and sharks. It's that aggressive. I'd return them.

Mean ahole when they get bigger than the other fish.

They will kill your current livestock.

Striped damsels too.

Okay, thanks! I hadn't realized how aggressive they were but saw them get into a squabble over food this morning and they're like an inch long. I'd read that damsels were aggressive but my blue damsel is so sweet, so I was lured into a false sense of security about them. I'll return them next weekend, I'll just enjoy watching them for this next week and then rethink my fish options.

Archived