Innovative Marine Aquariums

Favia colony oozing white stuff-what?

Squared

About a week ago I noticed what looked like a single polyp in the middle of my favia colony bleached and begun to detach itself from the skeleton, and when I siphoned it, it came off very easily and revealed a missing polyp underneath. Now, that same spot has some of that same white stuff coming out of it, and I think it may be bothering the polyps around it:

coralooze_zps7e9934f5.jpg

I have no idea what this is, what is causing it, and if it is going to spread and kill off more polyps on this colony. Any insight as to what is causing this and if it is a disease would be appreciated...

liquid8540

I can't help you with your problem, but just wanted to say that your favia is beautiful. Where is it at in your tank? I have one and it is half way up in my tank buts its polyps do not extend like yours does

I can't help you with your problem, but just wanted to say that your favia is beautiful. Where is it at in your tank? I have one and it is half way up in my tank buts its polyps do not extend like yours does

haha thanks. I keep it under a PAR38 with 90 degree optics on the bottom outer edge of an NC12.

photo19_zps382ccee0.jpg

did you try blowing it off?

i scraped it off with a bent paper clip, it seems to come off quite easily.

It seems to be causing some minor irritation to the polyps around it (they are just a bit miss colored), whatever it is.

photo25_zpsca4b0270.jpg

opaquelace

Favias need lower light. Both of mine are in partial shade at the bottom of my tank and do very well.

To the OP, does it look similar to ramen noodles at a closer look? If so that's mesenterial filaments, or guts and it should be fine. Just leave it alone. Looks like a very healthy piece to me. Very beautiful in fact.

i know what you're talking about, but this is more like udon noodles :P

but whatever it is, it does not seem to be part of the coral and it killed a perfectly healthy polyp. hope it heals quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

that white stuff keeps coming back! i was able to siphon it out just as easily though. the surrounding polyps are still fine, but there is still a hole in the colony. maybe this is the coral trying to heal itself? i don't know...

Archived