SaltCritters.com

Skimmer only or gac/gfo

lilmatty5dimes

lilmatty5dimes

i just got a killer deal on a nuvo 16 tank basically free and i'm trying to figure out how to beef up the filtration a lil bit. would it be better to just get a good skimmer and do water changes or add gac and gfo?

also whats a good skimmer for these all in one tanks. i've seen the cad pipeless and liked that would that fit in here? thanks for everyones input.

Both systems work. It depends on your bioload and your method of reefkeeping. I have been skimmerless for 15 years and prefer the simplicity of natural systems. Put some decorative macros and you will have a thriving balanced ecosystem in your Nuvo 16. What kind of lights does it have?

Patrick

lilmatty5dimes

Both systems work. It depends on your bioload and your method of reefkeeping. I have been skimmerless for 15 years and prefer the simplicity of natural systems. Put some decorative macros and you will have a thriving balanced ecosystem in your Nuvo 16. What kind of lights does it have?

Patrick

as of now i've got a pair of clowns. probably add 2 more smaller fish. i had a 7.5g that was skimmerless and ran a tablespoon of carbon and gfo. i just wanted to get away from the gfo and gac. what kind of macro would you suggested? right now i've got the im sky leds/stock. i have a 18" mh/t5 fixture i was going to put on but figure that is would be to much over of a over kill. now i'm thinking of going with reef breeder value fixture. thats what was on the 7.5g tank and was awesome. thanks for you input and advice.

Always use gac.

is this to keep the water clear? thanks

A side effect of gac is clarity of water. Certain chemicals build up from biochemistry of reactions and certain chemicals are produced by corals as a defense against encroachment. GAC removes both sources. It should be replaced periodically.

Macroalgae removes almost everything from the water and is a biological filter.

I like Red Grapes. They are a slow grower and should do well with less intense lighting. I like a fast growing macro for nutrient export. There are several Feather Caulerpa that would provide a vivid green contrast to the dark red Botryocladia.

Archived