Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Camera Options(future upgrade)

Paandemonium

Paandemonium

Hey guys! I currently have a Canon T3i and I want to do a little upgrade. I like the canon user interface as the Nikon one comes off as a bit clunky?

So I was thinking Canon 7D or Canon 70D are within my price range. If anyone owns these please let me know how you like them, thanks :)

Paandemonium

• Buy lenses instead
  • ?????
  • Profit!

Why not a new body?

invest in L lens if you got the money. and then get Lightroom.

Any suggestions on the lenses?

doppelganger

because unless you're making massive prints and need the megapixels, need a very fast af system, or need to shoot 8fps etc, chances are you don't need a new body. Lenses are what make the images. Sharpness, focal length, depth of field, that's a huge part of photography.

as for lens suggestions, what do you have and what do you like to shoot?

Paandemonium

What is wrong with the current one?

Nothing I just want something faster

because unless you're making massive prints and need the megapixels, need a very fast af system, or need to shoot 8fps etc, chances are you don't need a new body. Lenses are what make the images. Sharpness, focal length, depth of field, that's a huge part of photography.

as for lens suggestions, what do you have and what do you like to shoot?

I like landscapes, time lapses, portraits and fish lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

From my days with Canon, also owning the t3i, i heard that the 7d is most often fully utilized in action and sports, etc... but i wish i had the 60d at the time, and currently am using the 60d... albeit they say its the same sensor etc as the t3i, something about it takes better photos... snappier AF, more intuitive... second wheel helps change settings on the fly, top view screen... small details that set it aside, and also weather sealing...

Im actually in the process of shopping canon and nikon to get back into the hobby... going to play with a nikon d5200 tomorrow... will be interesting how i pick up the settings, if so, i have a shopping list ready to go for some lenses!

doppelganger

I like landscapes, time lapses, portraits and fish lol

I still always suggest the canon 50mm 1.8 for new ppl that want to get into photography more. It's super cheap for what you get. Of course if you're looking for something with better quality than you can spend more and go for the 1.4. On a crop sensor the 50mm will be 80mm for you and that's a great place to start with portraits. It's fast enough that you can shoot in lower light and your tank. The only thing is that it is a prime so that might turn some people off but in terms of image sharpness and speed, you can't really beat primes.

As for landscapes, you'll need something wider most of the time. I loved my ultra wide tokina 11-16 on my old cropped camera. but I don't know if that's in your budget. Wide angle lenses are a little bit tricker for canon. There isn't one amazing lens that stands out imo. You'll probably better off going for a zoom with a wider low end like 18/24mm or something. It'll be more practical than just having a ultra wide unless you LOVE landscapes and really want to get into it.

• 2 weeks later...

gonna tag on here as I'm also in the market for lenses. T5i on the way. I picked up the nifty fifty and just the body so far. Macro lense will come later in the year, but need another recommendation for a general use for family get togethers and kids running around the back yard..

gonna tag on here as I'm also in the market for lenses. T5i on the way. I picked up the nifty fifty and just the body so far. Macro lense will come later in the year, but need another recommendation for a general use for family get togethers and kids running around the back yard.

Depends. You could pickup:

SouthFlorida_Tron

Since owning a rebel camera, I would not suggest spending the money on 24-105 just because it's an L...

Look into a 35mm lens, also, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a Canon lens that should be an L.

jedimasterben

also, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. It's a Canon lens that should be an L.

It's also a $900 lens, so the picture quality should be damned good lol

budget is about $400... so looks like option #2..

looks like it can be had for about $249 used..

i always have an issue buying used stuff.. i need to get over that shit.. not like the new stuff doesn't break either.. :/

budget is about $400... so looks like option #2. looks like it can be had for about $249 used.

Read the reviews on Amazon to make sure this sounds like what you want. Then get it from a trusted site that rates their used equipment like B&H or KEH.

Might even be a reasonable lens for shooting tank shots.

Mike, for that budget, you might even look at the Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 MACRO ($348 new): http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-250mm-f3-5-6-3-Digital-Cameras/dp/B008B48AAE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404855345&sr=8-2&keywords=sigma+macro+canon

Looks interesting as a do everything (macro) lens, although it won't be as sharp or as fast as prime lenses, or even a couple of zoom lenses which cover this wide of a zoom range.

I got the 70D and really like it. I was upgrading from a rebel XTi. I also have the 17-55 2.8 USM and love it. If you want to look at some samples you can check out my flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nano-reef/

I got the lens about a year before I got the new body so you can check out the exif data and see what that lens will do on a rebel, and on a 70d.

hmm....i couldn't pay for a slow lens. if you gonna get a new lens with a $400 budget, look for 3rd party mid zooms like the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

winner

Archived