Pod Your Reef

UWdanno's IM Nuvo 4 Gallon

uwdanno

Sweet tank! Do you remember where you got the desk lamp from? That is the exact style I'm looking for.

I'll double check tonight but I am 99% sure it was Office Depot. I believe it was about $25.

It works well. I recently moved from a par 30 to a par 38. The weight difference on the bulbs is pretty significant. The 38 pulls the lamp down a little bit but nothing too bad.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gosh... this is such a beautiful pico. Definitely going to have to use this for comparisons on mine.

Great setup and awesome pics!

Thanks for the compliments. Its still a pretty young tank - 7 months- but I'm overall pretty happy with it.

I am working through a small challenge in my parameters. My sensitive SPS isn't happy with something. Getting a lot of STN and lost a couple pieces. I am going to hold off on adding any additional SPS for a couple months. Let things calm down a bit.

Gosh... this is such a beautiful pico. Definitely going to have to use this for comparisons on mine.

Wanted to mention to you that my JF Lepto is consistently one of the happiest corals in the tank. GET ONE!

I moved it down a bit so its partly shaded. Colors are darkening up, which I like better. Its also a fast grower. Every time I look at it, its spread out more.

Thanks for the compliments. Its still a pretty young tank - 7 months- but I'm overall pretty happy with it.

I am working through a small challenge in my parameters. My sensitive SPS isn't happy with something. Getting a lot of STN and lost a couple pieces. I am going to hold off on adding any additional SPS for a couple months. Let things calm down a bit.

Wanted to mention to you that my JF Lepto is consistently one of the happiest corals in the tank. GET ONE!

I moved it down a bit so its partly shaded. Colors are darkening up, which I like better. Its also a fast grower. Every time I look at it, its spread out more.

Definitely grabbing a Jacko for the pico! Just waiting for a couple of corals to settle in before letting something like a jack o take up all the elements. I'm going to hold off on sps too, I'm not sure if I'm up for maintaining a pico with SPS with how busy I usually am.

Definitely grabbing a Jacko for the pico! Just waiting for a couple of corals to settle in before letting something like a jack o take up all the elements. I'm going to hold off on sps too, I'm not sure if I'm up for maintaining a pico with SPS with how busy I usually am.

Smart call on the sps. They just cause frustration in a pico. I'm looking more and more for LPS that can tolerant high light to fill the spots sps leave behind.

I have had great success with my ORA kelly green Psammacora and my encrusting sunset montipora. They are hardy and stay alive while others die

This tank is starting to look awesome man,great job. I'm kinda almost happy to say this is the first Pico I've seen in awhile with out a overwhelming amount of Zoa's lol.

Have you tested to see what is off balance ? That's one thing I hate about our size tanks,the littlest thing sets stuff off. I luckly have not have any problems with the 10+ acro/SPS pieces in my 2 gallon and things are less than stable lol.

your tank is so clean and beautiful

Thanks. When I set it up I set the landscape up so I could reach all point of the glass for cleaning. Makes life a lot easier. I've also tried to be really thoughtful about where things are placed. I want it to look natural but also planned out. Everything has a place!!

This tank is starting to look awesome man,great job. I'm kinda almost happy to say this is the first Pico I've seen in awhile with out a overwhelming amount of Zoa's lol.

Have you tested to see what is off balance ? That's one thing I hate about our size tanks,the littlest thing sets stuff off. I luckly have not have any problems with the 10+ acro/SPS pieces in my 2 gallon and things are less than stable lol.

I like tanks with diversity. My biggest goal when I started the tank was to have people look at it and explore. When you scuba or snorkel there's always the anticipation of seeing something new around the next turn. I'm trying to create something similar to that. Zoas are great but there's so much more!

Jealous of your sps success! When my tank restablizes I'll test a couple more pieces. I have tested it haven't seen anything alarming. My test kits aren't awesome though. I had a fish die over the holiday and I never found him. I'm sure the crabs ate him. That was the start of the STN. My guess is he kicked off an ammonia imbalance as he decomposed.... But who knows. Water changes and time will solve it.

I've never snorkeled or dove anywhere but I can agree in documentaries and movies I've seen. But you're right there really is,even though Zoa's and SPS are my weakness lol.

Thanks man,have you scoped out my 7g (really my 2g) thread ? Oh wow,yeah that'll defintely trigger that. Hopefully things get figured out man,that sucks.

Got tired of leaning behind the couch to unplug equipment for maintenance. So I hooked everything up to this DIY switch box I made a couple years back.. Very convenient!

DSC_0476.jpg

It tucks away nicely

7F5EC148-B96E-471D-930B-9F4B3DD16FFB.jpg

This tank is absolutely brilliant, I hope I can get my 20 long to look this good. What salt mix do you use if you don't mind me asking? I use RC and find that the Ca is way too high.

This tank is absolutely brilliant, I hope I can get my 20 long to look this good. What salt mix do you use if you don't mind me asking? I use RC and find that the Ca is way too high.

Thank you very much! It's had its ups and downs like everyone else. I use RC as well. The tank is so small I just fill up jugs monthly of pre made water from the LFS.

Intersting about the Ca with RC. I've been lazy on measuring Ca Mg and Alk. I need to get on it. Right now I am not dosing anything but I think that is catching up to me. SPS is a little grumpy lately. I'll grab some Hanna checkers soon and let you know what I come out with.

Thank you very much! It's had its ups and downs like everyone else. I use RC as well. The tank is so small I just fill up jugs monthly of pre made water from the LFS.

Intersting about the Ca with RC. I've been lazy on measuring Ca Mg and Alk. I need to get on it. Right now I am not dosing anything but I think that is catching up to me. SPS is a little grumpy lately. I'll grab some Hanna checkers soon and let you know what I come out with.

In general I've found that it mixes like so:

Ca - ~500

Alk - ~11ish

Mg - 1400

In my tank I have to dose alk often because it gets consumed quickly, I have mainly SPS though.

In general I've found that it mixes like so:

Ca - ~500

Alk - ~11ish

Mg - 1400

In my tank I have to dose alk often because it gets consumed quickly, I have mainly SPS though.

Not sure if I missed it but do you have a thread? Id love to check it out.

If you don't want to dose,I've found RSCP mixes really high on Alk and Calc & Mag. My tank has been at 12 for all for months. But it's stable so all my SPS are fine. Calc mixes around 440-450 and mag is aroud 1380 to 1400.

If you don't want to dose,I've found RSCP mixes really high on Alk and Calc & Mag. My tank has been at 12 for all for months. But it's stable so all my SPS are fine. Calc mixes around 440-450 and mag is aroud 1380 to 1400.

Interesting. I'll check it out.

Something is up with the last bucket of water I got from my LFS. I did a bigger change than usual - about 60% and now my one of my more stable SPS is struggling. Havent seen the polyps in a week and the color is almost all lost. Not sure it will pull through.

Typically I do about a 30% change. I am wonder if, over time, my Alk had dropped. Then with a larger WC, possibly with a high Alk, the tank jumped way up causing a swing. Not sure yet.

In other news - my digi and monti are pretty bleached too. I got them that way and was hoping to recover them but the color isnt coming back as I had hoped. I am increasing the spot feedings to them daily - roti andy oyster. Hopefully it helps.

Did you happen to test before doing a water change ? One thing I'm happy about,when I get water for my tanks that I'm about to set up,they mix their normal frag tanks and their sps water to different params. So I'll be getting some of their sps water for my 7 gallon which will have all my sps and I'll mix my own water for my Zoa's/Shroom/Acan tank.

Maybe try moving them to a lower par area and see if they make a some back. I'm assuming your red dragon is struggling ?

Did you happen to test before doing a water change ? One thing I'm happy about,when I get water for my tanks that I'm about to set up,they mix their normal frag tanks and their sps water to different params. So I'll be getting some of their sps water for my 7 gallon which will have all my sps and I'll mix my own water for my Zoa's/Shroom/Acan tank.

Maybe try moving them to a lower par area and see if they make a some back. I'm assuming your red dragon is struggling ?

I think that's what I ran into. Different waters mixed to different levels.

I just moved the bleached Psammacora down. We shall see. The Red Dragon caught some rtn right away. I cut it back and the frags are happy in the mini frag rack on the glass. My Forestfire Digi is the coral I've never been able to color up. No green base but that's a common problem. I bought it that way. Probably why I got it for super cheap

Archived