Coral Vue Hydros

Blue Spotted Jawfish

Havok_9

Found one for a great deal from a local reefer. I've skimmed and have done my research, and was curious about any specific pointers for this species? The owner tells me he eats everything from frozen mysis to pellets- anything that is offered, really. I know they're jumpers, I've got a makeshift screen until I can build something more permanent (and appealing).

I do have one issue that worries me. He comes with a little PVC home that I'm going to have to burrow in the sand. By doing so, am I going to release some gnarly junk from my sandbed by disturbing it? Tank's been established just shy of a year.

It's not deep, maye one to one and a half inches. I'm hoping if I do it slowly and just gently press the pvc into the sand it won't stir it up too badly, and then maybe to a quick 25% water change it might be alright..

that fish is going to dig burrows EVERYWHERE until he decides where he likes it best. i wouldnt worry about the sandbed. just have some water change water ready and test a little more often. if you see him digging a lot, add a couple extra waterchanges until he settles in.

edit: awesome fish choice!

Previous owner said he really took a liking to his pvc tunnel home, so hopefully I'll have luck with him burrowing there where he's visible so I can enjoy my new addition!

Previous owner said he really took a liking to his pvc tunnel home, so hopefully I'll have luck with him burrowing there where he's visible so I can enjoy my new addition!

Clean your sand bed. I have a jawfish and they will move sand around even if they have a preferred home. They mostly do it in the middle of the night. Make sure the top can't come off easy. If it is just sitting on top loosely and lightweight, they can knock it right off. Makes sure there are no gaps ANYWHERE. They actively look for holes and find them.

Okay, tonight I'll be syphoning the sand and then do a water change right after. I'll be adding the jawfish early afternoon tomorrow.

Right now as far as a cover all I have is some mesh I'll have to tape down... I know what you're thinking, fancy stuff. But I plan on customizing a heavy duty screen top soon.

I'm really looking forward to him. Thanks for the replies and advice!

Dr.Brain Coral

hm.. I keep my tank at 78 degrees. How much lower should it be? The guy said he had him for 6 months.

They are from cold areas so probably 65 to 70 degrees would bea good temperature range.

Awesome fish :) like everyone has said, tight lid. If you have an overflow box it may jump into it. Mine has jumped into the overflow box many times scaring the crap out of me to find him in my sump sock. Go to your LFS and get some live rock rubble and put in there for him to build his holes.

Awesome fish :) like everyone has said, tight lid. If you have an overflow box it may jump into it. Mine has jumped into the overflow box many times scaring the crap out of me to find him in my sump sock. Go to your LFS and get some live rock rubble and put in there for him to build his holes.

^Yea that's exactly why the guy sold him, he jumped into his overflow and thought he was dead. When eventually discovered him in the sump, he just decided to sell him.

So I got the little guy, now named Hamish, home. Burried his pvc/barnacle home in the corner of the tank. I'm going to have to add more sand and rubble when I have a chance. Acclimated him for 45 mins with lights out (not sure, but read somewhere that it reduces stress when adding new fish). He disappeared immediately into the rockwork when I added him into the tank. The only other inhabitant right now is a single O. Clown, who was indifferent if not a little annoyed I wasn't adding food instead.

The guy that sold me Hamish gave me some really great black crate material. It's not as thick as eggcrate, softer and flexible. Perfect stuff. I've cut it to fit my tank and it's taped down right now until I build a metal frame for it.

I also did dial back my heater to 75-76. Not sure if thats enough to make a difference for him.

Well... My room mate never believed I even added another fish to the tank... Until she went downstairs and saw it on the floor this morning. I don't even understand how he got out, the plastic mesh was taped down! Unless he managed to aim himself in perfect trajectory right through one of the slots?? This stuff was slightly more narrow than egg crate. Ugh. I love waking up at six am to flush $75 down the toilet.

Sorry to hear :( Slightly more narrow then egg crate is not small enough, so he likely went right through it. They are like slippery little torpedo eel's with precision aiming.

Thanks guys. I completely underestimated him! I would have sworn the holes were much smaller than his head, he was a large fish. But like you said, made himself into a perfect fish missile.

He was just starting to peek around and check things out. I feel so guilty...

no more jumpers for me.

Archived