Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pylei Fairy Wrasse - Cebu Var.

afyounie

I stopped by my LFS to check out if they had anything in and came across one of these little fairy wrasse. They didn't know what kind of fairy wrasse and neither did I. We searched the web and reference books there in the shop, but found nothing. I figured, eh its a fairy wrasse, won't get very big and he is a very nice looking specimen. So I bought him. Took me awhile searching to finally ID him, but there is very little information out there on these guys. I know they are a deep water species. As far as difficulty, this guy eats pellets, frozen, and pretty much anything that might look like food. So as far as getting him to eat its been no problem. The only thing I've started to run into that bothers me is how territorial he can be. He tends to hover and guard a certain region of the tank. If the firefish enter the region, they are chased out. He doesn't pursue though. Just chase out. The clown squares off against him sometimes, actually most of the time. The only fish he doesn't bother is the scooter blenny. The other day I saw him grab a nassarius snail about half inch long and throw it and attack it. So I have a few questions for those that know about these fish. Will they eat snails, hermits, shrimp? Should I worry about my firefish getting attacked? I like my firefish more. Are these guys known to kill other species of fish or just be territorial towards other wrasse? Are there any specific requirements I may not be meeting for this guy? I figure my tank might be a little small, but unless this guy is a risk to my other fish, I won't get rid of him. I'd like to have him when I setup a large 100 or so gal tank in the future. One thing I did notice is that he tried to eat a bristle worm. I found out because he had a tuft of bristles stuck into his bottom lip region and did not seem to be too happy about it.

Pyleis are pretty much one of the most aggressive fairies. They will attack crustaceans and snails occasionally but there's not much you can do about that.

Ok, that's fine. They can all take care of themselves if that's the case. Just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to start snacking on them. And they may be aggressive, but they are absolutely gorgeous with the blue lines running down their bright pink body and the neon blue and yellow highlights coupled with the bold black spots. Are there anyways to calm them down? Adding another fish or feeding them a certain diet?

Not really, adding another will just cause more issues. If you have any fish similar in size or slightly larger than the wrasse you need to be watchful because these guys can and will kill other fish that are threatening to them. Just observe him with the other fish in the tank thoughtfully because you need to be ready to move him if he's being overly aggressive.

Never noticed any agression from mine other then when I tried to add little red spot cardinals he ate one (all of my fish attacked them). I've had mine for about 7 years. Doesn't bother flame wrasse or any of my other fish.

Ok, that's good to know. Right now he is the biggest in the tank. He doesn't like when any fish gets to close, but the only ones he is willing to push around are the fire fish. He is hesitant with my clown, understandably so. The clown often tries to jump out of the water to attack my face. I guess I will just keep my fish stocking to what it is now and if he becomes too aggressive, back to the LFS.

Archived