inTank Media Baskets

How to mask light in sump between sections

Mojado

Mike Savage

I have never used anything. I have always allowed the light to light the refugium as well as the pump and return areas of the sump and it has worked great. I have no macro growing in any of the other areas.

I just had a thought. Maybe you were talking about an all-in-one tank. I've not had any experience growing macro in the back of an all-in-one tank but I doubt the light issue would be any different than a separate sump/refugium setup.

I have never used anything. I have always allowed the light to light the refugium as well as the pump and return areas of the sump and it has worked great. I have no macro growing in any of the other areas.

I just had a thought. Maybe you were talking about an all-in-one tank. I've not had any experience growing macro in the back of an all-in-one tank but I doubt the light issue would be any different than a separate sump/refugium setup.

I was thinking about the sump. I don't want light spilling into other areas gunking things up.

• 2 weeks later...

Smoke or black acrylic would be the obvious choices .

Obvious in what sense? Smoke? What is that? A process or a product?

Simply use colored baffles in your sump.

I've used white ones in mine and there's barely any light in my skimmer compartment.

Smoke or black acrylic would be the obvious choices .

http://www.estreetplastics.com/Grey_Smoke_Plexiglass_2064_s/80.htm

Product. Kind of a transparent dark grey.

Simply use colored baffles in your sump.

I've used white ones in mine and there's barely any light in my skimmer compartment.

I should add that I'm looking to use glass. Is there something I apply to the glass?

I should add that I'm looking to use glass. Is there something I apply to the glass?

Black krylon fusion spray paint. It is safe for use on items being placed in the water.

Archived