Pod Your Reef

White mucus on my new favia - any insight?

TeamIM24

We got a new favia frag a week and a half ago. An hour or so after I dipped it, I something small that looked like a tiny feather duster crawl out of the side of the skeleton. Suctioned it out, watched for more, and didn't see anything else of note.

Went out of town for a week and had a friend watch the tank. He told me that the favia was starting to get white on the left side, but I was surprised as to how bad it was when we got back. The white had just been on a polyp or two at the beginning, but now it has overtaken the whole frag. The polyps on the left where the white began are now looking like bare skeleton, and the middle and right hand ones are covered with a white slimy stuff. The color is all but gone. Hermits are picking at the left side, so I'm guessing that part is dead and the rest is on its way out.

The rest of our corals are all doing fine (plate, acans, zoas, leather, palys, frogspawn, hammer, candy cane, montipora and kenya trees).

Anything we can do to save the favia? Or at least any idea as to what the white gunk is and how it might've had that happen? I've seen almost everywhere that favia are pretty hardy and easy to care for, so I was a bit surprised at how fast this one went down the tubes.

Might the little hitchhiker have had anything to do with it?

Here's a photo from a week ago and the photo I took about an hour ago:

post-81248-0-04322300-1403661464_thumb.jpg

post-81248-0-29530400-1403661518_thumb.jpg

vegasgundog

I have a favia frag that I was sure was near death for a long time came back to life after a peroxide dip for algae on its base. It bubbled out of its mouths so I figured it was done. That was months ago and now it eats mysis twice a week and is always happy. Whether I got lucky or it was what it needed I don't realy know.

I have a favia frag that I was sure was near death for a long time came back to life after a peroxide dip for algae on its base. It bubbled out of its mouths so I figured it was done. That was months ago and now it eats mysis twice a week and is always happy. Whether I got lucky or it was what it needed I don't realy know.

We dipped ours when we brought it home along with the montipora and acan. The Monti and acan are doing great.

Steensj2004

I has a yellow torch that had something similar. I found it out to be a type of bacterial infection or something similar. Not sure if it is specific to that coral type but I heard some rumors it can spread to other LPS, so I removed it after a few days in lue of spreading... Hope it gets better for you.

We went ahead and removed it. The whole thing was white. It was very smelly which tells me it was toast. Everything else is still looking great.

Steensj2004

We went ahead and removed it. The whole thing was white. It was very smelly which tells me it was toast. Everything else is still looking great.

Too bad, I think it is good to remove it. The stuff I mentioned before can spread to other LPS

I'd agree that it is a bacterial infection. That coral looks like it is already toast to me... I'd dispose of it.

When we pulled it out I can't tell you how bad it smelled. Doing a water change as we speak. Bummed to have lost it but glad that everything else is still doing so well.

Steensj2004

Yuck! Sorry for your loss! I searched and searched for the cause when my yellow torch pooped out on me, never for a solid answer.

Archived