inTank Media Baskets

theishkid's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

theishkid

And here it is from this morning about 9 am. Probably about 15 hours after adding the sand.

I probably should have turned the pumps off to let it settle but I didn't. They've been running the entire time.

I'm ordering the rock today.

14932300068_1ccfc326d2_b.jpg

And this little guy… the PLS-50 Elite is driving me crazy. I don't know how you're suppose to tune this thing and I can't even imagine the previous model. Turning it a single millimeter is the difference in overflowing the cup and not getting anything at all.

15118495752_f4c5326eeb_b.jpg

I am experiencing the same thing with the PLS50 elite. I am thinking it may just be because of the fact that the tank is not cycled yet, or at least I am hoping. I also am getting a ton of micro bubbles from mine, did you?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am experiencing the same thing with the PLS50 elite. I am thinking it may just be because of the fact that the tank is not cycled yet, or at least I am hoping. I also am getting a ton of micro bubbles from mine, did you?

I'm not seeing any micro bubbles, but my tank is so cloudy right now that I wouldn't know if they were there or not.

My first shipment arrived today with my heater, a maxi jet 900 for mixing salt, and my new Refractometer!

14835696731_e3c0459416_b.jpg

14652132189_9b0f3c1730_b.jpg

This thing is way bigger than I was expecting. Now I know why the case (which I didn't buy but might now) is so expensive. I put it next to the 9V battery so you can get an idea.

got the same one! great quality

I have the orig pls50 and when I turn it back on after wc or need to make adjustments, I turn it on and turn it just so its not overflowing the cup. Then I let it do its thing for 10-15 mins and the fine tune it then double check 10-15 mins later to be sure its right where I want it. It is pretty touchy though.

The tuning on the skimmer should get better. The pipeless skimmers from cad take a little bit to break in. I know they say the elite is better in that aspect, but it still requires a good bacterial seal. Also, without anything in the tank, and no cycle going, it will be harder to tune. I would wait till you were well into your cycle, and then turn it on. Tune the skimmer to where the foam head is at the skimmer neck. In other words, take the cup off, and set the level so that it's not overflowing from the neck. Once it starts rockin it will produce a nice skimate .

The tuning on the skimmer should get better. The pipeless skimmers from cad take a little bit to break in. I know they say the elite is better in that aspect, but it still requires a good bacterial seal. Also, without anything in the tank, and no cycle going, it will be harder to tune. I would wait till you were well into your cycle, and then turn it on. Tune the skimmer to where the foam head is at the skimmer neck. In other words, take the cup off, and set the level so that it's not overflowing from the neck. Once it starts rockin it will produce a nice skimate .

Alex thank you for the placement tip... I was definitely trying to figure out where to TRY setting it.

Here's tonight's picture. I think this is approximately 28 hours after adding sand.

15100431626_d81f56b9c5_b.jpg

Well I wasn't expecting this… came around the corner this morning and found the tank very clear! Even got some natural shimmer on the floor.

15105529476_9efc602f1e_b.jpg

Nice stand!

I made my own stand and it's a nice way to save on $$ where you can, but it's driving me nuts not being organized.

I dig the organization and the lights.

We have the same jug on the bottom right! B)

I can definitely say I didn't save any money on this guy… But It's really awesome and I can't imagine how it could have been better.

I can definitely say I didn't save any money on this guy… But It's really awesome and I can't imagine how it could have been better.

It really is awesome.

Being new to saltwater tanks, I had to start out the "cheap" way because I was worried I'd get bored or it would be too hard, or I just wouldn't like it and didn't want to be out tons of money. I'm so glad I joined this forum to see all these awesome tanks like yours that some day I hope to emulate.

Being new to saltwater tanks, I had to start out the "cheap" way because I was worried I'd get bored or it would be too hard, or I just wouldn't like it and didn't want to be out tons of money. I'm so glad I joined this forum to see all these awesome tanks like yours that some day I hope to emulate.

There is definitely nothing wrong with starting out slow. It's what I did years ago with my first two tanks. I just decided this time I was gonna go out and get what I wanted the first time and not re-buy items like better pumps over time.

But I definitely think you're smart to make sure you love the hobby first.

So couple of updates...

I received my NanoBox light from Dave that has the Bluefish on it. I've got a couple small issues that Dave is being awesome and working with me on to make it perfect. The light is a cannon and the Bluefish is amazing.

I also installed the Tunze 3155 ATO and so far I'm not really happy with it. When I have my skimmer going (which isn't broken in yet) it creates a lot of air bubbles and those bubbles are collecting around the sensor and it keeps over filling the tank. I don't have a whole lot of options of where to put the ATO so unless I move it to the display tank I might have to go with something else.

I also ordered some rock from KP Aquatics last week but just got an email that it's still curing so it won't go out until next week.

Because I am so impatient I went and got 3 pounds from the LFS just to get the ball rolling on the tank.

15045216529_f647a9027a_b.jpg

Another small update... the skimmer seems not to be making as many micro bubbles and the ATO is working a little bit better now.

I finally installed my mp10 today and I'm not really happy with it. The dry side is loud at anything over 50 percent. Putting it on any kind of wave pattern is really annoying hearing it ramp up every 3 seconds. I'm gonna play with it a little bit more before I call vortech but so far this aint cool.

Hopefully the rock will be here Tuesday or Wednesday and we can actually get cooking on this thing.

The 2nd mp10 I purchased was a lil loud when I first hooked it up. It took about 2 weeks before it quieted down, now I can barely hear it. Give it some break in time and hopefully it will quiet down. Same goes for the skimmer, once it gets that slime coat the bubble will subside, the piece of sponge before the return should help.

I received my rock this morning! It looks and smells great. Came from KP Aquatics in Florida. I've very happy with the look and color of this stuff.

This was 20 pounds that I purchased from KP Aquatics, in addition to the 2 pounds I bought from the LFS. Now I just threw it in the tank as quick as possible and have not scaped it yet. But do you think this is enough rock or should I get another 10 pounds from them?

15083195410_49fa4727d7_b.jpg

15083344267_8176f2e39c_b.jpg

15246893896_9cf97a11a2_b.jpg

15269899075_0ec785f525_b.jpg

Today has been a BIG day!

First round of test (other than salinity).

Rock came this morning.

Rock scaped tonight.

First tiny bit of tea like material (very light but finally something) in the skimmer.

The results...

Salinity - 1.025

PH - 8.0

Carbonate Hardness - 7 dKH

Phosphate - .15 ppm

Nitrate - 1 ppm

Nitrite - 0 ppm

Ammonia - .50 ppm

And now the rock!

15272256391_db39cffefb_b.jpg

15088624129_db196883de_b.jpg

15088801388_a8b7e31898_b.jpg

15275375575_ec4645b0c8_b.jpg

I enjoy the scape but how are you getting some of these pieces to stay like that (especially the top left piece)?! Did you epoxy them together at all? If not, you may want to consider putting something under at least the upper left piece to make sure it doesn't go tumbling if a crab or snail decides to nudge it.

I enjoy the scape but how are you getting some of these pieces to stay like that (especially the top left piece)?! Did you epoxy them together at all? If not, you may want to consider putting something under at least the upper left piece to make sure it doesn't go tumbling if a crab or snail decides to nudge it.

Yea the photos are kind of weird… it looks like it's just barely sitting there. But the rock is almost like a lego piece and it's sitting in their perfectly. I even put quite a bit of force on it and tried to move it around and it didn't budge.

I'm gonna look at this for the next week or so as I get the cycle going and I'll see if I still like it.

Archived