Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

theishkid's CAD Lights 34G Mini-II

theishkid

I actually haven't tried it with the elite yet. I do know that the collection cup is a little bit higher than the original PLS-50 on the Elite.

What I want to know is… what direction do y'all angle your skimmer pump before putting it in the tank? And how do you run the silencer line?

I'm trying to figure that out now as well. I am going to be doing a leak test and equipment check tonight to make sure everything is in working order so I'll be playing with it to see what orientation seems to work the best. Maybe Tron will chime in as to how he has his older PLS-50 oriented.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first shipment arrived today with my heater, a maxi jet 900 for mixing salt, and my new Refractometer!

14835696731_e3c0459416_b.jpg

14652132189_9b0f3c1730_b.jpg

This thing is way bigger than I was expecting. Now I know why the case (which I didn't buy but might now) is so expensive. I put it next to the 9V battery so you can get an idea.

Todays update...

My friend finished the drawers for the stand. It is basically done now, just waiting on the doors he ordered which should be in early next week and then stain.

14865446015_31f3655555_b.jpg

The funny thing is that I wasn't expecting him to make drawers, I thought it was just going to be a couple of little pull out shelfs that were basically their to put a cup on since it was next to the couch (the only way my wife would let me do this!). But they are very shallow drawers instead and after seeing the picture I was pretty excited. Not only can I put a coaster inside one for the person sitting on the couch, but I can also put test tubes, pipettes, and of course any other small objets.

I also got a new toy in the mail today from bulkreefsupply.com

14677531080_19f4fe9881_b.jpg

It's a 5 stage RO/DI for Chloramines. The iPhone is their to show how big this thing is! And it's really a lot heavier than I was expecting. Feels very solid and pretty much completely put together, it's really looking to be a pretty solid purchase.

I also bought a DIY screen top from BRS. I have to say that my initial thoughts are that it is pretty cheap feeling and just not very high quality. But then I started realizing that this is basically exactly what you would get if you went to the hardware store and bought all of this stuff. But at least it's a nice little kit and I don't have to go store hopping to find all the components. It didn't come with any instructions but I think they have a video on their youtube site.

One last thing... those pics of the Milwaukee refractometer were taken before I had a chance to try it out. I just used the test solutions which basically calibrate it... but man that thing is pretty freaking sweet so far. I had some gift cards to amazon, otherwise I wouldn't have paid $90 dollars for it. But after playing with it I can definitely recommend it so far. It's way better than my old refractometer was.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update today. My doors finally came in on the cabinet so hopefully that'll get completed this week!

I did a test and break in on my Bulk Reef System RO/DI unit. I'm not quite getting 75 GPD as advertised… but it might get there after it's broken in a little bit.

I'm probably going to do a leak test tonight on the tank in preparation for the stand.

Hopefully Dave is getting closer on my light as well.

And finally, I got my bag of Fiji Pink sand in today!

14958647151_a5e72aa923_b.jpg

Did the leak test tonight. I'm not 100% sure how even the bottom of the tank is. Honestly though it could be my floor. I was a little bit worried so I put a thick towel underneath just in case.

Does anyone recommend putting a small mat underneath the tank for weight dispersion? If so which one did you use?

14973586481_7fb8777303_b.jpg

14973590121_ba9d9bab01_b.jpg14790006419_22ac938137_b.jpg

The one small issue, and I'm not sure if this is important... Water started coming underneath the glass where the return pump will set when I was filling up the tank. Should this be sealed?

14789996509_c16e254d84_b.jpg

Did the leak test tonight. I'm not 100% sure how even the bottom of the tank is. Honestly though it could be my floor. I was a little bit worried so I put a thick towel underneath just in case.

Does anyone recommend putting a small mat underneath the tank for weight dispersion? If so which one did you use?

The one small issue, and I'm not sure if this is important... Water started coming underneath the glass where the return pump will set when I was filling up the tank. Should this be sealed?

Mine is slightly uneven too. I got a Mr Aqua mat from Marine Depot and cut it down to size. When I placed the aquarium on the mat and later moved it, you could see where the pressure on the mat was uneven from where the tank left compression marks. Depending on what surface you are sitting the tank on, you might be able to get away without a mat but I see it as cheap insurance.

Ideally the rear chambers would be sealed from the display portion but a little seepage won't matter once it is up and running - the pump flow is so much higher than the leakage rate. If there is a lot of flow to the rear chambers, you could end up getting substrate back there which wouldn't be so good.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Just dry the tank, and gently, lightly, silicone that baffle on both sides, shouldn't be a big deal.

Where are we all on the understanding of the settings for the elite. I just turned mine on yesterday. Tricky to set. I set it at the recommended 5" setting, and with my water levels where they are, the cup doe show by about 3/4"...

not a huge deal, but more concerning is all I'm getting is chaotic bubbling in the neck, no clean bubbles to form foam head... hopefully in due time....

As for a comment previously posted, my skimmer pump has the intake facing towards the 1st chamber.

Just dry the tank, and gently, lightly, silicone that baffle on both sides, shouldn't be a big deal.

Thanks for the info… I'll pick up some silicone. Is there any specific type I should get? Does Lowes or Home Depot sell something or do I need to run to the LFS?

Mine is slightly uneven too. I got a Mr Aqua mat from Marine Depot and cut it down to size. When I placed the aquarium on the mat and later moved it, you could see where the pressure on the mat was uneven from where the tank left compression marks. Depending on what surface you are sitting the tank on, you might be able to get away without a mat but I see it as cheap insurance.

I'm gonna pick up that same mat from Marine Depot. Mine is going on a custom wood stand that's being made so I don't want to damage that or risk anything happening to the tank.

In other news… I received a couple new toys today!

14795243100_05f88c9b28_b.jpg

New update today! Friend started staining the stand… looks like I'm gonna have something this weekend!

14797377049_72b6a6c0e8_b.jpg

And here's one with the buckets inside.

14983702032_29f8771cbf_b.jpg

He sent me a few more… forgot to get the doors out of his partners van so he couldn't finish it completely tonight.

14984249595_df8bfc6e86_b.jpg

14961252846_010dec1bbc_b.jpg

14797565069_cbdef4274a_b.jpg

Well I was going to wait until Monday to do anything but I decide to jump on it tonight!

I put about 15 gallons in the display and added some salt to start mixing things up.

I also got all the equipment set up and in the back chambers though I haven't filled those yet with water.

15069160515_d814f2e941_b.jpg

I finally got back home from all my trips and vacations... I filled the tank up all the way with water!

15110844012_614f26d588_b.jpg

Then I filled her up with sand!

14924655827_28ee53c338_b.jpg

I still need to set up the MP10 and the Tunze ATO but other than that... I'm officially rolling! Also Dave is sending my light tomorrow (I think).

And here it is from this morning about 9 am. Probably about 15 hours after adding the sand.

I probably should have turned the pumps off to let it settle but I didn't. They've been running the entire time.

I'm ordering the rock today.

14932300068_1ccfc326d2_b.jpg

And this little guy… the PLS-50 Elite is driving me crazy. I don't know how you're suppose to tune this thing and I can't even imagine the previous model. Turning it a single millimeter is the difference in overflowing the cup and not getting anything at all.

15118495752_f4c5326eeb_b.jpg

Archived