ReefCleaners.org

Yes, I have been chasing......ph

vegasgundog

vegasgundog

Don't chase ph. I tried to ignore it, but with my recent dino outbreak and some drop in coloration on a couple of corals, I have been chasing it. I tried reefbuilder ph but it wont stay up and constantly drops back down 7.4 - 7.8. So I'm going to try alnaturale......It's to dam hot now to open any windows even at night so I thought id give this a try.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/endarro1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140623_153346_zpsr6xgpkwe.jpg.html'>20140623_153346_zpsr6xgpkwe.jpg

Using foam pipe wrap to seal up the window, I'm running air line from outside through it to an aqualifter and an airstone in the first chamber of my biocube. I'm hoping for good things and a little fresh air cant hurt.

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/endarro1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140623_155129_zpsywxv0ucm.jpg.html'>20140623_155129_zpsywxv0ucm.jpg

jedimasterben

Dinos aren't necessarily 'caused' by low pH, but for some reason a few toxic species seem to be hampered by the reduction in CO2 that comes with a higher pH. I don't understand it, but the chemistry has to be there somewhere. It will unfortunately not fix the problem. :(

vegasgundog

My 48hr blackout knocked out dinos pretty good. But I figure I won't be opening windows until Temps get below 100, so that won't be until September, might as well introduce some fresh air to the bc lol.

jedimasterben

It's always a good thing to introduce outside air to the tank, but against dinos, blackouts and raising pH won't kill them, just hamper them. At worst, it won't have an effect, and at best it will cause them to encyst and exist in low numbers, waiting for conditions to return to how they were when the dinos were infuriatingly prolific lol.

jedimasterben

I hate to bring bad news, but the only things that will legitimately kill dinos is to drain your tank, fill it with freshwater and run it like that for a bit, then refill it and put in new corals and such. They will always be in your tank, though they may not always be in bloom proportions. FW bursts their cell wall basically on contact, and bleach and acid dissolve them.

I thought I was rid of them until I moved my maxi minis back over from my dino death QT tank. I had completely broken down my tank, bleached my sand, acid washed all my rock, tank, and equipment. I chiseled the nems from their rock, ensured that there was zero substrate attached, gave them a FW dip and made sure they slimed up super thick so that no dinos could possibly still be attached.

Long story short, a few days later I came home to this.

IMG_7273.jpg

One of Sprungs books suggests not changing the water until the dinos die. I'm not sure of the reasoning I'm guessing starving them of some trace elements in the water or something.

jedimasterben

There is something that use to bloom exponentially, however I have never done a water change on my tank with the same results.

Archived