SaltCritters.com

Of Urchins and Odd Couples :)

MyJasmineRose

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MyJasmineRose

Fordham :) Working on developing treatments for osteoporosis

Tank update! Did a 30% water change today, waiting on it all to mix together before I test today so I don't get anything biased. Also got a skimmer hooked up. Did Warp's tank's weekly 1/2 gal water change, moved the zoa frag to show you all the new color morph, the original frag isn't any cool designer name but this new color is gorgeous (to me)...nearly lime green skirts with a blue center! Also including pics of another of the clams from the 29 who also wears a red macro hat, and a pic of my happy hidden cup coral with its little tentacles out :)

Zoas:

qj34NYS.jpg

Clam: (unnamed as of yet, we have Ron Weasley and Blackbeard named already as they're the most active)

Nbdh9x3.jpg

Happy Hidden Cup:

yrg3Zrr.jpg

Cool! At the moment I'm doing biomedical engineering research looking at stem cells and osteogenic differentiation in different biomaterials

Oh do you have a test kit for the water? If you don't that'd be a good investment

MyJasmineRose

Very cool! I do :) day 2 was ammonia 1.5, nitrites 1, nitrates 5 but the last two could be do to me using system water from the LFS. Day 3 post water change was ammonia 2, 0 on the other 2. Have Kent pro ammonia detox for dosing between so I can try to keep as much as possible alive. Just seems odd to me that with ammonia that high I have corals with full extension >_> though maybe the bound ammonia by the kent stuff still registers on tests.

MyJasmineRose

Some more rock pics today! Ammonia is up to 4, doing a 14 gal water change tomorrow afternoon. All the cup corals are out and happy, clams still all responsive :) Took pics of all the anemones and some of the more colorful rocks today!
C6WKfgI.jpg
LzgnRXq.jpg
cgtZgMx.jpg
ieiWqJJ.jpg
ko7mjo7.jpg
QzL5QSB.jpg
utZzZqG.jpg

MyJasmineRose

I aquascaped today! Some of the corals are really coloring back up fast :) Put Ron Weasley and Blackbeard front and center

yeyKAIp.jpg

mHLmUQq.jpg

TEEwiYB.jpg

This one glows under the actinics, it's got 2 rings of fluorescent green

zTXQmKk.jpg

VBy0egS.jpg

0kQeTSW.jpg

wCtXVKY.jpg

SeyTAYt.jpg

MyJasmineRose

Nearing the end of the cycle! New FTS with the live sand added

8mG6to0.jpg

WzTdcUd.jpg

bXkGDNe.jpg

Quick coral progression shot on the hitchiker blasto....

Before:

qM7mTot.jpg

After:

xlThjqE.jpg

MyJasmineRose

Oh PEA....why must you have such beautiful things when I can't have them for another 6 months....

g5kKkDS.jpg

I really didn't think these ones were going to make it, but both bunches I have are looking much better!

npCseZ9.jpg

MyJasmineRose

Well, time for some pictures of inhabitants!

The urchin found a new outfit 10 minutes in:

Xw8bxvt.jpg

The two clowns are BFFs at the moment (yes, I know it's a difficult pairing, I'm trying it myself before ordering a custom pair on ibluewater for $375, and have a 7.5 gal side compartment ready in case aggression happens :) )

pobmxUX.jpg

jyrfn5E.jpg

Umndc7V.jpg

The cat is being overly dramatic since I'm spending so much time with the fish :P

GXKkWTH.jpg

MyJasmineRose

Oh definitely, I have the whole side compartment set up for separation if I see it, as of right now they're showing all the signs of pairing I've seen, though I thought the side kissing thing was only in maroons and it's the snowflake who does it. No fin damage or anything and they sleep right next to each other :) (Side note-I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing fish sleep, I leave for work at 4:45 am so they're still out until I feed them, freaks me out every time :o) Some more adorable pics and nighttime pics today! :wub:

9fUQk0C.jpg

EPNKr7N.jpg

My cat has been doing the same thing!!

I think he's getting jealous of the time I spend staring at my tank... poor thing...

MyJasmineRose

I got up to go shopping to pick up new filter media yesterday, Bogart decided that wasn't allowed

aAEoniZl.jpg

Went to pick up saltwater and ended up leaving with this :)

eXmCHCLl.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Cool tank! You've got some nice rock and some cool hitchhikers in there.

Love that cat BTW! ;)

Went to pick up saltwater and ended up leaving with this :)

eXmCHCLl.jpg

Tunicates. I'm afraid that won't last long for you. Not even the pros and institutions can keep them alive very long. LFS's shouldn't be selling those.
MyJasmineRose

Oh they've been at the store for a few months now, been researching them since I started the larger tank, picked up the food they're using, was only $20 so worth a try :)

MyJasmineRose

My Randall's goby/tiger shrimp combo was out of stock, so my stocking plans got a little bit out of order when this beauty came in

XScC2Pz.jpg

MyJasmineRose

Happy Monday everyone!

Had a great weekend, covered in sunburn but had fun at a carnival yesterday. The lovely SO won me some cute stuffed animals, including a clown with major attitude eyebrows.

9D7jmOpl.jpg

Some more adorable mandarin pics, seems to get along with the clowns just fine, came in last night after lights out and all 3 were up front chilling. I got excited when I fed the tank some reef frenzy and the mandarin went nuts, but I have no idea what's in it that she's eating :huh:

ZpECkOkl.jpg

Clown photobomb

qxOOcGBl.jpg

And some odd couple cuteness for your Monday morning :wub: The maroon did the wiggle dance last night, I was pretty excited. :D

BrZM4i2l.jpg

And the snowflake wanted to show off his pretty coloring...

aOD68rfl.jpg

SOFpl7Il.jpg

I saw an absolutely beautiful baby clown at the LFS the other day, was waiting to hear back on a price. As you guys know, I designed the tank to hold any hitch hikers from my live rock separate from the main display (a little over 7.5 gal compartment), but I never got anything more than a snail and my turkey wings. So I'm thinking about picking this little guy up. The guy who was working couldn't tell me what type he was, he looks like a cross between a snowflake and a picasso :wub:

First I just wanted to say that I am jealous of your live rock and the specimens that came in on it! So don't be surprised if I sound bitter and envious. I also love urchins, so bravo or the best cleanup crew ever! As far as your clowns go, if the maroon is doing wiggle dance it will be fine for a time, that also looks like a white stripe maroon (not a immature gold stripe). White stripe will be calmer and the clown doing wiggle is usually the male in the relationship. Female maroons are the nastiest things, mine gives me love nips anytime she can, but the male is just a sweet heart that swims right up into my hand (probably hoping I will save him from his abusive relationship). The reason I still say only for a time is because eventually the species issue will catchup and you maroon will keep getting bigger while that cute little movie star clownfish will stay small. I don't mean to be long winded just got excited about the rock.

MyJasmineRose

Haha yes Metrokat the two cats are Spencer and Bogart :) too cool! Molelo thanks :) I love my rock and my urchin! I know the clowns are a difficult pair but I've seen several do it, there's even hybrid babies at my local fish store. Trying it on my own was $40 total, whereas buying a custom adult pair was $375 so I thought it was worth at least an attempt :)AKABryanHall has/sold a breeding pair where the male was the maroon, it was a bit bigger than the female but not by much

MyJasmineRose

The maroon didn't make it :/ he always swam funny but he never showed symptoms of any disease or stress. I guess petco sale fish shouldve tipped me off, but I'm still really upset. I was supposed to pick up a snowflake/picasso today but I think I'll wait until just before I head out to get a water sample for them to test to make sure it hasn't affected anything. As of right now params are good. Ordered a mystery box from saltcritters last night. If water params go funky I'll keep those corals in qt for a while until things are safe. All other fish are healthy and swimming normally. Also found a new hitchhiker, an urchin, waiting on a species id to see if he gets sent to the villain compartment or not (edit - black long spine urchin, guess that's a plus for the day :) )

The maroon didn't make it :/ he always swam funny but he never showed symptoms of any disease or stress. I guess petco sale fish shouldve tipped me off, but I'm still really upset. I was supposed to pick up a snowflake/picasso today but I think I'll wait until just before I head out to get a water sample for them to test to make sure it hasn't affected anything. As of right now params are good. Ordered a mystery box from saltcritters last night. If water params go funky I'll keep those corals in qt for a while until things are safe. All other fish are healthy and swimming normally. Also found a new hitchhiker, an urchin, waiting on a species id to see if he gets sent to the villain compartment or not

Sorry about the maroon clown. It is great to see that it paired so easily with the snowflake.

Archived