Top Shelf Aquatics

Crab questions...

Rollermonkey

Rollermonkey

So, I have three:

1: Strawberry crab and Emerald crab in the same tank? I haven't seen either in several weeks. Are they just that cryptic, or do you think they took each other out?

2: Emerald crabs... When they are full grown, will they actually eat fish? I've got one that's gotten very large, and I haven't seen the two of my fish that sleep in caves for a while. :(

3: Would either the aforementioned Strawberry or Emerald crabs be inclined to steal a frag plug to act as a door like stomatopods are known to do? Because either that or I've got a mantis that hitchhiked in as an itty-bitty thing on my 1/2-pound seed rock.

Full grown emeralds will definitely eat fish. All crabs are opportunistic. Smaller emeralds are cool, but big ones are hit or miss. I'd get him our and get a smaller one.

Rollermonkey

OK, that's a yes on 2...

I should mention that the guys in Q1 and Q3 are in a different tank from the one in Q2.

Crabs will eat what they can get their hands on... There isn't any reason that the crabs should be able to kill a fish outright IME. There's usually something wrong with the fish if they're able to get killed by a crab.

Snow_Phoenix

Hold up - I thought strawberry crabs weren't reef safe and were predatory? I was initially thinking of getting one, but someone told me they get very large and eat everything.

Archived