Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green Clown Goby diet

rockpainter

rockpainter

Hi everyone!

I have a green clown goby in my 3 gallon pico (soon to be upgraded to 5.5 gallon!!) Thankfully I'm not having any trouble getting him to eat -- he LOVES mysis (frozen Hikari). So much so that he won't eat the frozen cyclops or dry reefcleaners food that I offer him anymore. My only concern is that the Hikari packaging indicates it should only be fed as a treat. I know a varied diet is best, but can mysis be his staple food (or is it the equivalent of fish candy?)

From searching older threads, some have recommended the New Life spectrum pellets. I'm going to try that too, but I'm not sure if he'll eat them 'cause he doesn't currently eat floating food or food that's hit the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
rockpainter

So as an update, I bought New Life Specturm pellets (the 1mm, which turned out to be much bigger than I was expecting). The 1mm was WAY too big, and even after breaking the pellets up, he kept spitting them out. The pieces also sunk very quickly and he was even less interested once they hit the bottom of the tank. You might be better off with the flakes or the small fish formula. I'm probably going to stick with mysis.

In other news: does anybody want some New Life Spectrum 1mm marine pellets?!

Throw some acros and cyphastrea in there and it will have a hay day eating their polyps.....at least thats why I ended up getting rid of my yellow clown goby....lol.

In all seriousness, though, my YCG always ate LRS Reef Frenzy(would probably have the same result with any mixed frozen food) and Oyster Delight(same as Oyster Feast). You could give one of those a shot.

It also would somewhat eat NLS pellets, but not as much as the other two mentioned above. And for comparison sake, I had the floating pellets. I am not really sure how much different they are that the sinking ones.

rockpainter

I actually did buy a little sacrificial acro frag. He doesn't bother it at all! I am really looking for a pellet food just for ease of feeding/less waste, since he's my only fish. Thanks for the suggestions though!

River_styx

If your worried about nutritional value, just dose his food with selcon. Its the only vitamin food I know of that has enough vitamins in it to reverse lateral line erosion/prevent it. Just cut dosing it to food back to like 2-3 times a week.

Archived