Cultivated Reef

Drilling a 20G

NanoFever

Hey guys! I plan on drilling my 20G H tank but have never done it before. Its just a cheapo tank. I just didnt know if there were any limitations (Tempered glass)? Tips/Tricks/Do's and Donts. I plan on drilling for a sleeker design rather than an overflowbox. What are your thoughts?

post-84567-0-31427000-1403028196.jpg

Yeah dont drill tempered or the tank will be ruined. Its actually really really easy, Ive drilled 3 tanks now and never had a problem.

It is not hard, and there are a lot of videos out there on the google. Bulk Reef Suppl y also has videos, and they are a trusted source for this kind of thing.

Yeah its pretty easy. I put three in my current build. I just used a cheapo bit from amazon, was like $6 or something. My advice is if you're going to drill freehand, then make a template or just pop a hole the size of the bit in a piece of 3/4" wood and use that as a guide; this way you'll stay more or less 90*. Also if you but it against the edge of the tank it will keep your holes at the same height.

• 2 weeks later...
bdevillier19

when drilling just go slow and let gravity do the work. i used plumbers putty to make a water dam around the hole and went to town. keep the drill straight and dont rush and you should be fine. oh and get some ear plugs.

Archived