Cultivated Reef

Attitude toward keeping anemones changed in last several years?

Steve973

When I had a tank between 2003 and 2006, many people in the community frowned upon keeping anemones, particularly in nano tanks. Since I've returned recently, it seems like that attitude has changed or gone away. Are people having better success with keeping them in nanos more recently? Better lighting, better control of water parameters?

jedimasterben

When most people don't understand a subject (in this case anemones) then they will jump at the chance to say that it shouldn't be done. If you do your research and learn about them a bit you'll realize that it is not difficult to care for them so long as you aren't constantly changing things around. Hosting anemones don't really like change.

TheUnfocusedOne

Totally agree with ben.

People say the same thing about clams, but I've kept them in takes as small as 7.5g without any issue. Stability is key for reef health.

Mr. Microscope

I think back then, mostly LTA's and Cody's were available. Those are notorious for being touchy. Also, I believe the hadoni was more common which is certainly not suited to nanos. Nowadays, there's a lot more BTA's, maxis, and rock flower nems out there. All are fairly easy to keep in a nano.

..and yes, tech is also better.

Archived