Pod Your Reef

New clown acting weird

Smithjm5

Alright, so I picked up a new frostbite clown from my lfs this past weekend to replace my old occ clown that jumped the week before, he was the larger fish in the pair, and they are the only fish in the tank at the moment. The frostbite was in one of the lfs display tanks for about two weeks by himself seeming happy and active and they even fed him in front of me and he ate well. Now that I have him back in my tank he's gotten along great with the smaller occ clown and was nervous the first day but then started swimming around and exploring like normal. But, as of yesterday I noticed he has long stringy white feces and at night he would lay down on the sand bed. Well now he still has white stringy feces and he's laying down even more during the day too. The other clown is doing fine and I just did another water change a few days ago. I haven't checked the levels yet (getting ready to..) and i'll probably do another water change after that. I think it could be a parasite from what I've read already but I wanted everyone's opinion. Thanks, let me know if you need anymore info.

14436776884_d160c9f3a6_z.jpg

Prazipro couldn't hurt.

This is my first reef tank so sorry for the ignorance, how do you use it? Do you have to have the fish in a separate tank? Or do you just add it to the DT? Thanks.

This is my first reef tank so sorry for the ignorance, how do you use it? Do you have to have the fish in a separate tank? Or do you just add it to the DT? Thanks.

I just found the instructions sorry haha

Prazipro ftw, I have used it in the DT before without ill effects. Just some pissy mushroom corals.

I got some today, thanks!

So I though i'd give everyone an update on my frostbite clown. So I ordered Prazipro like you guys suggested, and it's been 6 days and 2 treatments later and I haven't seen the white stringy poop in the last two days so that's good...but he's laying down on the sand a lot still. I'd say he's laying down more than swimming around but when he's swimming around he acts normal, swims all around the tank with the smaller clown and when I feed him he eats like a pig so no problem there. So either I haven't figured out whats wrong ORR my clown is just a lazy ####er haha! Any more ideas would help. Thanks!

That's strange never heard of that before. How often does it lay down? And does it look like it's struggling to breathe or right itself when it's laying down?

That's strange never heard of that before. How often does it lay down? And does it look like it's struggling to breathe or right itself when it's laying down?

I couldn't tell you for sure how much he lays down but i'd say close to 50% of the time and doesn't seem to be breathing heavily, he was just swimming around fine a few minutes ago... And I retract the statement about not seeing any more white stringy poo... just saw it so maybe he isn't rid of the parasite yet?

snailflipper
I couldn't tell you for sure how much he lays down but i'd say close to 50% of the time and doesn't seem to be breathing heavily, he was just swimming around fine a few minutes ago... And I retract the statement about not seeing any more white stringy poo... just saw it so maybe he isn't rid of the parasite yet?

Oh noo.... I really hope he gets better.. You can't show me how cool he then let him die on us!

He probably has some internal parasites. You should probably pull him from the display and run some medication in a separate tank if you can. That's pretty much the only way to guarantee that he completely gets rid of whatever he has. Otherwise he could improve, look great for several months and then die once stressors re-emerge

He probably has some internal parasites. You should probably pull him from the display and run some medication in a separate tank if you can. That's pretty much the only way to guarantee that he completely gets rid of whatever he has. Otherwise he could improve, look great for several months and then die once stressors re-emerge

What would you recommend treating him with? I've been using Prazi pro but hasn't seemed to get any better over the week iv'e been treating.

Oh noo.... I really hope he gets better.. You can't show me how cool he then let him die on us!

Haha he's not dying on my watch! thanks tho!

Try metronidazole... there are a couple of different brands out there that has this as the main active ingredient. If you can, try and infuse any food you feed with garlic. I would also try and feed NLS Thera A+ pellets. Awesome staple food

My clowns pooped TONS of white poo during the prazi treatment, can't remember for how long though. They were basically pooping out the dead worms. Gross! I hope you can get him feeling better.

Try metronidazole... there are a couple of different brands out there that has this as the main active ingredient. If you can, try and infuse any food you feed with garlic. I would also try and feed NLS Thera A+ pellets. Awesome staple food

Thanks i'll definitely try and get all that tomorrow. i'm in the process of setting up a QT right now..

My clowns pooped TONS of white poo during the prazi treatment, can't remember for how long though. They were basically pooping out the dead worms. Gross! I hope you can get him feeling better.

Yea it is! thanks, me too. Also there is another clown in the tank with him that seems fine, should I treat him as well?

Thanks i'll definitely try and get all that tomorrow. i'm in the process of setting up a QT right now..

Yea it is! thanks, me too. Also there is another clown in the tank with him that seems fine, should I treat him as well?

I probably would.

Archived