Cultivated Reef

Urchins in nanos?

Prankster11

I have a red tuxedo Urchin in my 15 gallon nano for about a year. I great. It will pick up frags and carry them around sometimes. They can eat coraline algae but I have not noticed a difference in my tank. I really cool critter. I have 3 hemit crabs, a fire fish, and Green Clown Goby, soft and LPS corals.

blue tuxedo urchin

It is sitting on the middle rock in this picture.

post-70934-0-68398000-1402534391_thumb.jpg

ive had a purple pincushion for over a year in my original 10 gallon that eventually changed into a 20 gal and now a 50 gallon. he loves eating dried seaweed and is constantly picking shells up to cover himself

ive got 2 clowns, a lawnmower blenny, cleaner shrimp, scarlet hermits, soft, lps, sps corals

chrisinator

Would multiple urchins be a problem? I'm planning to add a tuxedo urchin and a pink cushion urchin in the same tank. Thanks!

Steensj2004

I have a pink tuxedo.... He is great. Glue down your frags though,lol, the take em everywhere. Mine need to be fed, he started to lose some spines and I figured it was because as starving. He will take everything I can give him.... He is a fatty. I use green seaweed sheets, I give home a quarter sized piece every day- every other day.post-79843-0-14163700-1402947148_thumb.jpg

vegasgundog

http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/endarro1/media/20140611_210806_zpsicc4bzva.jpg.html'>20140611_210806_zpsicc4bzva.jpg

Pincushion in my 29bc. Had a terrible time with dictyota algae and he's completely knocked it down. He's taking care of the byprosis too if I mow it down a little first , don't like the long stuff. At this rate I'll be having to feed him seaweed soon. He's also terrible about rearranging my tank, bee. Carrying this piece of gsp around for about 2 weeks now. Guess I'll let him keep it.

I had a long-spine urchin in my 29 gallon tank for a while. It really helped with algae, but it's probably not a permanent solution for that kind of urchin in that size tank. I had snails, LPS, SPS, zoanthids, hermits, clowns. Urchins are awesome!

Red Tuxedo here too. As with anything, multiples are ok as long as your params are stable and you give them enough food. Make sure you've waited long enough for everything to be stable before adding one. Other than that, you should be good.

chrisinator

I would say it really depends on the amount of algae you have present... if you have a ton all the time, then two in a 10G but I would say 1 should be plentiful.

Prankster11

I would say it really depends on the amount of algae you have present... if you have a ton all the time, then two in a 10G but I would say 1 should be plentiful.

What types of algae do they eat?

Archived