Pod Your Reef

Help With Levels...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

I have been having an issue with my levels, specifically PH being low, and the others being high.

Currently readings are:

PH- 7.8( has been lower, was riding around 7.68-7.7 until I brought it up slightly )

Nitrates- Barely readable

Phosphates- 0.0 ppm

Alk-13.1 dKH

Mag-1470 ppm

Calcium- 460ppm

Zoas and LPS are doing really well, full polyp extension daily and growing well. SPS on the other hand is suffering. Not all of the SPS is doing badly.... Only a few pieces are showing issues, specifically my Psamacora, Jedi Mind Trick Monti, one Acro, and one Milli. My Valida, Stag,Sunset Monti, and Monti Caps are doing well.

I am unsure what to do? The corals doing badly are keeping color, but you can see the texture of the skeleton, as if tissue is receding? You still see polyp extension on them, but they aren't doing well. Levels are high, but everything is stable...

Don't chase PH, but it's important to understand it. My nano tanks always had a low PH however my 45g has a high PH. Your levels are high - are they stable? Fluctuating Alk is a recipe for disaster, especially for SPS. You would do better with a far lower Alk that remains constant.

It's getting warm out, do you have your windows open? A buildup of C02 will lower PH.

Steensj2004

Don't chase PH, but it's important to understand it. My nano tanks always had a low PH however my 45g has a high PH. Your levels are high - are they stable? Fluctuating Alk is a recipe for disaster, especially for SPS. You would do better with a far lower Alk that remains constant.

It's getting warm out, do you have your windows open? A buildup of C02 will lower PH.

Windows are open right now, main sliding door is also open. Both returns are pointed towards the water surface to agitate the surface. I have no idea why alk is so high, unsure how to bring it down either.... Stuff seems to remain consistent.

Steensj2004

Tank age?

About 5 months.... All my levels are very consistent, but high according to Salifert tests. My SPS went to my LFS for safety until I get the levels under control. They immediately started doing better once in his tank.

Steensj2004

Another thing.... My PH stays low as heck... It rides around 7.7 all the time. I cannot keep it up. The returns are agitating the water surface, I'm running a skimmer... I have no idea what else to do?!

Ph is fine, alk is a problem. What salt are you using?

I actually doubt your test results, all three levels that high is damn near impossible.

Steensj2004
Ph is fine, alk is a problem. What salt are you using?I actually doubt your test results, all three levels that high is damn near impossible.

Retested today after several water changes to lower stuff out.

Alk- 10 dKH

Magnesium- 1470 ppm

Calcium- 460 ppm

Phosphates - non-existant

Nitrates- virtually not there, maybe 5

Salinity 1.024

Instant ocean reef crystals is the salt brand. I've tested this stuff 10x with Salifert test kits....

Steensj2004
That looks better :)

So even with PH that low I don't need to worry? Thought about running an airline for the skimmer intake to a window..... Not sure that'll work but the house is closed up all the time with the AC on... A lot of my SPS was relocated to the LFS owners personal tank to recover... Something was giving half of my SPS a horrible time....

Nano sapiens

While the pH is a bit low, that's not the big concern. It's rapid fluctuations that should be avoided while keeping parameters within certain ranges.

How do you supply Cal and Alk? Have you tried using Limewater (aka 'Kalkwasser')? If not, it would help to keep pH a bit higher.

Steensj2004

Would Kalk raise anything else? I considered buffer for the PH but most raise other stuff too... Normally Alk....I don't have a lot of room for other levels to go up. Acrually no room for others to go up...

Nano sapiens

How do you keep alk and cal up now? Kalkwasser can maintain alk and cal in the correct ratios just like 2-part (when used properly) or a calcium reactor.

Steensj2004

How do you keep alk and cal up now? Kalkwasser can maintain alk and cal in the correct ratios just like 2-part (when used properly) or a calcium reactor.

Honestly, I was doing bi-weekly water changes. Levels stayed stable with just water changes( surprisingly). I occasionally dose when needed but levels fluctuate very little if ever.My Ph has always been low. I suppose I could cut back on water changes and maintain levels with dosing. I will have to dose at some point as the corals grow and consume elements anyway.

Nano sapiens

Honestly, I was doing bi-weekly water changes. Levels stayed stable with just water changes( surprisingly). I occasionally dose when needed but levels fluctuate very little if ever.My Ph has always been low. I suppose I could cut back on water changes and maintain levels with dosing. I will have to dose at some point as the corals grow and consume elements anyway.

I would suspect that either you have a very low population of calcareous organisms and/or they aren't growing much. I have to dose constantly and my tank is over 50% 'Shrooms with no coralline on any of the aquarium sides

Steensj2004
Any form of carbon dosing?
no, no carbon dosing..

I would suspect that either you have a very low population of calcareous organisms and/or they aren't growing much. I have to dose constantly and my tank is over 50% 'Shrooms with no coralline on any of the aquarium sides

I I have coralline growing....? What exactly do you mean?
Nano sapiens

I have coralline growing....? What exactly do you mean?

Coralline algae use cal, alk & mag...as do stony corals.

Steensj2004

Right, I know that....I'm just not sure what you mean by that comment. I had plenty of sps and coraline growing... I did however change 4 gallons twice weekly... Never had an issue or need to dose reguarly. I test 3x a week normally....I've since stopped such large water changes( pita to match salinity, temp, etc perfectly 2x a week)..... After several small water changes, stuff seems to have leveled out, alk is way down too..

Nano sapiens

I see, you were replenishing with large WCs.

Smaller WCs/more often are a lot easier on the system/corals.

I see, you were replenishing with large WCs.

Smaller WCs/more often are a lot easier on the system/corals.

How big is this tank? Twice weekly 4 gallon changes isn't excessive unless it's a tiny nano.

16 gallon Nuvo, aprox 10 gallons water volume after rock and sand..

I'm about the same size with my PicO, maybe a gallon smaller. The first year I did weekly 3 gallon changes. Now I do biweekly 4 gallon changes. I don't run a skimmer. I dose aggressively.

Steensj2004

Tested just now again....

Calcium-400ppm

Magnesium-1300ppm

Alk/kH- 9.7 dKH

Nitrate- 5ppm

Phosphates-0ppm

PH- 7.8

Salinity- 1.024

Not sure I was reading these tests right.... Embarrassing. Apparently my levels may have been much different than what I was reading previously. Likely the cause of issues to begin with. Looks like I will have to dose more than I thought as well, but levels are much better and corals are looking great. I did have one Acan lose some tissue but that was from something taking a giant chunk outta a head....grrr. It seems fine and the damages head still is opening full extension, thank God. Thanks for all the help!

Steensj2004

For anyone that is interested my levels have stayed right on... I am needing to dose lightly every other day to keep them solid. Additionally my ph probe must be shot. It tests at 8.2 on two other PH testers... Going to order a lab grade soon. Everything is looking greats! Thanks for the help.

Archived