ReefCleaners.org

- NYR's Fusion 30L [First Tank] - [Testing Corals]

NYR

FTS 7/14/14

SFHkP5N.jpg?2

Original Post

Estimated Wet Time: We Wet!

Hello all,

Being a recent college graduate and having my financials in order I felt it was finally time to start up my first reef tank. After doing my homework and joining this community I feel I have all the resources I need to succeed. I don't have a single friend with a saltwater aquarium so all of my knowledge has come from the interwebs. That being said, I could end up being the worst reefer in the world! :D

Let's get to it!!

Picked up my IM Fusion 30L yesterday [6/12] sitting on an Aquatic Fundamentals 50/65 Gallon stand.

TVvH9he.jpg?2

and received my first shipment of equipment today [6/13].

-BRS 4 Stage Plus RO/DI
-Maxspect Razor 160w 16000k
-BRS Reef Saver Rock [28 Lbs]
-Red Sea Pro Salt
- [Thermometer, Refractometer, Red Sea Test kit for Ca, Alk, Mg]

Waiting on:
- Ecotech Mp10ES
- Cobalt Neo-therm 100w
-Caribsea Dry Aragonite Special Grade [30 lbs]
-Cad lights PLS-50 Skimmer
-Various Test Kits (none API)

Velcro'd a power strip to the inside of the stand for easy drip loops and cable management.

buPmLVJ.jpg?1

AND last but not least, a quick scape i mocked up that i kind of like. Thoughts?!

Thanks for peaking ;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gave the Rock a nice RO/DI bath. Since its the reef saver rock it doesn't need to be cured. I gave it a dip in RO/DI water to get some dust out. Did not use tap water because I didn't want to chance algae problems down the road.

Started up my leak test, water will be emptied by tomorrow whether it passed or fails fingerscrossed

Everything should be dried out by the time the rest of the equipment arrives on Wednesday.

Did you find that a quick RO/DI dip did the trick? Or did you give it a powerhead bath in a 5 gallon bucket for a day? I got the same rock in the other day.

A good amount of dust came off from just dipping. I was only able to fit half the rock into one bucket and figured using a powerhead would just circulate the dust around the rocks im trying to clean.

Maybe ill give them another dip today to see if any more comes off

Washed the sand out and got the Rock/Sand in the tank. Looks like I may be able to fill it earlier than Sunday.

GUhZTAq.jpg?1

The rest of the equipment came in as well. Now I just have to make a bunch of water and get it in the tank.

Cool scape Ranger. A lot of good looking rock formations yet still enough negative space for viewing and for the little fishees to swim in.

GET IT WET !!!!!!!

Cool scape Ranger. A lot of good looking rock formations yet still enough negative space for viewing and for the little fishees to swim in.

GET IT WET !!!!!!!

I actually had 2 extra pieces that couldn't fit, but I am happy with it. Should be completely wet by the end of the night!

Wheee! Great start. Nice choices on equipment. I can tell you did your research :)

Thanks! Figured it would be less expensive in the long run to not have to upgrade over time :P

Nice, I like the scape!

Thanks man, i tried to have some front facing rocks for coral placement. Time will tell!

Mixed my water up last night and started the cycle. I dosed Ammonia along with Dr Tims one and only. I'm not sure if the Ammonia did anything, so i put a piece of raw fish in there. The ammonia test i'm using is Seachem and I hated it, the test revealed dark brown on the scale below. So i bought salifert and api (yes i know) ammonia kits to cross reference.

Waiting game from here on out.

Closest thing to dark brown on this scale is 0.1 and I need it to be 3.0ppm which is why i threw the piece of raw fish in.

Im9EpN2.jpg?1

bFMTcle.jpg?1

What are you using when you say you're 'dosing ammonia'? If you're dosing ammonia you shouldn't need to drop raw fish in, because dosing ammonia should bring your ammonia levels accurately to whatever number you want.

I've always used ammonia from Ace Hardware. It's for janitors to clean with, 10% pure, and has no additives. Some people have luck ging ammonia at the grocery store, but I never have. And a simple ammonia calculator helps you get to the level of ammonia you want. I use this one: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

I personally don't do the raw fish way simply because I like the accuracy and control of simply adding pure ammonia :)

What are you using when you say you're 'dosing ammonia'? If you're dosing ammonia you shouldn't need to drop raw fish in, because dosing ammonia should bring your ammonia levels accurately to whatever number you want.

I've always used ammonia from Ace Hardware. It's for janitors to clean with, 10% pure, and has no additives. Some people have luck ging ammonia at the grocery store, but I never have. And a simple ammonia calculator helps you get to the level of ammonia you want. I use this one: http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm'>http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

I personally don't do the raw fish way simply because I like the accuracy and control of simply adding pure ammonia :)

Its Dr Tims ammonia. I dosed it as instructee on the label, and the reading on the seachem test kit came to a color not even on the card. So i have new test kits coming in. Figured id throw the raw fish in there so i know there is ammonia feeding the dr tims since i couldnt get a reading on the dr tims ammonia.

Its either the ammonia or the test kit

Go to Dr Tims aquatics website.

Scroll down to the video choices and just below the 4 suggested videos there is a tab "watch more of Dr Tims videos".

Choose the video "HOW TO FISHLESS CYCLE EASILY AND QUICKLY" When yo click on it it will give you a video about the problems people have do it (featuring Dr Tim.)

It will answer all of your questions. DO THIS NOW BEFORE ADDING ANY MORE AMMONIA.

Gotta run for now.....AVIATOR300

Day 3: Ammonia reading between 0.25 and 0.5, but more towards the lower end. Not sure how long it takes for ammonia to spike higher using the shrimp/raw fish method.

Anyone have a date range?

Edit: Salifert test from today and below seachem test [which came up dark brown the other day]

agMTdUP.jpg?1

9QiF1Bh.jpg?1

API Ammonia came out around 5-6?

Salifert Ammonia looks more like 1.5.

Nitrites reading around 1ppm, nitrates (not shown) read 50ppm.

API Ammonia:

IBM4W9E.jpg?2

Salifert Ammonia:

3DrzMWg.jpg?1

Salifert Nitrite:

zWPpFJI.jpg?2

Awesome scape. But even better avatar! Too bad the refs enjoy scr****g us out of a cup.

You really couldn't even make those calls up, such a joke!

Yea man. But after countless years of bleeding blue you grow used to it lol. On a side note you see cally got his 6 year deal with Tampa

Yea man. But after countless years of bleeding blue you grow used to it lol. On a side note you see cally got his 6 year deal with Tampa

Yep, but he might still be bleeding blue if the rangers agreed to a "no trade" clause.

Archived