Top Shelf Aquatics

is there such a thing as a minor dinoflagate outbreak?

vegasgundog

vegasgundog

Well if it's not one thing it's another. I just got caught up on jedibens thread and I realy feel terrible for him. And then I began to look at my tank and see what I believe to be dinos. I've been fighting them for a while and never realy put 2 and 2 together especially since my battle has been terrible with both dictyota macro algae and byprosis. But I'm on top of those now with manual removal, peroxide and pincushion urchin. I really noticed it when I added a frag rack for my birds nest fragging I've been doing. Long brown webs suddenly with bubbles appear on the white plastic. I noticed some an the tops of my birds nest colony. Both places if either blown it off of sucked larger strands out. I associated bubbles in the byprosis to byprosis. I run Chem pure elite and purigen in the media basket and a UV on the return pump. I have no loss of livestock yet but I lost several acans I believe was alkalinity swings from the birds nest. I have been doing weekly 10g water changes trying to help in the algae fight. I have never seen a huge mass of these brown strings so I'm crossing my fingers. And there in is another problem, I had carpal tunnel surgery on Tuesday, so I'll be out of commission for hard core maintenance at least until wounds heal.

vegasgundog

Starting second day of semi blackout. I unplugged lights yesterday in the morning. I didn't wrap anything around the tank. Afraid to try full blackout with my new rock flower anemone, but this am I saw far fewer Dino strings on my frag rack. Keeping fingers crossed.

vegasgundog

None up close. I just recently put it all together in my mind, whether I'm panicking from Google telling me about all these tank crashes from dinos and there association with red tide in nature or kill it quick I can only guess. Brown slimy strings with bubbles is the most I've seen so far.

vegasgundog

Over the weekend I did a modified blackout, not wrapping the tank except the sides. It appears this may have worked.

Archived