ReefCleaners.org

WC every week or every other week?

linbeg

I have a 75 gallon tank with 10 gallons of sater in my sump. Quick question, which one is better for stability and effectiveness, 5 gallon wc every week or 10 gallons wc every 2 weeks?

kriskristofferzen

I've got about the same as you. I change about 10-15% every week and once monthly or bi-monthly completely drain the sump to get out the detritus and do more like a 20-25% change (approximate). Stirring the sand and turkey basting the rocks gets all the gunk into the overflow and to a filter sock in a settling chamber. When I drain the sump it allows me to get all the extra nasties that I can't seem to skim or turkey baste or completely get out of the settling chamber in the sump. Overkill, maybe, but my params are great, I overfeed, and and tank is likely overstocked. I like the weekly approach, then again...

Randy Holmes spoke of reducing for instance nitrates through water changes and how smaller water changes compare to a larger water change. Interesting article to extrapolate info from. As he mentions it depends on what your goals of the water are:

Decrease Pollutants/Organics etc? Increase elements for corals/inverts? Correct overdoses? Maintain Kalk/Alk (not effective unless for extremely small pico as Randy mentions, but may help) etc….

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/rhf/

Archived