Coral Vue Hydros

Super Duper Awesome 25

snailflipper

reefinnewb

Tank looks great. I've been out of it for a few years and finally conviced the wife to get another tank. You actually are doing exactly what i'm doing equipment wise. How do you like the Jaebo powerhead? What model did you get?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snailflipper

Tank looks great. I've been out of it for a few years and finally conviced the wife to get another tank. You actually are doing exactly what i'm doing equipment wise. How do you like the Jaebo powerhead? What model did you get?

Thank you! Sorry it has taken so long to reply. To answer your question though I love it. I got the wp-10 and its doing everything that I was hoping it would do. Only if it could get rid of my ich problem too that would be great! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

How are the clowns doing?

Sorry it has taken this long to respond. Life has definitely gotten in the way the past few months. I unfortunately lost the clowns probably about a day or two after you posted.

Since the Ich incident my life continued to be unlucky. We had a small house fire in our laundry room that destroyed that room and sent smoke damage throughout the house. I had used an automotive cleaner on a rag then threw that used rag into the clothes hamper. From there the rag spontaneously combusted which in turn caused the fire. The room the fish tank was in was right above the laundry room. The soot damaged quickly took out my two shrimp along with my monti. While we relocated to another home I had my tank babysat by a local fish store staff member at his personal home. He unfortunately did not take care of it and when I went to go pick it up after two months algae had consumed it. Awkwardly, I got my tank packed up as quickly as I could and got out of there. Once I moved it back into our home I pretty much neglected it for another month. Thankfully I kept it topped off and had done some infrequent water changes that allowed the rest of my corals to survive. Now after three months of inactivity I have finally began to rebuild my livestock and push towards the tank I have always wanted. For those of you who read through all of this bravo and here are some pictures!

Pictures of fire...

EF51BA44-AC15-4A66-85FE-6B5B160386BB_zps

A58DDE33-C49C-4BC2-8AE3-C5F9F2E8D8AE_zps

65E5107B-A11F-423E-8A70-0CCBAD1B0763_zps

Damn.

Sorry about that fire!

The tank is looking good in those last pictures though! So good work bringing it back to life.

Thanks!

I do have a question though for the experts out there. Ever since the fire my corals have become somewhat duller (if thats a word). My galaxia is still alive but it doesn't have the pop it use to. Is this permanent or what? I tried researching but there isn't much information out there with coral damage caused by soot... go figures

oh man, what a disaster but glad to hear my nearby state neighbors were ok. I've noticed after I burn a candle in the room there will be residue on the tank which I have to remove w/ paper towel, could be something like that to which they're responding to. Don't know.

Wow, sucks about the fire but the main things is that your family is okay. Glad to see you're still here in this addicting hobby.

Thanks!

I do have a question though for the experts out there. Ever since the fire my corals have become somewhat duller (if thats a word). My galaxia is still alive but it doesn't have the pop it use to. Is this permanent or what? I tried researching but there isn't much information out there with coral damage caused by soot... go figures

It's probably due to stress from the fire + bad tank sitter. As long your tank parameters is good and stable, it'll color up.

Man sorry to hear about the fire that's ruff, glad to see you back on track though hope everything goes smooth from here!
thanks! How's your tank been doing? It's been awhile since roaming through the forum.

oh man, what a disaster but glad to hear my nearby state neighbors were ok. I've noticed after I burn a candle in the room there will be residue on the tank which I have to remove w/ paper towel, could be something like that to which they're responding to. Don't know.
Yeah idk what's been going on. Hopefully they'll pop back though!

Wow, sucks about the fire but the main things is that your family is okay. Glad to see you're still here in this addicting hobby. It's probably due to stress from the fire + bad tank sitter. As long your tank parameters is good and stable, it'll color up.
Thank you! Yeah I'm glad I'm back in it. That's what I'm thinking too. They just have been through a lot recently. I actually kept my red monti til this week just in hopes of it bouncing back but it just wasn't showing any signs.

It's still running haha, I haven't really added much just kind of maintaining it, but I have plans to upgrade to something sweet in the coming months B)

• 1 month later...

New pictures since last update:

FTS

DSC_0985_zpsf109aacb.jpg

Side Shot

DSC_0987_zps03f6977f.jpg

Ric Starting to split slowly!

DSC_0014_zps696447fc.jpg

New Birdsnest and monti

DSC_0016_zps83ee8beb.jpg

More Pics

DSC_1007_zps08cb420e.jpg

DSC_0037_zpse5d14fd5.jpg

Nice tank! Sucks all you've been through to get a good reef tank going. I like the scape, simple and probably easy to maintain because it reduces dead spots.

I like your coral placement, esp. the monti cap and the birdsnest!

I also like the 3 fish you have in there... Seems to be a good amount of fish for this size tank, plus they have a little room to grow.

Really clean look, I like it!
Thanks you! I Definitely find myself looking at the tank a lot more.

nice corals, they already look awesome in there.
Thanks. Now it's time for them to start growing in. Already expecting heavy calcium consumption by those two fat sps's.

What a nightmare, but it looks like you've bounced back better than before! I really like your scape it's really balanced with the size of your tank.

I'll be following along forsure.

Nice tank! Sucks all you've been through to get a good reef tank going. I like the scape, simple and probably easy to maintain because it reduces dead spots. I like your coral placement, esp. the monti cap and the birdsnest! I also like the 3 fish you have in there... Seems to be a good amount of fish for this size tank, plus they have a little room to grow.
Yeah it definitely has been a journey. I appreciate it. I'm actually shooting to have four fish in there. Nothing majorly big but I need to get some yellow in there. Took a risk with a lemonpeel last week but as you can tell he's gone. I figured it was worth a shot though.

What a nightmare, but it looks like you've bounced back better than before! I really like your scape it's really balanced with the size of your tank.I'll be following along forsure.
Yeah it definitely was a low point in my life but it could've been a lot worse. Thanks though!

:o sorry to hear about your house fire and all the bad luck you were having.

Looks like you got the tank back in order though, looks good.

:o sorry to hear about your house fire and all the bad luck you were having.

Looks like you got the tank back in order though, looks good.

Thank you!

Yeah it definitely has been a journey. I appreciate it. I'm actually shooting to have four fish in there. Nothing majorly big but I need to get some yellow in there. Took a risk with a lemonpeel last week but as you can tell he's gone. I figured it was worth a shot though.

I've pretty much given up on angelfish... Since most of them are wild caught they Always come in with some nasties. I had a coral beauty that had massive parasites. I forgot exactly what happened but I think I used the wrong treatment (noob I was then). Then if I recall an Eibli. I made the huge mistake not to QT since it looked so healthy at the LFS. It was also harboring massive parasites.

I've pretty much given up on angelfish... Since most of them are wild caught they Always come in with some nasties. I had a coral beauty that had massive parasites. I forgot exactly what happened but I think I used the wrong treatment (noob I was then). Then if I recall an Eibli. I made the huge mistake not to QT since it looked so healthy at the LFS. It was also harboring massive parasites.

Thankfully mine was healthy but it had an appetite for all my corals. I knew going in that I'd have a 50/50 shot with it so I wasn't too surprised by its bad habit. They're just so beautiful. What happened with the rest of the tank though? Did they get infected as well?

Archived