Coral Vue Hydros

Requality's ADA 7.5g Cube | Kessil A350W

Requality

Oh wow, I didn't even consider Kessil up until this point. I've seen it in stores and the lighting looks beautiful. This just moved it to one of my top choices!

No problem. I just thought I shared my personal opinion because having to go through multiple fixtures in my past....I wished I had only gone with the kessil. I started out with nano cube 24 with compact lights, then upgraded to a picO tank with kessil 10k sky blue( it grew my corals very well...but I kinda lost interests in the reef because they weren't eye candy popping enough under natural looking lights), took a break from the hobby, then I got back again into an ada tank with ai nano sol, light was ok but corals weren't....then I upgraded the light to a buildmyled, light was good for lps but it was too purple from the custom combination I chose, then I thought, wait the kessils a150w grew my corals very darn well, and it's really affordable, and they have actinic version(a150w deep ocean blue 20k) for those eye candy pop colors on them corals, and I recall seeing the ocean blue 15k being really blue already but I didn't think I would think it not being blue enough when I received it in person...so yeah, it's pretty blue but not blue enough to my likes, so I should've went with the 20k deep ocean blue...oh well, if I get sick of the 15k later on, I'll order the 20k to replace it and sell the 15k. That's the plan now.

digging the light fixture!

Thanks man.

Alright! Kessil it is. I found an awesome deal for a Kessil 350w, but I feel like it would be crazy overkill for such a small tank? There is always an option of running it at a very very low dimmage (25%ish).

I wouldn't get the kessil 350w for your tank....it's way overkill and you can easily melt down your corals imo....kessil a150w is a good light, don't need to adjust it other than its height off from the tank's surface, you wouldn't want to put it too close to your top because it can be too strong for your corals, make sure there's like 12" off from your water surface especially for your tall cube. And make sure at least you get 15k or bluer....don't get the 10k lol...lol...

Lulu saying kessil grows coral faster than any other light on the market is kinda crazy.

They are good lights, but come on man. Any well built, full spectrum light will grow coral. A lot more than good light is needed to have stunning corals.

If we want to talk about growth. Nothing is better than halide supplemented by t5.

You're right. I am a kessil fanboy so I would say such a thing lol. And you're so true that halide and t5's are the best combination for coral growth but I think these people are not looking for bulb exchange/replacements all the time. That's why I never went with the halides/t-5's, I just think bulb replacements would be a hassle..I'm a led guy as you can tell lol.

No problem. I just thought I shared my personal opinion because having to go through multiple fixtures in my past....I wished I had only gone with the kessil. I started out with nano cube 24 with compact lights, then upgraded to a picO tank with kessil 10k sky blue( it grew my corals very well...but I kinda lost interests in the reef because they weren't eye candy popping enough under natural looking lights), took a break from the hobby, then I got back again into an ada tank with ai nano sol, light was ok but corals weren't....then I upgraded the light to a buildmyled, light was good for lps but it was too purple from the custom combination I chose, then I thought, wait the kessils a150w grew my corals very darn well, and it's really affordable, and they have actinic version(a150w deep ocean blue 20k) for those eye candy pop colors on them corals, and I recall seeing the ocean blue 15k being really blue already but I didn't think I would think it not being blue enough when I received it in person...so yeah, it's pretty blue but not blue enough to my likes, so I should've went with the 20k deep ocean blue...oh well, if I get sick of the 15k later on, I'll order the 20k to replace it and sell the 15k. That's the plan now.

Thanks man.

I wouldn't get the kessil 350w for your tank....it's way overkill and you can easily melt down your corals imo....kessil a150w is a good light, don't need to adjust it other than its height off from the tank's surface, you wouldn't want to put it too close to your top because it can be too strong for your corals, make sure there's like 12" off from your water surface especially for your tall cube. And make sure at least you get 15k or bluer....don't get the 10k lol...lol...

You're right. I am a kessil fanboy so I would say such a thing lol. And you're so true that halide and t5's are the best combination for coral growth but I think these people are not looking for bulb exchange/replacements all the time. That's why I never went with the halides/t-5's, I just think bulb replacements would be a hassle..I'm a led guy as you can tell lol.

If you wanna sell your 15k, you got a buyer right here. The 20k is a tad too blue for my taste and my reasoning for the A350w was that It was dimmable so I wouldn't have to adjust it up and down. You can also change the spectrum so you can find that perfect match of blue and white lights. Plus when they're about the same price its hard to argue aha, but I'll keep looking!

I'm definitely a fan of minimalistic designed products that really adds depth and beauty to the tanks. You get what you pay for.

If you wanna sell your 15k, you got a buyer right here. The 20k is a tad too blue for my taste and my reasoning for the A350w was that It was dimmable so I wouldn't have to adjust it up and down. You can also change the spectrum so you can find that perfect match of blue and white lights. Plus when they're about the same price its hard to argue aha, but I'll keep looking!

I'm definitely a fan of minimalistic designed products that really adds depth and beauty to the tanks. You get what you pay for.

Yeah I know what you mean. But I think I'll just stick with the 15k for a while and see... you can get the a350w for the same price as the 150w??? How so man? lolol, that is a crazy deal if you're speaking of new.

I am a minimalist...lolol. Own less than a 100 items. And only a few of those items are personal belongings/hobby related..

Yeah I know what you mean. But I think I'll just stick with the 15k for a while and see... you can get the a350w for the same price as the 150w??? How so man? lolol, that is a crazy deal if you're speaking of new.

I am a minimalist...lolol. Own less than a 100 items. And only a few of those items are personal belongings/hobby related..

Yeah LOL. I found an awesome deal for a brand new a350w brand new for $220. I'm in a bidder war right now for a A150 for about $130 so we'll see how that goes.

Thats awesome! Im 17 so I can't really possibly own that many possessions but I come from a design background so I've always had a knack for colors and shape. Here are some of my designs and its easy to see that I like bright colors, minimal designs, and unique shapes.

http://i.imgur.com/46PtnGT.png

http://i.imgur.com/VCAnR4R.png

http://i.imgur.com/IfnOkO6.jpg

Yeah LOL. I found an awesome deal for a brand new a350w brand new for $220. I'm in a bidder war right now for a A150 for about $130 so we'll see how that goes.

Thats awesome! Im 17 so I can't really possibly own that many possessions but I come from a design background so I've always had a knack for colors and shape. Here are some of my designs and its easy to see that I like bright colors, minimal designs, and unique shapes.

http://i.imgur.com/46PtnGT.png

http://i.imgur.com/VCAnR4R.png

http://i.imgur.com/IfnOkO6.jpg

Great deals man, hope you win either one.

That is some awesome designs man! I'm really digging the last one. 17 only? You're at a head start man haha. I'll post pics of my minimalist lifestyle soon on my thread in case you're interested in what it's like. It took me about a year to get down from 400-500 items to less than 100 items lolol. I had to do alot of donating, selling, recycling and throwing....ahha. But definitely a worthy experience ahah. 1 wouldn't know unless he or she tries it.

Great deals man, hope you win either one.

That is some awesome designs man! I'm really digging the last one. 17 only? You're at a head start man haha. I'll post pics of my minimalist lifestyle soon on my thread in case you're interested in what it's like. It took me about a year to get down from 400-500 items to less than 100 items lolol. I had to do alot of donating, selling, recycling and throwing....ahha. But definitely a worthy experience ahah. 1 wouldn't know unless he or she tries it.

Aha thanks man! I've been designing since like 6th grade so its been awhile. That on top of my love for chemistry makes aquariums a perfect hobby.

And you sound you're really enjoying that lifestyle. Its nice not to have a clutter of things.

Aha thanks man! I've been designing since like 6th grade so its been awhile. That on top of my love for chemistry makes aquariums a perfect hobby.

And you sound you're really enjoying that lifestyle. Its nice not to have a clutter of things.

Thanks man. 6th grade is way too early!! Haha, and you're right, I am loving the minimalist lifetsyle.

Kessil A350w just came in! Its beautiful over this tank!

Pko6Vxi.jpg

It is currently haning about 2 - 3 inches above the tank. No light is bleeding through and its looking beautiful! And wow is it bright! Currently running about 30% white, 15% blue.
gvFtYzz.jpg

At least you know you can use it over a larger tank should you expand later. I have mine on my 34g.which is "30L x 18W x 16H and it's 8.5" from the top of the aquarium and I run 100% blues and then 50-75% whites, otherwise it's too bright for the mushrooms or rock flowers.

Spiderguardnano

And i thought my kessil a150 was a over kill over my 7.5g

you should look up 1stimereefers diy kessil light holder makes a way sleeker look

are these just iPhone picks?

At least you know you can use it over a larger tank should you expand later. I have mine on my 34g.which is "30L x 18W x 16H and it's 8.5" from the top of the aquarium and I run 100% blues and then 50-75% whites, otherwise it's too bright for the mushrooms or rock flowers.

Yeah, I'm really happy with that fact, since I would like to upgrade to a bigger cube sometime within the next few years. Unfortunately I can only have a ~10g tank in the dorms so thats why I went with the 7.5g. I'll see how high I can acclimate my corals with this light. I'm aiming for 40%~.

And i thought my kessil a150 was a over kill over my 7.5g

you should look up 1stimereefers diy kessil light holder makes a way sleeker look

are these just iPhone picks?

Ahaha, the dimming capabilities works wonders! I've seen their diy holder and Its really nice! Unfortunately I have to move this tank in about 3 months, so I'm shy to do anything that requires drilling.

And yes, these are just regulary iPhone pics. I'm planning to pick up a macro lense latter when the corals start coming in.

Yeah, I'm really happy with that fact, since I would like to upgrade to a bigger cube sometime within the next few years. Unfortunately I can only have a ~10g tank in the dorms so thats why I went with the 7.5g. I'll see how high I can acclimate my corals with this light. I'm aiming for 40%~.

Ahaha, the dimming capabilities works wonders! I've seen their diy holder and Its really nice! Unfortunately I have to move this tank in about 3 months, so I'm shy to do anything that requires drilling.

And yes, these are just regulary iPhone pics. I'm planning to pick up a macro lense latter when the corals start coming in.

No drilling involved actually, I just used the screw holder you screw in and then it pops open on the other side and locks it in. Then you put the screw like usual through the iron and done.

Nickbruh510

bro! i love my kessil 350w over my 15 gallon rimless cube and i can def say that my sps have good color and great growth and my zoas have been popping a new head every week or two weeks now i swear!!! and after goingt hru so many light options i must say i wil never go without a kessil and a vortech combo EVER!! imho this combo of a mp-10 and kessil is the best combo for beginners as they are two things newbs dont have to worry about but thats just me

btw what are your stocking plans?

No drilling involved actually, I just used the screw holder you screw in and then it pops open on the other side and locks it in. Then you put the screw like usual through the iron and done.

Oh really? Well now I may have to reconsider.

bro! i love my kessil 350w over my 15 gallon rimless cube and i can def say that my sps have good color and great growth and my zoas have been popping a new head every week or two weeks now i swear!!! and after goingt hru so many light options i must say i wil never go without a kessil and a vortech combo EVER!! imho this combo of a mp-10 and kessil is the best combo for beginners as they are two things newbs dont have to worry about but thats just me

btw what are your stocking plans?

Totally! The a350w is perfect! I've heard nothing but great things about its performance and I love that I can change the spectrum without it being too complex. I've been wanting a vortech since I first started aquariums, but I just haven't had the guts to drop $200+ on a pump when I have a perfectly good Korelia. One day though...

So I'm planning to either have a Goby/Shrimp combo or a Clownfish. I haven't really decided yet on the fish since corals are my main objective. As for the coral part, Its going to be mostly a zoa garden, with a few acans and maybe a birdnest at the top.

Nickbruh510

sounds like a great stocking plan imo, i had a goby and pistol shrimp combo i woukd go candy cane pistol and i would also go with a yasha goby as its a small tank so the livestock should be nice!!!!!!!! and yes zoa garden is amaze!!! i love zoas they are awesome and super easy to care for i will be following!

sounds like a great stocking plan imo, i had a goby and pistol shrimp combo i woukd go candy cane pistol and i would also go with a yasha goby as its a small tank so the livestock should be nice!!!!!!!! and yes zoa garden is amaze!!! i love zoas they are awesome and super easy to care for i will be following!

Yeah! I love how the bond they share together, and how even in human tanks it still shows! I know a few local reefers in this area and oooh when this tank is cycled, its go time.

Hazzah! June 23rd, 2014 Update!

Plopped these two in a few days ago, and they're just the loveliest pair of Clownfish ever! They always swim together and wigggle everywhere. And they eat pellets!
J6wo24t.jpg

Got a nice little mini colony of this unknown zoa and its already grown 2 polyps! This is so exciting.
DHvRlz5.jpg

Lastly, my current pride&joy of the week. I believe these are Lunar Zoas and the bright orange glow on that one polyp is beautiful. I wonder when this thing will take off.
IbyjsbX.jpg

do you dip your corals?

No, I've only inspected them. These were from a reputable dealer so I thought it would be ok. Should I just dip all my new corals just in case?

Spiderguardnano

No, I've only inspected them. These were from a reputable dealer so I thought it would be ok. Should I just dip all my new corals just in case?

Im not taking any chances and dipping all my corals

For all my new corals i am standing by this line

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

i will be using coral rx

heres why

Im not taking any chances and dipping all my corals

For all my new corals i am standing by this line

"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

i will be using coral rx

heres why

That was literally disgusting aha. I'm convinced... Next time I go buy some corals, I'll pick up a bottle of CoralRX as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Got some more corals! Who excited? I am. C:

Got this beautiful yuma that literally glows yellow and green. This picture does it no justice at all.
FnsIirX.jpg

Also got this pretty yellow bubbly mushroom. Crossing my fingers it takes over one of my rocks aha.
0pdsVBK.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Damn,a 350 on this tank ? That's crazy. How's everything going so far ?

Tank looks awesome though,keep it up :)

Archived