ReefCleaners.org

Purigen-like product with a larger bead size?

BulkRate

I've been running a modified Eheim aquastyle corner filter unit in my 9 gallon aquarium pretty much from the get-go a couple years ago. The addition of a couple sheets of mesh cut from "The Bag" in the removable filter box allows the little unit to run pretty much any media you can put in it... but it also appears to seriously impede the flow of water (already a sedate ~45 ghp).

The mix of chemical filtration to date has been ~3 tablespoons of media: 1/4 purigen, 1/2 matrix carbon and 1/4 seagel. the latter two are easy to contain and I could easily switch to a slightly higher micron mesh size without them blowing loose through the return but the 1st one... not so much.

Any suggestions for a replacement, or is indeed Purigen "a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product"? ;)

NaturalViolence

Purigen is essentially a synthetic replacement for activated carbon. Since it's made of a polymer whose shape (particularly the pore network structure) can be very precisely manufactured it can be better optimzied than activated carbon for removing nitrogen based waste. Meaning higher absorbtion capacity, faster absorbtion rate, lower saturation point, and it's more selective in what it removes. However it does in effect do the same thing that activated carbon does. It's just better at it. Seachem offers two other polymer based activated carbon alternatives. Renew and hypersorb. I don't know the grain sizes for each of them since they aren't listed in the data sheets but I believe they are all very small beads like purigen. Thus your only real alternative is activated carbon.

can you only fit 3 tablespoons of media in the filter? if not try a 1/2 size bag of chemi pure blue. i believe it's activated carbon and a purigen type product mixed.

NaturalViolence

i believe it's activated carbon and a purigen type product mixed.

Nope. It's activated carbon and an ion exchange resin. No synthetic absorbents.

Yeah, the filter only holds 3... maybe more like 4 tablespoons. The problem is that the chamber's pretty narrow - not a lot of room to fold a media bag over and over on itself.

It's actually been working pretty well up to date... but it would be nice to make the swapouts easier.

Archived