inTank Media Baskets

quick water change question

Mota

Hi, just wondering when you do a 100% water change, do you drain your tank completely, or at least get as much water out as you can, then fill it back up? Or do you take out water, then add some, and repeat until you take out what would equal to your tank's capacity?

ive never done 100% water change, that would only be usefull in extreme emergencies, but either method would work, just make sure not to injure any coral or livestock

well before you do a 100% water change, find out why you have nitrates and such, so what are your parameters and go from there

Ammonia and nitrites are all 0. It's just those nitrates the won't go down. I'm thinking I got detritus build up. It's why I am thinking of a 100% water change so I can clean detritus off my rocks and in the back chambers of my tank. I had a 4 gallon CAD, by the way.

I'm also thinking it could be my bioload. I only have a skunk cleaner shrimp but I got a lot if extra snails from reef cleaners. Even though they are small, I'm sure they still have a bioload and in a tank this small, it could have an effect.

well nitrates will build up in most systems unless you have something to eat it or denitrification going on, what is the nitrate level? plus ive had a pistol shrimp in a 2 gallon stuffed with coral and had low nitrates, how much and how often do you feed?

Archived