SaltCritters.com

Please Delete

ChickenoftheC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's light and hollow, it's just a molt. But if it's meaty, then it's a dead crab. Crabs are hardy, so my bet is on a molt.

• 2 weeks later...

Note to self. "Move to Australia". That live rock is premium stuff you already have a full blown reef. How are the fish stores down under? In my dreams I imagine wall to wall showpiece corals for 5 dollars.

Its $18.50kg premium live rock. Its just crawling with all sorts of life and colour. Im not sure on coral prices but the lfs really arnt anything spectacular. Ive not seen others from around the world though so they are normal to me. About 2 walls of tanks of coral is standard. Not stacked tanks though just single.

Wow - with all that action on the live rock, I wouldn't need to add anything else in the tank !

Reef Hollister

I wouldn't add anything else. I would just see what is going to grow out of that rock. It is amazing. Good rock in the US has the color and maybe just one of the many hitchikers you have. Just take care of it and you will be seeing new things for awhile. Count yourself among the lucky reefers.

I'm a couple hours from Perth, thats a bit strange but I know some of the LFS don't get shipments in here often from that side because they say the freight costs to much, wonder if thats why

So kind of you to take in that poor sun coral!!

I hope it does well, definitely keep updating on his progress!

I want one of them but am worried about taking care of it...

But saying that I am only new to this so it may die yet.

Well - it's certainly is no worse off than where it was.. and you learn something from it either way.

Holy shiz. That rock is insane. I hate worms, and until I saw the last pics I was second guessing my dry rock only policy. I am good waiting for purple if it means avoiding the worms though :). Really cool start. I'm following along for this one.

That may be a Bobbit/Eunice Worm, they have a nasty bite.

TL:DR KILL IT WITH MOTHA FUKING FIRRRREEEE!

Also, I like the scape after you tore the tank apart lol, looks cool.

Helpful Tips for Controlling Unwanted Pests:

Submerse the new rock into a bucket filled with saltwater with a specific gravity of 1.035 to 1.040 for one minute. Any invertebrates including mantis shrimp, bristle worms, and crabs will quickly evacuate from the rock and into the bucket of water.

Remove the live rock from the bucket and sort through the invertebrates in the bucket. Determine those you want to add to your system and discard unwanted pests. Bristle worms still attached to the rock can be removed with a pair of needle-nosed pliers or tweezers. This technique can be used to remove unwanted pests before or after curing your newly arrived live rock.

Source: http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=209

• 2 weeks later...
While we were at the lfs yesterday we got 2 new gonis, 1 yellow and 1 reddish/pink.
They can be on the more difficult side to keep long term. They often appear fine for months, then deteriorate quickly. I hope that yours do well.

I am so jealous of your LR! Tank is looking great, although you traumatised me with that worm picture. I am sure we have the same worm in our tank and like an idiot I refuse to go near its cave with my hands.

Your rock is awesome, your tank is lovely and your enthusiasm is contagious! Can't wait to see how this grows in!

Archived