Coral Vue Hydros

Please Delete

ChickenoftheC

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eunicid worm, I think.. They are predators, maybe they eat feesh I never had one so I dont know the details. Try a doing a search on them and see if it matches.

Thanks everybody for the welcomes! Completely curious why the curved glass scares you dcmix5? Have I missed some incredibly scary post about someone's tank busting open? Lol

On a positive its up and not leaking! Threw in my salt water a day or 2 agoand put in my rock and sand today. There were some awesome little green zoas on a piece im hoping they make it through the next few weeks. Is there anything special i could do during it cycling to try and keep any little coral alive? I saw a thread saying to throw in a piece of raw shrimp to kick start things cycling. Good idea to do so or no? Not sure what im going to put in just yet so feel free to inspire me! But I am very partial to my zoas

But anyway here is a pic of the cloudy mess right now. Oh and what the heck is this worm thing? Yep I chucked it in the tank. Have I just given my tank a deathly case of nasty worms?

Curved glass just distorts the view and makes taking pictures more challenging. There is nothing inherently unsafe about it. I started with a bow front tank and it never bothered me.

Definitely don't add a dead (or live) shrimp while the cycle is becoming established. A dead shrimp will pollute the water and overwhelm the biofilter (causing excess ammonia and lessening the chance that your zoanthids will make it).

If the rock was already fully cured locally, there shouldn't be an ammonia spike (so don't try to force one). Just wait about a week and test for ammonia. If there is ammonia, wait until it's undetectable for a week straight before adding a cleanup crew. Then wait another week before adding anything else. Add livestock slowly, in stages (waiting a week between stages, and testing for ammonia to make sure the biofilter is keeping up).

Don't do a water change until you can detect that the ammonia level is starting to fall. But do one before adding each stage of livestock.

Welcome to NR :)

I agree with the curved glass and pictures, I have a curved glass tank and find it irritating when I want to take photos of corals near the corners.

Welcome to NR! That's some really nice looking rock. What kind of light is that? T5 or led? Hard to tell. Looks like its making a nice shimmer

Mr. Microscope

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Nice save catching that eunice worm. That could be been a huge deal later down the road.

The first pic looks like it might be spongodes, which is an SPS coral in the monti category, the third pic looks like either xenia or clove polyps.

Yeah, curved glass is a pain to take pix with, especially in the corners. Nice hitch hiker corals! :)

Not sure if you know (being in the Beginners forum), but you have to feed each polyp (as they don't collect energy from the lights). The feeders should come out just after lights out. Eventually you should be able to entice them to feed during daylight hours. Sun corals aren't extremely hard to keep, but they do require a lot of work.

Nice Fungia. I find that you have to regularly feed these too (even though they are photosynthetic).

wow I've never seen so many amazing hitch hikers before! Wish my rocks came with such interesting specimens. definitely watching what comes next :)

Archived