Pod Your Reef

Please Delete

ChickenoftheC

NorthGaHillbilly

Well ill start off with some good news and then ill jump right into the bad. Sun coral is doing fantastic. We grabbed some coral yesterday, a few gonis and a scolly. So the tanks looking great. For the bad news see below.

20140803_092537_zpsd38e2d54.jpg

20140803_092434_zpsa20c2b35.jpg

20140803_092415_zps802b9269.jpg

FTS.

20140803_092206_zpsfb707d67.jpg

The LFS guy told us they do better in small tanks... Lies! or maybe misinformed... Its not like we have no copepods.. See picture below. But im now positive the tank is way too small and ill be setting up a pod farm. However she is eating frozen baby brine shrimp so there is hope yet. and we are moving to a bigger tank soon. but still probably not big enough.. we will see. Any tips? Taking her back isn't an option. She is actually a she right? I wouldnt be suprised if it turns out to be a he after everything else...

20140803_092514_zpsc00eba61.jpg

20140803_092347_zpsb348375d.jpg

You can probably make it work with the scooter, take and mix some pellets in the brine and let them turn to mush, you might be able to get it eating some of the slurry, which will be MUCH more nutritious

Really diggin the scoly BTW, awesome corals

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice coral indeed! There are a lot of people here who can give you advice on the scooter. I see them at our LFS all the time, so very thin and unhappy. It makes me want to try it too but our tank is waaay too small.

The sun coral looks great. Are you having any trouble feeding all the polyps individually,especially at the bottom? Ours can be a pain with the fish and hermits.

I use a really long extendable turkey baster to feed them so i don't have to put my hands into the water and turn off all pumps while i do it and leave them off for about 15 or 20 minutes after. I cant wait for the rock to fill in though. so much food gets lost on the rock. A good tip i got given was feed the fish first then give the hermits their own little piece of food to munch on and that will keep them away. My hermits seem to recognize my baster straight away as the food machine lol apparently the type of hermit i have is a herbivore... if herbivore means "runs across open coral to grab mysis" then yes they are herbivores. I checked out your tank thread btw i love your green mushrooms.

Haha thanks for dropping by! I really like those shrooms too. Sadly they are a lot smaller now, after we added the red.

I think they do not get along that well but I'm hoping it will settle.

I hear you on the feeding part, so much of it gets lost. Our hermits and fish are such gluttons, I feed them first but apparently pulling food out of sun corals makes it taste better. They do grow quite quickly though, so it must be ok.

I really like your top left coral arch. We are dropping by a coral dealer today, so who knows I might get some nice goodies too!

~ Hester

Hopefully they grow back out for you. Yea as long as the fish don't get sucked in the coral will be fine. my little yellow clown goby went and pecked off a whole tentacle the other day and it didn't even have food in it so.. lol Thanks that's our goni semi circle. we have 6 up there. Green centers, grey/brown, orange/red, yellow, pink(very tiny cant see it right now its in the gap im waiting for it to fill in) and the purple. Im getting some stuff to hold them on permanently soon.

Yeah it looks great! I really like how they look and it would be nice to have with clowns. I saw some at the coral dealer yesterday, small frags with red green and purple together like a bunch of flowers. I'm really just too scared to try them though, you read a lot about how hard they are to keep happy. Really hope you have good luck with them though!

Really nice tank, such life on that live rock, took me about 8 months to get that same level of coraline algae on my rock. Where abouts in Australia are you from? Did you import that Apex or buy it locally?

I think i got really lucky with this rock it has everything i could ever want and then some. Im from the newcastle area. I see you are also an aussie? I brought my apex from age of aquariums online store. They get them from a company who imports them.

Definitely a good score on the LR, I have never seen any with such life around here. Yep, I'm an Aussie as well, live in the Adelaide Hills area. Cool, thanks for the tip. I looked for the Apex a while ago but couldn't find any local importers. I have used Age of Aquariums before, pretty sure I got my MP10 through them so I'll check them out again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yikes about the shrimp! Hope you don't have trouble with him...

Everything looks really great and I love the cute little YCG!

Is that a radion suspended above the tank? The light is really making your corals pop with color. Love the photos and thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very nice fts. I notice you run the guard on the mp10, how often are you having to clean it? I ran my guard for a lil while to keep the snails from jumping in but it only lasted a few weeks because it got full of deterious quickly.

Liking the pop that radion gives off as well, nice tank!

wow your tank is really looking amazing and so bright and colourful now, makes mine look dull :) I'm really looking forward to seeing the upgrade all set up and running.

Also kind of jealous :lol: I was only able to upgrade to a 250 lt and a sump for it, it's been in at the store for a week now but can't bring it home yet because I'm waiting on the stand to come in.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I know its been a while since i posted but hey i thought why noit put up a little update. After a whole lot of drama we got our tank up and running. Its been up 6 months now and everything is settled in nicely.

attachicon.gif11130271_973653929334107_2043019542057311836_n.jpg

Our gonis have since come out wonderfully in the bigger tank.

attachicon.gif11133844_973651506001016_4618620216167638378_n.jpg

Page quote.

Would love to see more pics on a regular basis! I really respect those that can stick to a theme, I know I can't. :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived