Cultivated Reef

20 gallon high stocking?

Menidia

Hi! I've been reading through these forums, and have found a lot of useful information, and hope to gain much more.

My tank has been set up for 2 weeks, with 20lbs live sand, 22lbs Fiji live rock. I'm running an Aquaclear mini (mostly for flow but it does have some ceramic media and a filter sponge... Should I remove this?). I also have an AquaC nano remora HOB protein skimmer.

The system is still cycling and probably won't be ready for a couple more weeks, but I can't help but to think about stocking...

My favorite idea is an ocellaris clownfish and a royal gramma, but I've heard some conflicting information on them... Is this system large enough? My nano reef book says they'll be fine, but I'd like to double check. Does anyone have experience with a gramma in a 20g? If not, would a firefish be a better choice?

Also, would reef hermits get along with a feather duster worm if the worm is added first?

Thanks!

Gramma and a clown will be fine in a 20g.

Most people use Poly-fil (pillow stuffing) instead of sponges and just throw it away whenever it looks dirty and replace with new.

Generally people also add carbon and po4 remove to their filter. I would use these over the ceramic rings. The rings just act as more live rock and you already have that so might as well get some chemical filtration.

Otherwise, it is important the current media gets rinsed frequently in old tank water.

Reef hermits will do whatever they want. Some are model citizens and others are evil. The biggest annoyance about them is they kill snails. I personally do keep 1 hermit just because he is fun to watch. He is with a feather duster and doesn't bother anything but there is plenty for him to eat.

Add a powerhead if you don't have one already. I doubt the filter will be enough to keep the rocks clean by itself.

Thanks!

I've been doing some more research, and was wondering would the clown be able to thrive as the only clownfish in the tank or do they do better in pairs?

Thanks!

I've been doing some more research, and was wondering would the clown be able to thrive as the only clownfish in the tank or do they do better in pairs?

Totally fine as a single. They won't care :)

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely agree with the above posts. You can always also do a Goby/Shrimp combo. In a 20g you could do that and an active species like a Red-Head Goby.

• 2 weeks later...

Added a little ocellaris, just over an inch. However he spends most of the time right at the surface. Is this normal? He is not gasping, and ate some frozen brine shrimp and some Spectrum pellets, and sometimes swims down and looks around but pops right back up top.

• 2 weeks later...

Clown is doing well now :)

However, I bought a firefish yesterday, who was doing well but today he died.. He was in perfect condition, colors and eyes still bright when I found him at the bottom of the tank. His gills were puffed out like he was suffocated, and his mouth was full of aragonite sand pieces under closer inspection. Could it have choked?

• 4 weeks later...

As of now I have a sixline wrasse with my ocellaris as recommended by my local coral shop. Would it be safe to add a royal gramma? Please don't hesitate to speak up if you feel there will be an issue, I want all my fish to be healthy. As much as I love royal grammas, if it won't work I won't do it. Thanks!

Archived