Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

During a cycle, should skimmer be run?

vlangel

Actually I am well in the cycle. The ammonia has dropped to .50-.25ppm or there about and now the nitrites are rising. They are 2.0ppm. Should I wait til they drop to plug the skimmer in?

Yes I would run the skimmer. If you have a refugium I would grow macro algae too.

I am doing a planted seahorse tank. I was thinking of taking all my plants out of the refugium and moving them into the seahorse DT. I was a little worried about PH swings with the lights only being on the plants in the daytime.

Mike Savage

Personally I would not worry about the PH swing in our small systems and the relatively small amount of macro (decorative or other) that we grow.

Skimming takes organics out of the tank before they enter the cycle. If you want to establish the bacteria, what's the point of skimming? It would seem that feeding the bacteria is what you want.

Skimming takes organics out of the tank before they enter the cycle. If you want to establish the bacteria, what's the point of skimming? It would seem that feeding the bacteria is what you want.

I agree with this. I have always heard that you should not run the skimmer during the cycle.

I think that there might be two sides to this. If you have live rock right out of the ocean and you want to try to keep some of the organisms alive, then skimming might soften (and definitely prolong) the cycle. I guess if you were going to do this, you could adjust the aggressiveness that you would skim. Otherwise, I'd think that any kind of purification would not be the best way to go.

AZDesertRat

If I am curing live rock during the cycle process I skim the heck out of it to remove die off from the new rock. If it is a new cycle with dry rock/sand and a shrimp or maybe even a piece of cured live rock and a couple cups of real live sand from a friend then I don't worry about skimming at that point as I want the organics to feed and jump start the bacteria colonization.

Archived