inTank Media Baskets

Horses and Gorganzolas

River_styx

River_styx

Specs:

Tank size: 50 gallon

Lighting: Kessil 350, full white, minimum blue.

Filtration: Aquaclear 70 with filter floss, Carbon/Gfo.

Skimmer: Remora w/Preskimmer

Circulation: Jebao 25 on low setting

Bio filtration: Various macros in the display, around 30 lbs of aragonite sand and around 30 lbs of live rock.

Chiller: Finally hooked up! Aqua Euro Apex 1/10 HP

i'm upgrading my 29 gallon seahorse tank, its time. Once the 50 is ready (waiting on those pesky nitrates) I will be moving over my 2 adult Reidi (breeding) and one adolescent Tiger tail, Target Mandarin (eating frozen), gorgs, and softies. Eventually I want to add in various small lifestock, like pederson shrimp and small gobies. Exciting stuff!! :D

post-54889-0-89734000-1401846041_thumb.jpg

I love the rock on the right cause it tables up from a short base. Soooo purdy. You can see some halimeda in there and some red bubble macro. The clam shell on the left will also be the food station, something the horses and mandarin are already familiar with in the 29.

River_styx

Wow, I love your rock work! Can't wait to see it once its cycled with some cool stuff in it.

Thank you :) I tested the nitrates, phosphate, and ammonia today and its all at zero! gonna toss some stuff in later tonight from the 29 and see how they look tmw.

River_styx

Photo update!!! Added in some corals, mostly to the left side of the tank :)

post-54889-0-10199500-1401945313_thumb.jpg

Full shot

And left close up shot :)

post-54889-0-67844500-1401945505_thumb.jpg

And this is a funky gorg that I dont know what the name is XD I've never seen another one like it but I've had it for several months and still going strong! Its not open right now and the color isnt very true but it is a red-purple with orange polyps. NPS.

post-54889-0-75322400-1401945558_thumb.jpg

post-54889-0-31652300-1401945765_thumb.jpg

Soooonnnn......

• 4 weeks later...

Update! Chiller is hooked up. I think after turning everything off/back on when I hooked up the chiller it kicked up some gunk (or the skimmer began to micro bubble again (cant tell)) so I replaced all my filtration media. Just in case.

New gorgs were put in, mostly photosynthetic. Some things were moved around.

Full tank shot:

post-54889-0-05200000-1403997814_thumb.jpg

Left side

post-54889-0-27229400-1403998280_thumb.jpg

Right side

post-54889-0-26906500-1403998165_thumb.jpg

post-54889-0-18871700-1403998001_thumb.jpg

LOL My husband calls my gorgonian a gorganzola all the time. He can never remember the real name.

Anyway, I really like that twisted NPS gorg. You will have to share a picture of it with polyps extended!

LOL My husband calls my gorgonian a gorganzola all the time. He can never remember the real name.

Anyway, I really like that twisted NPS gorg. You will have to share a picture of it with polyps extended!

Haha, to be fair, it does sound very close.

Its far more moody in this new tank. Its hard too because I cant find any info on whatever kind of gorg it is, but its twisting branches seem to require more flow than my other gorgs so hopefully it will be happier and open in its new home.

I don't see any horses yet? Are they still in the old tank? Liking the look, especially the right side is really cool.

I don't see any horses yet? Are they still in the old tank? Liking the look, especially the right side is really cool.

Yes, they are still in the old tank and thank you :) Something decided that microbubbling was the thing to do so I'm trying to figure out what is doing it and how to stop it. The most obvious offender would be the skimmer but it hasn't done that since its break-in week. I've turned on/off all my equipment to figure out which one is doing it but the bubbles stay constant no matter what is on/off.

I'm worried that with the constant mating of my horses the male may get air in his pouch if he goes in now :( And I'm worried my female may get those air bubbles caught beneath her skin. Gah. Horse issues.

Wow, horses do indeed complicate things don't they? I haven't experienced that yet as I won't be getting my horses until September. That is proof there. I am going out of the country for 9 days and don't want to leave my ponies in someone else's care. Also I am worried that summer temperatures will stress my old chiller out so we are getting AC ( as soon as we can afford it) after living in this house since 1986 with out it. LOL

Yes, they are still in the old tank and thank you :) Something decided that microbubbling was the thing to do so I'm trying to figure out what is doing it and how to stop it. The most obvious offender would be the skimmer but it hasn't done that since its break-in week. I've turned on/off all my equipment to figure out which one is doing it but the bubbles stay constant no matter what is on/off.

I'm worried that with the constant mating of my horses the male may get air in his pouch if he goes in now :( And I'm worried my female may get those air bubbles caught beneath her skin. Gah. Horse issues.

Wow, horses do indeed complicate things don't they? I haven't experienced that yet as I won't be getting my horses until September. That is proof there. I am going out of the country for 9 days and don't want to leave my ponies in someone else's care. Also I am worried that summer temperatures will stress my old chiller out so we are getting AC ( as soon as we can afford it) after living in this house since 1986 with out it. LOL

Haha. Yes, they do. I jokingly say to my friends that it is a miracle they continue to live in the wild. I'm actually really pleased with my chiller. Its quiet and efficient and doesn't cost a grand like some chillers >_< so should you ever be in the market again I highly recommend it. But I think you have totally earned AC. You're a stronger person than me to have gone for so long :)

Your thread title is fabulous!

Thank you! :) Just wish I had a better camera to make the thread more fancy ;p

Haha. Yes, they do. I jokingly say to my friends that it is a miracle they continue to live in the wild. I'm actually really pleased with my chiller. Its quiet and efficient and doesn't cost a grand like some chillers >_< so should you ever be in the market again I highly recommend it. But I think you have totally earned AC. You're a stronger person than me to have gone for so long :)

Well I do live in Pennsylvania, its definitely not the tropics! Although we get in the 90s periodically. My chiller is probably 12 years old, loud and not very energy efficient, plus it leaks ever so slightly so I may be asking you about yours. My hubby and I decided that AC would be an upgrade to our home, (even here in PA everyone has AC) that would probably be necessary to make our house desirable from a buyer view point!

Thank you! :) Just wish I had a better camera to make the thread more fancy ;p

River_styx

So. After turning off each of my equipment pieces and adding sponges and microfiber to just about everything I have concluded that maybe what I am seeing isn't all micro bubbles. I cleaned out the sponge that filters out the bubbles from my skimmer when I put in my chiller the other day and a lot of fine almost silt like sand was caught in it (from when I first added in my sand). My guess is that while this cleaning probably made the sponge less effective (in that now that it is clean more stuff can go through it) it also probably released some of the stuck silt sand bits upon its dis-lodgement. I have also noticed that none of these bubbles in question have collected on any of my rocks, glass or coral, just the sponge filters I've placed where I know issues are/can be. This strengthens my thought that maybe it is just fine sand being stirred in my tank. I've also caught some gunk in my micro fibers and being that there isnt anything really making waste (just a conch and 5 astreas), that there is stuff just floating in my water.

Also, upon looking at my 29 gal. tank I noticed that I do have some, not a lot, of small bubbles. I've had my ponies in there for just short of a year so I'm going to go with the assumption that they do fine, at least with minimal bubbles. I did a 5 gallon water change to try and see if it will help any. Buuttt the female is going in tonight! I'm still worried about the male's pouch and the fact that he is super preggers right now. Figure I will train my female where the bowl is and when the male goes in she will show him where the food is at.

Ha ha, the female showing the male where the food is! Male is super pregnant. Seahorses sure are different than people!!!

River_styx

Ha ha, the female showing the male where the food is! Male is super pregnant. Seahorses sure are different than people!!!

Haha, they sure are.

So the female is in now. It took her less than a minute to find the dead spot in the tank and she looks content hiding there right now. I was worried that she may not have enough hitching posts, seeing how little she looked in the new tank so I moved over my green nepthea. Its a common sleep spot for my male but he's taken to the halimeda now in the 29 so...now his lady gets the nepthea XD

Someone was eating these at work, and I immediately thought of your tank:

Gorgonzola_zps1676f5b2.jpg

TBH I dont even know what gorgonzola tastes like. But now I kinda gotta know....

UPDATE:

So, for those of you that dont know, I did have some stress issues on my new seahorses in the 50. They were twitching and scratching, which is a sign of ammonia burn or parasites. I ruled out parasites due to the fact that during their parasite treatment they did not twitch (a sign parasites are dying). Plus the fact that the only thing new in their environment/tank are the new coral and some plants.

So, I have since read that if you do a water change and dont take out enough water the ph change with new water can cause a spike in ammonia. I did a 5 gallon WC the day before adding them in so its possible a spike was still occurring but I didnt get that in my ammonia reading. I did a dip in some medication to help ammonia burn but I have basically concluded the twitching/scratching is due to bodacious amounts of copepods in my new tank (I also read that seahorses do this flail/twitch when people see amphipods on them so I feel like this is the same thing). I'm still slightly stressed when they rub against plants and such but...their color is good, their super active, eyes are alert, and they are even strong enough to swim straight against the current. I have started soaking their food in selcon and garlic as a precaution/if only to feel better.

Sooo since the last picture update I have some new macros (a BEAST shaving brush!)(some of which I need to move to a more permanent home). I also plan on moving some of the gorgs/gorgonzolas :P from the left to the right island. I also moved the seashell food bowl to the sand, due to the fact that my seahorses like to hang upside-down like bats to feed. But hey- they are using the bowl now! My Reidi female alone almost finishes half a cube now per feeding (twice a day. So proud) which I think partially has to do with her feeling less stressed in the new tank. I'm also getting some cyano (boo) but that is expected with a new tank to as of now I'm not too worried.

My male seahorse has popped out his babies so I feel more confident about adding him to the new tank, which should happen in the next few days.

I haven't seen any scratching or twitching for days now. Super happy about that. The male is now in the 50, has been for 3 days now and I think he is already knocked up XD so I guess they are happy. I got a Seachem Ammonia alert for the tank, just for peace of mind.

I re-organised my tank, put some macros in the hob filter, got a chili pepper monti frag, and just added in two spotted anemone shrimp omgomgomg I've wanted those guys for a long time and they're both super fatties. I've seen some threads where they take to hiding on gorgs so I'm hoping they will be enticed either there or on the cabbage or macros.

Ughhh I need a photo update >_>

Archived