Top Shelf Aquatics

BRS RO/DI Systems Question.

Angel<3Nanos

Angel<3Nanos

Hello.

Looking to buy a BRS System. And was debating whether to go with the 4 stage or 5 stage.

What's your opinion?

The reason why I ask is because a LFS has a 4stage in stock.

But for the same price I can buy the 5stage. And wait for it to be shipped and whatnot.

Thx

AZDesertRat

If the 5 stage means it has two full size vertical DI filters versus the 4 stage with a single DI then it may be worth the difference depending on the cost. Are there other differences like better sediment and carbon block filters, better membrane, better DI resin, pressure gauge versus no gauge etc? Things like those are worth considering but you have to weigh the cost.

I would also look at other vendors who may or may not have a better value but it gives you a chance to see different micron size filters etc.

Check out places like www.spectrapure.com with their $140 refurbished systems, www.purelyh2o.com with their Optima series or www.buckeyehydro.com with their Premium series. All start around $140 complete and go up to around $200 with things like TDS meters, DI bypass valves etc. Things like flush kits, dual carbons and inline TDS meters have limited if any value so don't let any of those influence your decision.

Angel<3Nanos

If the 5 stage means it has two full size vertical DI filters versus the 4 stage with a single DI then it may be worth the difference depending on the cost. Are there other differences like better sediment and carbon block filters, better membrane, better DI resin, pressure gauge versus no gauge etc? Things like those are worth considering but you have to weigh the cost.

I would also look at other vendors who may or may not have a better value but it gives you a chance to see different micron size filters etc.

Check out places like www.spectrapure.com with their $140 refurbished systems, www.purelyh2o.com with their Optima series or www.buckeyehydro.com with their Premium series. All start around $140 complete and go up to around $200 with things like TDS meters, DI bypass valves etc. Things like flush kits, dual carbons and inline TDS meters have limited if any value so don't let any of those influence your decision.

Thx for the response AZ!!

Here's the specs of the 4 stage.

Value systems are smaller, portable and affordable. The BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS Reverse Osmosis/Deionization System includes all the essential features necessary to start making pure RO/DI water at 75 gallons per day. Plusan air-filled pressure gauge, membrane flush kit and HM Digital Dual Inline TDS meter.

4 Stages of Filtration:

• Purtrex 5 Micron depth sediment filter
  • MATRIKX CTO 5 Micron carbon block
  • 75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
  • Single Deionization(DI) stage with refillable cartridge

PLUS Features:

• Air-filled Pressure Gauge (100 psi) to help ensure the RO system is performing properly
  • Membrane Flush Kit to help maintain RO membrane
  • HM Digital Dual Inline TDS (total dissolved solids) Meter to help monitor system

Parts Bag Includes:

• Filter wrench to tighten and loosen canisters
  • Chrome faucet connector to make a non-permanent connection to kitchen sink
  • Utility sink/garden hose adapter to make a non-permanent connection to garden hose or laundry tub

Standard Features:

• Automatic shut-off valve
  • Mur-lok Push Connect dual EPDM O-Ring fittings
  • 10 Ft Each of Blue, Red and Black Tubing
  • All BRS Reverse Osmosis units exclusively feature American made DOW, MATRIKX and Purtrex filters. We also use American made Mur-lok dual EPDM O-ring fittings whenever possible on all of our reverse osmosis units. These NSF certified fittings and filters cost us more than inexpensive imports, but set our units apart from the competition.

And here's the 5 stage.

The BRS 5 Stage PLUS Reverse Osmosis/Deionization System includes all the essential features necessary to start making pure RO/DI water at 75 gallons per day. Plusan air-filled pressure gauge, membrane flush kit and Dual Inline TDS meter.

5 Stages of Filtration:

• Purtrex 5 micron depth sediment filter
  • MATRIKX CTO/2 5 micron carbon block
  • MATRIKX+1 0.6 micron carbon block
  • 75 GPD Dow Filmtec Membrane
  • Single Deionization(DI) stage with refillable cartridge

PLUS Features:

• Air-filled Pressure Gauge (100 psi) to help ensure the RO system is performing properly
  • Membrane Flush Kit to help maintain RO membrane
  • HM Digital Dual Inline TDS (total dissolved solids) Meter to help monitor system

Parts Bag Includes:

• 1/4" Push Connect drain saddle clamp to plumb the waste water line from the RO system to a sink's drain pipe
  • Mur-lok Push Connect ball valve for easy on/off
  • Filter wrench to tighten and loosen canisters
  • Self-piercing saddle valve to make a permanent connection to household water supply
  • Chrome faucet connector to make a non-permanent connection to kitchen sink
  • Utility sink/garden hose adapter to make a non-permanent connection to garden hose or laundry tub
  • Mur-lok EZ angle stop adaptor to make a semi-permanent connection to household water supply under sink

Standard Features:

• Automatic shut-off valve
  • Mur-lok Push Connect dual EPDM O-Ring fittings
  • 10 Ft Each of Blue, Red and Black Tubing
  • All BRS Reverse Osmosis units exclusively feature American made DOW, MATRIKX and Purtrex filters. We also use American made Mur-lok dual EPDM O-ring fittings whenever possible on all of our reverse osmosis units. These NSF certified fittings and filters cost us more than inexpensive imports, but set our units apart from the competition.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

The 4 stage is $161.99

The 5 stage is $189.99

Thats including the BRS Preferred Reefer discount.

I will alo take a look at those other brands. I've heard good things about them as well.

Im just very new to RO/DI systems.

My previous system was the AquaticLife RO Buddie with DI. And it sucked lol.

AZDesertRat

Several issues I see with the two you show, both have very coarse sediment filters so they do little to protect the microscopic pores in the carbon where the chlorine and volatiles ar adsorbed. I would look at no larger than a 1 micron sediment filter.

The first one, again has a very coarse 5 micron carbon. It has limitation on how long it will filter out chlorine. This is important since both the waste flow and the treated flow pass through the carbon so get as fine of a micron rating as you can. the 5 micron is good for around 6,000 total gallons or 1,200 treated gallons and 4,800 waste gallons. A better 1 micron would treat 9,000 to 12,000 gallons and the best 0.5 or 0.6 micron will do 20,000 gallons. The cost difference or maybe $3-$5 to upgrade to a 1 micron or $10 to upgrade to the 0.5 or 0.6 micron is well worth it. Also the 5 micron is not good for chloramines where the 1 and 0.5-0.6 microns are excellent for the chlorine portion of chloramines.

Note every system I linked to uses no larger than a 1 micron and all use a single carbon block since it is well protected by a 1 micron or smaller sediment filter. Your second system above uses two carbons to achieve the same thing so has added cost. They are using the first carbon as a sacrificial filter to help trap what the first sediment filter misses. Something you may not know is you can see 40 microns with the unaided human eye so 5 microns is still pretty darn big compared to 1 micron or smaller.

Both also include flush kits which have no documented proven value and both come with inline TDS meters that are not temperature compensated so lack the accuracy of a $25 handheld like the TDS-3 or AP-1 from the same manufacturer. HM Digital. I would always opt for a handheld TDS meter even though I own two dual inline TDS meters.

I love BRS chemicals and have a closet full of them including 5 gallon buckets of their two part magnesium supplement but I am not a fan of their RO systems.

Angel<3Nanos

Several issues I see with the two you show, both have very coarse sediment filters so they do little to protect the microscopic pores in the carbon where the chlorine and volatiles ar adsorbed. I would look at no larger than a 1 micron sediment filter.

The first one, again has a very coarse 5 micron carbon. It has limitation on how long it will filter out chlorine. This is important since both the waste flow and the treated flow pass through the carbon so get as fine of a micron rating as you can. the 5 micron is good for around 6,000 total gallons or 1,200 treated gallons and 4,800 waste gallons. A better 1 micron would treat 9,000 to 12,000 gallons and the best 0.5 or 0.6 micron will do 20,000 gallons. The cost difference or maybe $3-$5 to upgrade to a 1 micron or $10 to upgrade to the 0.5 or 0.6 micron is well worth it. Also the 5 micron is not good for chloramines where the 1 and 0.5-0.6 microns are excellent for the chlorine portion of chloramines.

Note every system I linked to uses no larger than a 1 micron and all use a single carbon block since it is well protected by a 1 micron or smaller sediment filter. Your second system above uses two carbons to achieve the same thing so has added cost. They are using the first carbon as a sacrificial filter to help trap what the first sediment filter misses. Something you may not know is you can see 40 microns with the unaided human eye so 5 microns is still pretty darn big compared to 1 micron or smaller.

Both also include flush kits which have no documented proven value and both come with inline TDS meters that are not temperature compensated so lack the accuracy of a $25 handheld like the TDS-3 or AP-1 from the same manufacturer. HM Digital. I would always opt for a handheld TDS meter even though I own two dual inline TDS meters.

I love BRS chemicals and have a closet full of them including 5 gallon buckets of their two part magnesium supplement but I am not a fan of their RO systems.

So much good info there man! A appreciate replying!

Is there a better RO/DI system you recommend for under $200. I'm on a budget and I can't afford anything higher even if I wanted to :/ sadly.

I have a friend selling me a 90gpd Spectrapure system but he says All filters including the membrane needs replacement. And he wants $200 just for the unit. Plus filters I'm almost looking at retail price lol.

Also I own a Hannah Handheld TDS, so that was good investment then. :)

AZDesertRat

The 90 GPD Spectrapure MPDI refurbished is on sale for $139. Don't let the refurbished title fool you, they are not used systems, have all new filters, membranes and DI but may have a scuff or cosmetic scratch somewhere so can't be sold as new.

Angel<3Nanos

Really!!!???? Thx for the letting me know.

Could you link me? I'm trying to find it. :)

Angel<3Nanos

Thx AZ!!!

Do you think I should purchase this as well with it?

http://spectrapure.com/Low-Waste-Manual-Membrane-Flush-Valve-Kit-For-90-GPD-RO-RODI-Systems?filter_name=flush%20kit

Seems like it doesn't come with flush and Float valve. And it still under budget!!! ;)

I own a BRS, but plan to replace with Spectrapure filters as soon as they need changing.

Awesome! I'm set on Spectrapure!

AZDesertRat

I would not waste money on a flush kit, the yahve no proven documented value other than to lighten your wallet and give you a warm fuzzy feeling. If and only IF you are using softened water and have lower than normal tap water TDS then you might consider the low waste kit and lower the waste ratio to 3:1 and in rare cases 2:1, it comes with both restrictors and isntructions. If you dont have soft water or know your TDS then I wouldn't even consider it.

If you want to fill a ATO reservoir get an autoshutoff valve (ASOV) and either a float valve or float switches and solenoid valve but the flush kit is a feel good thing.

Angel<3Nanos

I would not waste money on a flush kit, the yahve no proven documented value other than to lighten your wallet and give you a warm fuzzy feeling. If and only IF you are using softened water and have lower than normal tap water TDS then you might consider the low waste kit and lower the waste ratio to 3:1 and in rare cases 2:1, it comes with both restrictors and isntructions. If you dont have soft water or know your TDS then I wouldn't even consider it.

If you want to fill a ATO reservoir get an autoshutoff valve (ASOV) and either a float valve or float switches and solenoid valve but the flush kit is a feel good thing.

Thank you so much man!

I appreciate all your knowledge!

You've saved me some money!

:)

Archived