ReefCleaners.org

{ RoT_Reef: {[ PicO_20G, NanoBox_Duo, KZ ]}} // New pics 12-16-2015

defender.TX

defender.TX

Welcome!

Welcome to my build thread. I've had a thread for my Nuvo 24 going over in the All-In-One sub-forum for about a year now. The Nuvo 24 was my first reef tank ever and has been a great tank but I wanted to start something different. I just placed an order for my 20G AIO and stand from PicO Aquariums and am waiting for it to be built and shipped out. I will be transferring everything from the Nuvo 24 into the PicO 20G and selling the Nuvo 24.

Republic of Texas? Or About Me

I'm a Software Developer and relatively new reefer from Austin, Texas. I was born in Texas and have lived here my entire life (besides a quick stint in Seattle, WA :D). As some of you might know, Texans go a little overboard with our state pride, and seeing as I live in the capital of our fine state it seemed like as fitting name as any for my new reef.

14329068331_9d4c4a3aa9.jpg

Vision

As I mentioned above, this is going to be a PicO 20G with stand. It's going to be powered by a NanoBox Duo and will be heavy on Softies, LPS, and Macro. I have a lot of great metallic red and green mushrooms, murpho-metallic GSP, and Hawaiian People Eater Palythoa's that will be moved into the tank from the start from my Nuvo. My vision for this tank is a very natural look. Outside of the tank I am planning a two-tone black/white theme with all of the equipment.

Equipment

• PicO Aquariums 20G Premium (White)
  • PicO Aquariums 20G Stand (Black)
  • NanoBox Duo (Grey/White)
  • Tunze Nano Osmolator
  • Cobalt Aquatics NeoTherm 100W Heater
  • EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10
  • CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite Nano Skimmer

Full Tank Shot (02-16-2015)

16553007102_9c34f7d82b_b.jpg

Livestock

• Assorted Zoanthids
  • Assorted Acans
  • Green Star Polyps (Briareum sp.)
  • Assorted Mushrooms (Actinodiscus sp.)
  • Trumpet Coral (Caulastrea curvata)
  • Torch Coral (Euphyllia glabrescens)
  • ORA Purple Stylophora
  • ORA "Joe the Coral" (Acropora sp.)
  • Fighting Conch
  • Assorted Hermit Crabs
  • Mexican Turbo Snail
  • Ocellaris Clownfish Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris)
  • Firefish (Nemateleotris magnifica)
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

Admittedly it caught my eyes. I had to see the defender tank, lol. Btw, what are the best lfs's there in ATX. My favorite one so far is the aqua dome. I try to stop by every time I'm up in that area.

defender.TX

Admittedly it caught my eyes. I had to see the defender tank, lol. Btw, what are the best lfs's there in ATX. My favorite one so far is the aqua dome. I try to stop by every time I'm up in that area.

I've only ever been to the Austin Aquadome, so I consider it to be my "home" shop. I love the people there and the quirky atmosphere. Also, Hunter (guy upstairs working the saltwater tanks) is really knowledgable.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks, I was hoping for maybe a secret spot amongst locals. I guess I'll just consider it my home spot as well when I'm up there. Awesome selection anyways.

defender.TX

Thanks, I was hoping for maybe a secret spot amongst locals. I guess I'll just consider it my home spot as well when I'm up there. Awesome selection anyways.

There are a few others. You can check out Austin AquaTek too, but it's far enough north that I haven't driven up there yet. I haven't seen a reason to not go back to the Dome. You can't go wrong with South Austin ;) .

gulfsurfer101

No you can't, everything I love packed into one tiny area. Alcohol, great music, good swimming holes, and all kinds of hot girls. Hairy ones, hippy ones, crusty ones, hipster ones, too, the list can go on and on and on.

defender.TX

No you can't, everything I love packed into one tiny area. Alcohol, great music, good swimming holes, and all kinds of hot girls. Hairy ones, hippy ones, crusty ones, hipster ones, too, the list can go on and on and on.

Hah! Very true. That's how I feel about Port Aransas in the busy season. I grew up a few blocks from Bob Hall Pier, still try and make it down once a year.

gulfsurfer101

Lol, true that! I love it. Especially during these hot months where these girls are wearing nothing more than a pirate patch, lol. I'm following this thread now just for good times to come.

defender.TX

Order this Duo :)

-Dave

I'm waiting on a client of mine to pay up and then the order will come your way :D .

defender.TX

Woot Devs with reef tanks and Duos FTW!

Agreed! I've been drooling over PicO's and NanoBox's ever since I was a lurker here a few years ago and am irrationally excited to get mine.

defender.TX

This is gonna be sick.

Following along. :ninja:

I hope I don't let anybody down! Nothing to report at this point - meeting with my client Tuesday to get paid (gotta keep that cash flow up so I can order my NanoBox :D ) and continuing to do maintenance on my Nuvo 24 to keep everybody happy until I move them to the new home.

defender.TX

There's so much Lone-Star-State in this mofo... You cant fail. :D

Haha, right?! Honestly it's a little tongue in cheek but I wanted this build to have a theme and it just felt right ;) .

defender.TX

Oh, and one more thing - I'm thinking about going with the KZ Blue Bottles on this build. I've seen a lot of people who seem to have great results with them. Right now my supplemental feedings consist of target feeding Mysis Shrimp and broadcasting BRS Reef Chili.

Archived