inTank Media Baskets

{ RoT_Reef: {[ PicO_20G, NanoBox_Duo, KZ ]}} // New pics 12-16-2015

defender.TX

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
defender.TX

I just ordered the MP10 and some Fiji Pink Sand. If my tank and light get shipped soon this build might actually happen!

defender.TX

Dave is a really busy guy. It's worth the wait though imo

I'm definitely not complaining! Just anxious and excited to get my build started. I know Dave will deliver.

defender.TX

So the tank finally made it in one piece! Man it looks incredible - the build quality on the PicO is just amazing. I also received my MP10. At this point I'm just waiting on the light.

However! I have a huge roadblock! I just found out I have to move in the next three weeks. I don't want to transfer everything from my Nuvo into a brand new tank and then move it again in a few days to a new house. So, my current plan is to move to the new house and setup the PicO dry while leaving the Nuvo running. Then, come back, transfer everything from the Nuvo to the new house and immediately move it into the PicO. It's going to be a lot of work but I've moved the tank once before so I know I can do it.

I'll be leak testing the PicO this weekend so that I am confident it will hold up at the new place.

More to come...

I ordered the NanoBox with the hanging kit so now I have to figure out how to hang the light. I'm thinking about buying some shelve brackets from IKEA (I realized these would not work and am getting a shelf from the Container Store) and mounting them on the wall behind the tank:

4685.jpg

What light did you order? Any reason you're not going with Dave's gooseneck or do you just prefer the wires/hanging look?

defender.TX

What light did you order? Any reason you're not going with Dave's gooseneck or do you just prefer the wires/hanging look?

I got the Duo, gray with white accents. I prefer my lights to hang, gives it a cleaner look in my opinion.

defender.TX

Moving to N Austin, nearer the other two LFS?

Haha! Yes actually! Near the 620/Anderson Mill area...

Meanwhile, have a pic of my Duo:

14519260702_424d11590b_c.jpg

Haha! Yes actually! Near the 620/Anderson Mill area...

Meanwhile, have a pic of my Duo:

14519260702_424d11590b_c.jpg

Awesome! First beer is on me the next time I am out your way after you move. Be there the week of 7 July if you are moved by then.

NICE Duo...I have a black on black one with the Bluefish controller due in about 2 weeks. Now I just have to get the IM 16 up and running!

defender.TX

I just heard from Dave that my Duo should be here soon. I also decided to stay in my current house for at least another two months, so I'm going to be setting up the new tank soon and getting ready to transfer everything over. I don't want to move tanks twice, but I also don't want to move an empty Nuvo to my new place so I'm going to get everything transferred and the Nuvo sold ASAP.

defender.TX

Leak Test

Tank is wet for the first time! I'm doing a little freshwater leak test (yes on the stand, in my living room - I have a lot of faith in Chris :D ). It's been up and running for about 24 hours and everything is fine. NanoBox is being delivered today too so that means I plan on getting the light hung tonight and tomorrow I will hopefully get everything transferred. Also, while it is right next to a window that window never receives direct sunlight. It's just a little extra natural light that I actually think enhances viewing the tank.

14392958789_fb730e919e_c.jpg

Also, change of plans on the Nuvo. I'm not selling anymore and the wife is going to be turning it into a freshwater pond biotope :wub: . We just can't help ourselves.

defender.TX

I worked pretty hard today to get the light hung and running. I really like the way it turned out! I still haven't gotten the DSLR out, iPhone to the rescue:

14582341312_ec4e6303d8_c.jpg

14581274134_db21a8cdd2_c.jpg

defender.TX

Looks great and hope you are already enjoying :)

-Dave

Dave, I can't even say enough about this light. It's absolutely incredible and having it setup right next to my old light just shows how amazing the spectrum looks. I really can't wait to get everything transferred to the new tank now!

I've been playing around with the settings a bit, testing out my light curve over the empty tank. Have the Blues at 100 and Whites at 160 and I am amazed.

Next up I need to figure out how to get all of this organized in the stand. My wires are a complete mess right now. I have the Storm Controller and MP10 Controller to mount on the inside of the door and I picked up a heavy duty "workshop surge protector" from Lowes. I like it because it has 6 bright yellow outlets on a black metal case. It looks very good in the stand and has attractive red and green LEDs. I think I need to pick up another one since the NanoBox takes 3 of the 6 outlets.

MountainReef

Very nice!!

I'm watching.

I ordered my pico and duo about the same time as you. I received the pico about a week ago, but UPS decided to drop it, no leak test needed. Chris has been very cool and the new tank should be shipping in the next few days.

My duo should be here soon.

Needless to say, I like your setup, cause ive got basically the same one on the way. :)

defender.TX

I put in a few hours of work yesterday and got everything transferred to the new tank :D . Now that the dust has settled I got the DSLR out and am pretty happy with the results.

14621001696_5702687670_b.jpg

14641810664_69af3abdf8_b.jpg

14621007166_87a219a660_b.jpg

14457318290_5973ff0620_b.jpg

14640739661_af0fd02e43_b.jpg

defender.TX

As the water continued to clear up today, I realized that I had my work cut out for me. I didn't want the Acans on the sandbed and the Torch wasn't very happy where I had it. I popped into Austin Aquadome, grabbed some Seachem Reef Glue and an ORA Purple Stylophora, and got to work.

I think that rearranging the rock and adding the Stylo really made this tank come alive. Once everything gets settled in I'll have updated photos. Oh, also, this marks a big milestone for me - my first SPS ever!

what made you switch from Nuvo 24 to PicO 20? You loose 4 gallons and horizontal space. I am not questioning your decision since I own a PicO too and LOVE it, but was just wondering if there was something wrong with the Nuvo 24. Especially since the upgrade must have cost a pretty penny.

defender.TX

what made you switch from Nuvo 24 to PicO 20? You loose 4 gallons and horizontal space. I am not questioning your decision since I own a PicO too and LOVE it, but was just wondering if there was something wrong with the Nuvo 24. Especially since the upgrade must have cost a pretty penny.

Basically it came down to wanting the low iron glass and preferring a cube for a reef aquarium to the long low layout of the Nuvo 24. Also, my PicO 20 gallon actually took about 2.5 more gallons than the Nuvo 24 when I transferred everything over. With that said, I think the Nuvo 24 is a great aquarium and my wife is taking it over and converting it to freshwater. It will probably end up heavily planted because that's how we do freshwater tanks in this house :D .

Archived