Coral Vue Hydros

{ RoT_Reef: {[ PicO_20G, NanoBox_Duo, KZ ]}} // New pics 12-16-2015

defender.TX

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
defender.TX

In Austin and will hit Aqua Tek this week...will let you know what I think.

Definitely do! I would like to hear your thoughts since I might be moving out to Lakeway (which would make AquaTek the closest LFS to me).

defender.TX

Good news guys, I did close the contract I was working on last night and am working on getting my NanoBox ordered :D .

defender.TX

"Giving my money to Dave Fason!" - *DaveFason likes this* .... Hahahahahaha :D

I just put in the order for my Duo! Grey with White Accents, should go perfect with my grey scale theme.

acb.jpg

I just put in the order for my Duo! Grey with White Accents, should go perfect with my grey scale theme.

acb.jpg

Good for you! You will not be disappointed.

defender.TX

In town, heading to AquaTek after work tonight!

Nice! Are you going to be in town for the ROT Rally? I've got to be honest...it's a little rowdy.

Nice! Are you going to be in town for the ROT Rally? I've got to be honest...it's a little rowdy.

Rowdy I can handle...but I go home on a late flight tomorrow.

Will let you know what I think of AquaTek.

defender.TX

Yes please do! I'm curious.

AquaTek sounds like the sicked lfs in town....the name is just rapid killer.

defender.TX

So while I'm waiting for my tank and light, let's talk coral! My wife suggested I head to Austin AquaFarms this Saturday and pick up some things for Father's Day (yes, she's the best :wub: ). One of the corals I've wanted since the very beginning are Acans but have yet to pick some up. I definitely want this to be an LPS/Softie dominated tank so the acans fit in perfectly.

Here are some I'm thinking about picking up:

DSC_00901.jpg

DSC_00373.jpg

DSC_00493.jpg

Also, the power went out last night during a pretty gnarly storm for a good 2-3 hours. Long story short, the VorTech Battery Backup is now on my equipment list. My coral's were pretty pissed by the time it came back on (2-3 hours of zero water flow). I dosed some Coral Vitalizer, Pohl's Xtra, Amino Acid Concentrate LPS, and Sponge Power this morning so hopefully they will get over it :D .

pismo_reefer

I know this sounds stupid, but I seriously used to "stir" my 20g when the power went out.

Just used a big kitchen spoon. :D

But, life is made vastly easier with a battery backup.

I was on the 16th floor of the Hyatt Regency downtown...thought I was going to lose the glass door that went out to the small patio! I sat out there for awhile, enjoyed the light show, and got pretty wet!

AquaTek was VERY cool. More of an aquarium shop...by that I mean they had a VERY impressive stock of tanks, pumps, lights (several sizes/models of LEDS...not something you see often), and other equipment. They had fewer frags but a lot of REALLY impressive colony-sized pieces. Not a ton of variety, but $40-50 colonies with 100+ zoanthid polyps or 15-20 acan heads was pretty sweet.

Display tanks were awesome...they one on the front counter had a pale blue favia that I have never seen before. WANT!

So while I'm waiting for my tank and light, let's talk coral! My wife suggested I head to Austin AquaFarms this Saturday and pick up some things for Father's Day (yes, she's the best :wub: ). One of the corals I've wanted since the very beginning are Acans but have yet to pick some up. I definitely want this to be an LPS/Softie dominated tank so the acans fit in perfectly.

Here are some I'm thinking about picking up:

DSC_00901.jpg

DSC_00373.jpg

DSC_00493.jpg

Also, the power went out last night during a pretty gnarly storm for a good 2-3 hours. Long story short, the VorTech Battery Backup is now on my equipment list. My coral's were pretty pissed by the time it came back on (2-3 hours of zero water flow). I dosed some Coral Vitalizer, Pohl's Xtra, Amino Acid Concentrate LPS, and Sponge Power this morning so hopefully they will get over it :D .

Gotta try to get there next time...they have GREAT acans!

defender.TX

I was on the 16th floor of the Hyatt Regency downtown...thought I was going to lose the glass door that went out to the small patio! I sat out there for awhile, enjoyed the light show, and got pretty wet!

AquaTek was VERY cool. More of an aquarium shop...by that I mean they had a VERY impressive stock of tanks, pumps, lights (several sizes/models of LEDS...not something you see often), and other equipment. They had fewer frags but a lot of REALLY impressive colony-sized pieces. Not a ton of variety, but $40-50 colonies with 100+ zoanthid polyps or 15-20 acan heads was pretty sweet.

Display tanks were awesome...they one on the front counter had a pale blue favia that I have never seen before. WANT!

Gotta try to get there next time...they have GREAT acans!

Good to hear! I'll have to stop by and check them out. Austin AquaFarms specializes in Acans so they've got some insane pieces at ridiculous prices. They are 20% off right now so I'm going to grab 'em while I can.

Good to hear! I'll have to stop by and check them out. Austin AquaFarms specializes in Acans so they've got some insane pieces at ridiculous prices. They are 20% off right now so I'm going to grab 'em while I can.

JEALOUS!

When I get the IM 16 I am going to have an acan garden...will plan on buying here and from Glennr here on NR. He has CRAZY 5 acans for $99 shipped...and he is NOT stingy in # of heads he gives per frag. Really good stuff and a good guy to boot.

Those are great looking acans. We saw some rainbow acans last week at the LFS that were crazy colorful. They are running a 15% off and buy 2 get 1 free this weekend so we may pick one up today.

defender.TX

Picked up some Acans that are now in the Nuvo 24 while I wait on the new tank and light. Shot a few pics with the cellphone real quick while I wait on the replacement battery for my DSLR (updated shots are with the DSLR).

14242004067_eed16eb467_c.jpg

14241806049_f082efc95c_c.jpg

This last one is with the actinics on:

14405335396_af7cec6d2e_c.jpg

defender.TX

So I dosed KZ LPS Amino Acid this morning and the new Acans went nuts. I couldn't just leave them hangin' so I then target fed some Mysis. They look fat and happy now ;) .

Wow, those acans are hawt!! Why don't we get that kind of coral on this side of the pool.. Looking forward to see a tank full'o'em.

defender.TX

Wow, those acans are hawt!! Why don't we get that kind of coral on this side of the pool.. Looking forward to see a tank full'o'em.

I definitely feel lucky that I have a dedicated coral operation about 25 minutes away. It's going to be nice for stocking the tank. They have some insane Indonesian Zoanthids, too (seriously, they actually kind of blow my mind).

My PicO has been in the "Build In Progress" stage since 06/04/2014 and since he lets all of the tanks cure for 10-14 days I'm still looking at a few weeks before I actually have the tank in the house. My NanoBox is also probably 4-6 weeks out at this point. Bottom line is that this has turned into a waiting game for me! Oh well, just gives me time to plan my aquascape in the new tank. I believe those Acan's are going to be arranged on the side of one of my tall rocks so that they get some shade.

It looks like the next step is to order the MP10 and new sand (I'm not reusing my current sand) while I wait for the tank and light.

I definitely feel lucky that I have a dedicated coral operation about 25 minutes away. It's going to be nice for stocking the tank. They have some insane Indonesian Zoanthids, too (seriously, they actually kind of blow my mind).

My PicO has been in the "Build In Progress" stage since 06/04/2014 and since he lets all of the tanks cure for 10-14 days I'm still looking at a few weeks before I actually have the tank in the house. My NanoBox is also probably 4-6 weeks out at this point. Bottom line is that this has turned into a waiting game for me! Oh well, just gives me time to plan my aquascape in the new tank. I believe those Acan's are going to be arranged on the side of one of my tall rocks so that they get some shade.

It looks like the next step is to order the MP10 and new sand (I'm not reusing my current sand) while I wait for the tank and light.

I know that game, it's absolutely horrific! I have all the parts to set up my new tank, but have to wait 2 weeks until we get the keys for the new apartment.. And then i figure that the gf don't think my tank is the most important thing to move first :P

Does sound sweet with the placing of the acans, looking forward to see it when time comes ;)

defender.TX

Well look at that, here I am thinking I've got 4-6 weeks to go until I'll have my light and tank and both Dave and Chris email me today! Tank is almost ready to go and work has been started on the light! w00t.

14434632031_586edcaef9_b.jpg

Archived