• 3 months later...
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to The Great Salt Lake Reef

Evan127's 48 rimless reef

Aquarium

• Mr. Aqua 48 gallon rimless aquarium
  • Utah built overflow (1" drain, 1" emergency drain that surface skims the overflow box, 3/4" return)

Rock and sand

• Utah collected oolitic sand
  • Utah made CeramEco Vida Rock

Equipment

• ​Apex Jr.
  • Gravity fed 5 gallon ATO
  • Sicce Syncra 3.0 return pump
  • Eheim Jäger 200w
  • ​Eheim Jäger 150w

Lighting

• EcoTech Radion Gen 3 Pro with TIR wide lenses

Flow

• EcoTech Vortech MP10es x 2

Filtration

• Bubble Magus 3.5 skimmer
  • Chaetomorpha
  • Weekly 5 gallon water change using HWMarine salt

Background

Livestock

SPS

• Acropora carduus
  • Acropora echinata
  • Acropora microclados
  • Acropora millepora [blue. red.]
  • Acropora nana (possibly)
  • Acropora tortuosa
  • Acropora yongei
  • Montipora capricornis
  • Montipora digitata
  • Montipora setosa
  • Porite sp.
  • Seriatopora caliendrum
  • Seriatopora dendritica
  • Seriatopora hystrix

LPS

• Caulastrea curvata
  • Echinophyllia echinata (possibly)
  • Euphyllia paradivisa

Softies

• Briareum sp.
  • Xenia sp.
  • Zoanthid sp.
  • 1 month later...
Where'd the pictures go? On flicker, click the share and choose bb code. Copy and paste.

So, I've tried that multiple times and nano reef keeps telling me I can not use that image extension.

Dang you ran high alk on that tank

Yes I did. A severe mistake I have greatly paid for and learned from ;)

I just discovered Aquatic Log. I saw it a long time ago, but never signed up. I think I was looking for Radion schedules when I first bought mine. I'm going to input all my data and see if I can keep up the habit. Anyone else use it? What is your experience?

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking last night that it has been a while for an update!

No major updates yet. A week from this Saturday is a reef fest locally here. I am hoping to come home with lots of goodies. :)

Parameters are stable. I did tweak my Radion program for November. In September I implemented 12k in my 20k/14k combination. For 2 months it didn't really seem to make a bit of difference. I compared photos that I took before and after. Nothing really changed. Granted, that is a short time. I took 12k off as the color (and a bit of algae) wasn't doing it for me. Trying 13k for a while.

I have photos for an update, but for some reason Flickr doesn't seem to like my uploads right now. I will post them as soon as I can though.

In the mean time, here is my Radion program. I have been wanting better growth so I have slowly been adding higher Kelvin ratings to my photo period over the past few months. I ran 12k at the peak you see in the graph, but started loosing color, so I dialed it back to 13k to see if that helps this month and possibly the next.

15729755932_c8f69ec7ff_b.jpg

Radion program by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

To give some clarification on my graph, in case anyone is curious ;) I am running 13k at my peak with a 14k and 20k combination

The first dot you see is 9am lights on

10am - 5% all blue

11am - 25% all blue

12pm - 65% at 20k

1pm - 65% at 14k

2pm - 65% at 13k (30% cloud cover and storm)

4pm- 65% at 13k

6pm - 65% at 14k

7pm - 65% at 20k

8pm - 45% deep blue

9pm - off

10pm to 3am is moonlights. 15% with royal blue at 15% and white at 5%

I thought I would make an update to my thread and show some under the hood stuff.

Here is the FSS, or Full Sump Shot. ;)

15603817857_8e13540a3e_c.jpg

LSS FTS by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

Not the best shot, but everything is there. You can see my DIY ATO, plumbing, refugium, return area, and skimmer (which has totally been cleaned since this picture ;))

Hey Greg! Of course I remember you. Are you still at F4U? Do you have a tank thread going on here? I plan to stop by at some point and see what corals they have to offer. It'll be a quick visit though. Busy day tomorrow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay. I just snapped a quick picture of the new addition. It's already encrusted over the super glue and its color is getting back to where it was very quickly.

16037976111_a803ce8c28_b.jpgUntitled by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

The coral is about 2 inches in length. I'm hoping it will encrust over the frag plug and grab the rock. It's a branching coral so it'll fill in a good area.

Here is my red planet frag that has taken off recently. My purple bonsai on the right. That is my fastest grower right now. The color is amazing too. These colors in the photos are not really great.

15420272993_d94beb4601_b.jpgUntitled by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

Archived