Top Shelf Aquatics

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

Just received my mangroves. I bought 10 and the seller gave me 14! So happy. I potted 8, placed 1 in my main system's refugium and the rest are in my biocube currently floating (leaves out of the water of course ;) ) Will post pics soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, some of the mangroves haven't adapted well to the potting. :( The leaves are not looking that healthy.

I changed back to Natural Mode on my Radion a while ago and have since been bumping the intensity up 5% every 10 days or so. Currently at 90%. I also changed my moonlights to add a some red. Has anyone else done this?

Some mangroves have lived, some have passed. Who knew that when you put new plants in new soil that they parish quickly when there aren't nutrients in the soil. Oops :S

I will post pictures when I remove the sad looking ones, and the ones that aren't as sad are green again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

So, a few updates.

1. I saved a lyretail anthias from a fellow reefer. She is a pellet hog, let me tell you.

2. I got a steal on a fairly large Red Dragon mini colony. So stoked!

3. Changed the Radions to 70% peak intensity. After 80% I started to see some color loss, so I dialed it back and I will try to keep it there for the summer :rolleyes:

In the process of introducing the anthias, my yellow tang went crazy. She seriously almost killed the anthias in a matter of minutes. I separated them after a long battle. I have the tang in time out right now, but I am debating wether or not to reintroduce her to the system. I should note that she beats up on my clownfish too (which host the corner of the tank next to the tang's home).

17215455612_0426574041_c.jpgIMG_1118 by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

17030975659_16063e82a7_c.jpgIMG_1122 by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

Pinner Reef

Lookin good as always Evan. Good save on the Lyretail. It's kinda weird the tang got aggressive towards it. Hopefully the time out will calm him down.

Thanks man! I am hoping the lyretail stays happy in my system. I thought it was weird too. I was thinking that the anthias would be the aggressive one before I introduced her. I was totally wrong. So the the tang is in time out in my refugium for the time being. I initially thought I would leave the tang there for a week and then reintroducing it to the tank, but now I am thinking of giving it to a friend. Idk yet though.

Hey thanks Mike! Its a slow progression, but I am enjoying it. EDIT: I just realized you're another SLCer! Right on!

I am thinking of making a video tour of my setup.

WOW!

What an amazing tank, I love the colors your tank shows, and I like how the back isnt painted... nice touch. The coral on the back left almost looks like a tree, kinda neat!

Thank you! I originally planned to paint it black, but I got too impatient to get it wet. Its getting naturally painted now ;) My hammer coral kinda does look like a tree!

Mike Savage

Hey thanks Mike! Its a slow progression, but I am enjoying it. EDIT: I just realized you're another SLCer! Right on!

I am thinking of making a video tour of my setup.

If you haven't seen Mike's Photography skillz at the WMAS meetings you're missin out.

Thanks guys!

I have been trying to get into a better routine lately. I reevaluated my profile on Aquatic Log and set realistic daily and weekly goals. Previously, I had too many daily and weekly tasks that it became overwhelming, unnecessary and thus was never achieved. I reduced my work load and I hope that I will be able to stick with this maintenance schedule.

So, I have a question about PAR in my system. Before I begin asking my question I have to say that I do not have an actual PAR meter. I am going for a rough estimate from Aquatic Logs PAR calculator for the Radion.

I have noticed that based off my graph on Aquatic Log, I am running my lights with lower PAR for my corals compared to the recommended PAR numbers for SPS and to other hobbyists systems. About half way down my tank (18" tall") I am getting approximately 327 PAR at my peak for the day. That peak runs for 6 hours per day. Should I bump up the intensity a little to get closer to 400 mid way down the tank?

Still looking for some advice from fellow reefers about my PAR.

Side note, today I have spent the day playing various clownfish in anemone YouTube videos on my phone, which is propped up against the tank. My clownfish have never hosted my anemone in a year. I tried the pictures on the glass routine, but that didn't work after a few weeks. Videos seem to have some affect. One of my clowns sees the video and then swims next to the anemone, sometimes touching it, but not yet swimming through the tentacles. Hoping he gets the idea soon.

So, I have a question about PAR in my system. Before I begin asking my question I have to say that I do not have an actual PAR meter. I am going for a rough estimate from Aquatic Logs PAR calculator for the Radion.

I have noticed that based off my graph on Aquatic Log, I am running my lights with lower PAR for my corals compared to the recommended PAR numbers for SPS and to other hobbyists systems. About half way down my tank (18" tall") I am getting approximately 327 PAR at my peak for the day. That peak runs for 6 hours per day. Should I bump up the intensity a little to get closer to 400 mid way down the tank?

That sounds perfect, or frankly a little high from LED's. I'm not sure how they estimated PAR but 250 to 350 is a good range, more if you feed heavily. If they did not apply a 10 to 20% LED correction then PAR might actually be closer to 375.

More food allows for higher PAR and more flow allows for higher PAR. IMO Your colors look good, I would not change. :)

I think Aquatic Log does a fairly good job calculating the PAR for Radions, but what do I know ;) I played around with their Radion calculator as well as uploading different personal programs to my profile to see the data. They are about the same. Their data also seems to match what EcoTech states.

I know that with more flow you can increase PAR due to surface agitation, but what is this about more food?

Thanks! The colors are getting better everyday it seems. My "barometer", if you will, is my Red Planet. When I got the frag it was solid green, then the color started to fade slightly. Now it is getting back to the original green with the very tip of the only vertical branch turning a bit red. Actually, now that I look this morning, the polyps are a very slight red.

I returned the yellow tang to the display tank after 10 days. The aggression from the tang to the anthias seems to have diminished. I will definitely keep my eye on them both though. Plus I will keep them both full of food :)

Archived