SaltCritters.com

The Great Salt Lake Reef, Stay Tuned for 2.0

evan127

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Me too. They are very deep purple and fade into a blue. Then the base is green. It's weird, the colony this came from only has green at the very base and the rest of the coral is a vibrant blue. I'm hoping this frag turns into something similar as the colony

I'm very over due for a new FTS. The coralline algae on the overflow is almost entierly covering it now. All my frags are doing extremely well. Lots of horizontal growth, very little vertical for the most part. Good color too! Pictures soon

It's is 100% diy. I had a local class shop cut 10 pieces for me. I think with the glass and the silicone it cost me about $60 total. It fits my stand perfectly. Tight, but perfectly. I wanted the most water volume I could fit in there.

To be honest, I don't know if I have the plans that I drew up for it anymore. I'll look though. If that's what you meant?

• 1 month later...

Alright, so life has been crazy busy. I haven't just been lazy with updating ;)

I have run into some troubles with my system. Essentially I have been cooking my aquarium slowly. I have had corals bleach over the last few weeks and I could not figure out why. At first I thought it might have been my alkalinity. It has not been swinging too drastically, but swinging. 7 to 9dkh. Then I thought maybe it could be too much flow. Then too little. Then too much light. Then not enough. Then too intense lighting. List keeps going. But at the bottom of my list was temperature.

I had two of the little temperature probes you get at the LFS in my system. One in the display, one in the sump. I have used these before without issue. I also cleaned them regularly. In early December I calibrated my Jagers. It got really cold here and the aquarium is in the basement, which is about 64/65 degrees. The thermometers in the system kept reading 74. I thought it was due to the cold basement, so I cranked the heaters up a bit after the calibration. Still reading 74. I made another small heater increase. Still 74. This chase kept going for a few weeks.

So this morning while drinking my coffee and looking at my tank, I decided to test the temperature using a meat thermometer. I know, weird. First I tested it on myself to see how accurate it was. Put it under my tongue and it read 98. So that was accurate enough for me. Put it in my tank and watch the gauge settle at 86. Yep. Awesome. Thermometers were both wrong and so I calibrated both heaters incorrectly. Amatuer hour over here!

Moral of the story. Don't use those cheap thermometers.

Not to run the risk anymore, this guy got an Apex today :) FTS coming asap!

15814924024_1ed65fd248_k.jpgimage by Evan_Cronshaw, on Flickr

Not the most up to date, but recent and bright :)

Thanks so much KleinReef! This picture is about 3 weeks old if I remember correctly. The coralline is covering almost the entire overflow and most of the back glass now. And, most of my SPS are bleached :(

Well it's been 48 hours with my system is set at a cool 79.5 degrees. ;) And wouldn't you know, everything is starting to look better! The poly extension has been better, the clean up crew is 10x more active and the small patches of brown turf algae are withering away.

Oh, and my tiger shrimp has been "clicking" a ton more. I'm also pretty sure that he clicked in morse code, "thanks for breaking the heat wave!" Jk :P

DSLR February FTS coming today

I thought I'd make a little update.

The system is doing very well now that the temperature is stable once again. It's fluctuated 2.2 degrees since the Apex has been online. I absolutely love this thing. I really don't know how I have managed to make it this long with out it :P

All my corals have come back with such life. PE is great as well as color, but that is a slightly different story.

My big question is that I have two corals that have a few patches of bare skeleton. A seritopora and a stylophora both have small white patches without tissue. I've kept an eye on them for algae and my clean up crew have been fantastic at cleaning them. What are the chances the tissue will fill in those bare spots? Should I just go in and trim them out?

I thought I'd make a little update.

The system is doing very well now that the temperature is stable once again. It's fluctuated 2.2 degrees since the Apex has been online. I absolutely love this thing. I really don't know how I have managed to make it this long with out it :P

All my corals have come back with such life. PE is great as well as color, but that is a slightly different story.

My big question is that I have two corals that have a few patches of bare skeleton. A seritopora and a stylophora both have small white patches without tissue. I've kept an eye on them for algae and my clean up crew have been fantastic at cleaning them. What are the chances the tissue will fill in those bare spots? Should I just go in and trim them out?

If things are stable they should regrow in those areas- keep an eye on em. If your seeing good PE then they are happy and should improve from my experience

I've been dosing 25ml of alkalinity and calcium daily. Tested alkalinty before my water change this evening. It was 9.5 so I'm going to skip a day of dosing and test on Tuesday

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. I have been busy with life lately and the aquarium hasn't gotten the attention it deserves.

However, I did go on a trip recently and was able to snorkel off the Yucatan Peninsula. I had a great time, but it was a spur of the moment activity so I wasn't able to A. dive and B. take pictures. It was absolutely gorgeous though. Lots of SPS, gorgonians, sea fans, etc. Tons of fish too! Oh, and I was surprised by the amount of sea anemones there were. No clownfish (because they are not native to that area, right?) but tons and tons of anemones. So cool.

Anyway, I decided to simplify my reef tank. I wanted a more natural take on things. So, I did two things.

1. Flow is now in reef crest mode only. I think this replicates waves to some degree.

2. Put the Radion back in Natural Mode. If the data collected for Natural Mode was taken in Malaysia near the equator, its got to be pretty true to the sun, right? And that is the whole goal here right? Mimicking the sun in our little boxes? That's my interpretation at least. :)

I am pretty happy with the current status. Pictures to follow

Archived